MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

I'm going to need more nails...
#242148 - 12/29/10 07:12 AM Attachment: SAM_1443.JPG 1977 KB (0 downloads)

Stitching on the short wall. Due to the wall height I was forced to use two separate pieces of OSB. IRC (code) calls for midpoint blocking to "stitch" the two seams together. By "stitch" they mean "nail the fuck out of".

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I'm going to need more nails... new [Re: italie]
#242149 - 12/29/10 07:15 AM Attachment: SAM_1445.JPG 1962 KB (1 downloads)

And a shot of the future "Arcade Wall™". Around a ~28' run of usable floor space along that wall so I should be able to fit 14 or so...

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#242155 - 12/29/10 09:45 AM

Ugh. That flake-board shit is shit. You better pray that you never get a leak that causes it to get wet in the winter. If it gets wet and then freezes and thaws several times, it blows up and disintegrates into little wood crumbs. I can't believe they ever approved flake-board for external sheathing.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#242157 - 12/29/10 10:04 AM

Why is the 5th stud from the left side of the pic.... why is the space there shorter than it is between the other studs?

[edited to remove other/pointless question]

Edited by T0M (12/29/10 10:08 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

rediculous [nt] new [Re: italie]
#242158 - 12/29/10 10:12 AM

The things they come up with.

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

wow, good eye. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#242165 - 12/29/10 01:50 PM

> Why is the 5th stud from the left side of the pic.... why is the space there shorter
> than it is between the other studs?

Stud adjusted slightly to make up for a misplaced anchor. Bolt sank a bit and offset. It was either cut the anchor or move the stud. 24" on center is the minimum spec so there shouldn't be much of an issue, but I might be toe nailing in another stud if the inspector has an issue. Structurally the 3" offset isn't a huge deal, and either repair would have been fine. If I had cut it that would be one more anchor to drill/shoot in...and that is a pain.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I'm going to need more nails... new [Re: krick]
#242166 - 12/29/10 01:58 PM

> Ugh. That flake-board shit is shit. You better pray that you never get a leak that
> causes it to get wet in the winter. If it gets wet and then freezes and thaws several
> times, it blows up and disintegrates into little wood crumbs. I can't believe they
> ever approved flake-board for external sheathing.

You might be thinking particle board? OSB is rather solid. It's exposure rated OSB, and the finished edges are sealed. Short of the cut edges, you can rain on it without consequence. All my cut seams have been sealed, and the garage will be wrapped. Just as strong as plywood, and less than half the price.

If you think that is crazy, two of the quotes I got back from garage building companies weren't going to use wood sheathing at all. They were going to plywood the corners, and then foam board the rest....

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Arcade Wall??? new [Re: italie]
#242174 - 12/29/10 04:37 PM

In a submersible garage?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade Wall??? new [Re: GatKong]
#242177 - 12/29/10 05:32 PM Attachment: Foundation_Top.JPG 64 KB (1 downloads)

> In a submersible garage?

Note the raised stem wall elevation detail in the building plans, page 14..... Garage is on the highest portion of the yard as well. On average I have 10" of stem wall protection, and a foot of grade drop.

The tiny "Drainage issue" was taken care of in early October, so knock on wood I shouldn't ever have an issue again. I have a foot of snow in my yard right now, and 50 degrees with rain in the forcast Friday. It will be a great first test... :0

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#242180 - 12/29/10 07:12 PM

I've had a piece of OSB in the corner of my backyard for about five years exposed to weather. I've been trying to burn it too. I don't have many fires, just when I have some tree limbs, etc. once or twice a year. It won't rot or burn. I even poured gas on it once. After about five years, it has finally almost disintegrated. For sheathing, I think it is just as good as plywood. If you expose plywood to water, it will also fall apart. Like mentioned, particleboard will disintegrate quickly after it meets water.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#242208 - 12/30/10 04:49 AM

What were you building again italie? A garage for your car or something else?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#242210 - 12/30/10 05:31 AM Attachment: window.jpg 309 KB (1 downloads)

The house I'm renting had a window that would leak like crazy when it rained really hard. If you look at the picture, you can see that the jackasses who built the place didn't know what they were doing. The water comes right off the roof and runs under the siding since the flashing only runs about 4 inches up the wall and there's no "kickout flashing" to divert the water into the gutter properly. Just google for kickout flashing to see some of the horror stories... http://www.google.com/search?q=kickout+flashing

Anywhoo... When we pulled the siding off over the window, the flake-board right above the window and back to the corner was crumbling to dust. I suspect that it was leaking ever since the house was built. Many years of melting snow on the roof soaking the wall and freezing at night caused it to explode into crumbs. I refuse to believe that traditional plywood sheathing would have crumbled the same way.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I'm going to need more nails... new [Re: krick]
#242221 - 12/30/10 08:30 AM

> The house I'm renting had a window that would leak like crazy when it rained really
> hard. If you look at the picture, you can see that the jackasses who built the place
> didn't know what they were doing. The water comes right off the roof and runs under
> the siding since the flashing only runs about 4 inches up the wall and there's no
> "kickout flashing" to divert the water into the gutter properly. Just google for
> kickout flashing to see some of the horror stories...
> http://www.google.com/search?q=kickout+flashing
>
> Anywhoo... When we pulled the siding off over the window, the flake-board right above
> the window and back to the corner was crumbling to dust. I suspect that it was
> leaking ever since the house was built. Many years of melting snow on the roof
> soaking the wall and freezing at night caused it to explode into crumbs. I refuse to
> believe that traditional plywood sheathing would have crumbled the same way.

Wow, that is certainly a DIY wonder there...

That wood, as you said, has been wet for years and temperature cycled. If you never give the wood a chance to dry out properly it really doesn't matter if it's plywood or OSB, it's going to rot. I will give you that plywood might hold together slightly better under those circumstances, but that isn't really normal use. It's like saying my AMD CPU will handle a 300% overclock for longer than your Intel. Under normal, and even slightly above normal use either are fine.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: I'm going to need more nails... new [Re: Naoki]
#242222 - 12/30/10 08:31 AM

> What were you building again italie? A garage for your car or something else?

A garage. I might put a car in there one day, maybe.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#242229 - 12/30/10 12:15 PM

All planned and built by yourself? That's cool

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#242267 - 12/31/10 01:25 AM

> > Ugh. That flake-board shit is shit. You better pray that you never get a leak that
> > causes it to get wet in the winter. If it gets wet and then freezes and thaws
> several
> > times, it blows up and disintegrates into little wood crumbs. I can't believe they
> > ever approved flake-board for external sheathing.
>
> You might be thinking particle board? OSB is rather solid. It's exposure rated OSB,
> and the finished edges are sealed. Short of the cut edges, you can rain on it without
> consequence. All my cut seams have been sealed, and the garage will be wrapped. Just
> as strong as plywood, and less than half the price.
>
> If you think that is crazy, two of the quotes I got back from garage building
> companies weren't going to use wood sheathing at all. They were going to plywood the
> corners, and then foam board the rest....

Why do they even call that stuff OSB? The S in the B aren't O, but R, and they're hardly even S. More like C.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#242281 - 12/31/10 04:10 AM

> A garage. I might put a car in there one day, maybe.

Or in laymen terms a Man Cave.

Kevin Eshbach

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1716