MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Anyone else with a yahoo mail account having spam issues?
#242049 - 12/28/10 09:09 AM

My wifes yahoo mail account will randomly send out spam to a few people on her contact list. they appear to come from her, but do NOT show up in her sent box. She does get the bounce notices on the spam emails that fail to get sent. The emails are usually one line, hot linking a php page on a random website.

The only access she has to this account is via the yahoo home page on either her computer, or her sprint phone. Her computer is usually off, and is virus free.

I've been chasing this one for six months, and it only happens once a month or so. I've had her change passwords twice already.

Coincidentally I've received one or two similar emails over the last six months from people that I have contact with, that my wife wouldn't have. they were also using yahoo addresses.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped at this point, and she's refusing to give up the address....

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Anyone else with a yahoo mail account having spam issues? new [Re: italie]
#242055 - 12/28/10 09:44 AM

dunno but it's happened to me before as well. Stopped after changing the password for me though

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#242056 - 12/28/10 09:46 AM

> Any thoughts? I'm stumped at this point, and she's refusing to give up the
> address....

Isn't that just a spammer using her address as the Reply-To and/or From address? I think they do it to improve their chances of getting through, i.e. a real, non-blacklisted address is less likely to get filtered. Plus you get to deal with all of their bounces.

As far as I know, there's nothing you can do about it except filter the bounce messages. At least most people these days are savvy enough not to send you nasty "Stop spamming me" replies.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Anyone else with a yahoo mail account having spam issues? new [Re: DMala]
#242062 - 12/28/10 12:16 PM

It's just used for reply-to. Happens often for our service aliases at work.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#242063 - 12/28/10 02:01 PM

I belong to a couple of Yahoo groups. I've had someone email one of them using my email address. I don't think they were ever in my account because there was no sent mail. It still happened after changing passwords. When they sent an email to the group, it had my email but a different nickname. That's why I don't think they were actually in my account but rather spoofed my email address to send the message to the group. I wish people could not spoof other email addresses.

Another thing that pisses me off is caller ID. There's no way in hell that someone should be able to change that info but they do. We are on the Do Not Call list and still get many calls that we shouldn't. If I don't recognize the caller ID and they do not leave a message on the machine, I block the number in the phone. I think many of these calls come from overseas. I wish they could all be blocked!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Anyone else with a yahoo mail account having spam issues? new [Re: redk9258]
#242088 - 12/28/10 08:03 PM

> Another thing that pisses me off is caller ID. There's no way in hell that someone
> should be able to change that info but they do. We are on the Do Not Call list and
> still get many calls that we shouldn't. If I don't recognize the caller ID and they
> do not leave a message on the machine, I block the number in the phone. I think many
> of these calls come from overseas. I wish they could all be blocked!

What *really* got me was during the election to fill Ted Kennedy's Senate seat a while back. We got pounded with robo-calls from all sides. While his opponents generally identified themselves properly, the calls for Scott Brown came from a wide variety of numbers, from (000)000-0000 to what looked like legitimate businesses with no connection to the election. You expect sketchy people to be sketchy, but you'd think that someone trying to get a job making laws would at least pretend to play by the rules.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 855 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1172