MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Any MUGEN kiddies here?
#242033 - 12/28/10 04:02 AM

Not the Honda type...

I have absolutely no idea what I just got myself into, but the thought goes something like... Tekken Tag Trilogy.

Now I just need some pointers in how to create stuff to work... in 2D! Rather than the SF Alpha style gameplay like most MUGEN games have, it should retain the Tekken style gameplay of the first four games if possible. The game will still play like Tekken Tag Tournament though, with all of the basic moves and dodges from this game, despite earlier characters lacking these in the original games. Damages will be the same as the original games, but hopefully the balance of new vs. old will be OK. For example, Nina was progressively made weaker damage-wise in the series (for example, her unblockable flip-and-kick-in-the-face-while-stunned combo in Tekken 1 ended up blockable in Tekken 2, and the flip itself ended up useless in Tekken 3), but added new moves and combos to match, as well as the ability to kick you in the nuts.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Any MUGEN kiddies here? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#242039 - 12/28/10 05:03 AM

it should retain the Tekken
> style gameplay of the first four games if possible.

That leaves me out. I personally can't stand the gameplay of tekken or virtua fighter... not in the slightest.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Harry Potter thing going on? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#242054 - 12/28/10 09:41 AM

I didn't go to magical school... does that makes me a mugens.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: Any MUGEN kiddies here? new [Re: URherenow]
#242121 - 12/29/10 02:05 AM

> it should retain the Tekken
> > style gameplay of the first four games if possible.
>
> That leaves me out. I personally can't stand the gameplay of tekken or virtua
> fighter... not in the slightest.

Well, since the Tekken style still has to be adapted to a 2D SF style engine, I will probably end up adding in some supers and that to see how they work in a spin-off or crossover game, as unaltered Tekken characters would have no chance against a leveled-up Alpha style fighter. Street Fighter would win hands down in terms of speed as well, adding in Turbo mode.

My main thought was to keep the original look of the game rather than just hacking sprites from other games which has been done countless times in the past. It's too easy to turn Ken into 'Paul' and Fei Long into 'Law', but they still resemble the Street Fighter characters that they were hacked from, especially in Fei Long's case (and the fact that 'Paul' now does Hadoukens and uppercuts all day rather than sweep-elbow combos and power punches). Did I mention that the SF characters also look ridiculous in MUGEN? Whoever rips the sprites don't even resize them to fit the screen, so they end up with the 'classic' vertically-challenged 384x224 sprites in a square pixel game engine.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#242178 - 12/29/10 06:09 PM

Man, I've tried to get into MUGEN several times but I've never found anything that is stable. It always crashes on me, even if I find the pre-packaged versions out there on the web.

If you've got a version that's stable and plays well for you please let me know.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#242184 - 12/29/10 07:47 PM

> Not the Honda type...
>
> I have absolutely no idea what I just got myself into, but the thought goes something
> like... Tekken Tag Trilogy.
>
> Now I just need some pointers in how to create stuff to work... in 2D! Rather than
> the SF Alpha style gameplay like most MUGEN games have, it should retain the Tekken
> style gameplay of the first four games if possible. The game will still play like
> Tekken Tag Tournament though, with all of the basic moves and dodges from this game,
> despite earlier characters lacking these in the original games. Damages will be the
> same as the original games, but hopefully the balance of new vs. old will be OK. For
> example, Nina was progressively made weaker damage-wise in the series (for example,
> her unblockable flip-and-kick-in-the-face-while-stunned combo in Tekken 1 ended up
> blockable in Tekken 2, and the flip itself ended up useless in Tekken 3), but added
> new moves and combos to match, as well as the ability to kick you in the nuts.

Mugen was the reason I almost IP blocked the entire country of Brazil from my website.

Almost.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: Any MUGEN kiddies here? new [Re: Hizzout]
#242201 - 12/30/10 02:55 AM

> Man, I've tried to get into MUGEN several times but I've never found anything that is
> stable. It always crashes on me, even if I find the pre-packaged versions out there
> on the web.
>
> If you've got a version that's stable and plays well for you please let me know.

Dunno, I just grabbed the latest Release Candidate, with my thought being that anything else would be a little too old in this day and age. WinMUGEN is basically the MAME 0.36 of the fighter world, and lacks support for today's 'technology' (I think it's also limited to either 320x240 or 640x480, which would look like a postage stamp on today's 1080p HD monitors!).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1266