MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MASH
MASH
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Germany
Send PM

Balloon Bomber video >>
#241282 - 12/16/10 12:52 AM

I found a Balloon Bomber video with sound:)
Anybody here wants to add these samples to MAME?

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: MASH]
#241286 - 12/16/10 01:15 AM

> I found a Balloon Bomber video with sound
> Anybody here wants to add these samples to MAME?

Samples from a Youtube vid are sub-par, IMHO.

If the original video could be obtained, then perhaps that might be worthwhile.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#241288 - 12/16/10 01:31 AM

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: twisty]
#241289 - 12/16/10 01:49 AM

> > I found a Balloon Bomber video with sound
> > Anybody here wants to add these samples to MAME?
>
> Samples from a Youtube vid are sub-par, IMHO.
>
> If the original video could be obtained, then perhaps that might be worthwhile.

Just extract them from the PS2 disc ;-)

(Though, I don't know how Nicola would feel about someone ripping a file from his retail work to add something to MAME... kinda like dividing by zero).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: Mr. Do]
#241295 - 12/16/10 02:58 AM

> Just extract them from the PS2 disc ;-)

Well I have Taito Legends 1 & 2 for the XBOX, with the audio wired into my sound-card.

I've just been hesitant to go that route for obvious reasons.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

#241296 - 12/16/10 03:05 AM

> > Just extract them from the PS2 disc ;-)
>
> Well I have Taito Legends 1 & 2 for the XBOX, with the audio wired into my
> sound-card.
>
> I've just been hesitant to go that route for obvious reasons.

Hmm, I just checked and apparently that game was exclusive to the PS2

Quote:

PS2 exclusives

Balloon Bomber
G-Darius
RayStorm
Syvalion

Xbox/PC exclusives

Bubble Symphony (Bubble Bobble 2 in other countries)
Cadash
Pop'n Pop
RayForce (Gunlock in other countries)

Taito Legends 2 was also PAL exclusive on the XBOX, meaning it was one of the very few PAL discs to run on NTSC units,
but the games ran at a slightly faster pace.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#241301 - 12/16/10 04:30 AM

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

#241318 - 12/16/10 11:23 AM

> > > Just extract them from the PS2 disc ;-)
> >
> > Well I have Taito Legends 1 & 2 for the XBOX, with the audio wired into my
> > sound-card.
> >
> > I've just been hesitant to go that route for obvious reasons.
>
> Hmm, I just checked and apparently that game was exclusive to the PS2
>
> PS2 exclusives
>
> Balloon Bomber
> G-Darius
> RayStorm
> Syvalion

If the Balloon Bomber PCB is anything like Polaris hardware (and it seems like it is since it has cloud gfx in a PROM also) then all we need is the schematics since all of the sound will be generated with discrete components. A PCB might be required to fix the sounds if the schematics aren't accurate and we can get a dump of the cloud PROM as well.

Derrick added the sounds for Polaris directly from the schems and I helped to fix them to sound more like the real PCB be referencing components on my PCB which Derrick then corrected. That's why Polaris sounds so good :-D

In theory the same can be done for Balloon Bomber if PCB/schems are found.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: Robbbert]
#241319 - 12/16/10 11:25 AM

> However thanks for posting it, at least we know what is expected - and also the
> clouds which are missing from MAME.

The missing cloud data is a known issue
http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/set/ballbomb

A PCB will be required to dump the missing PROM.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Crazy Balloon video and Atari Hi Way too new [Re: MASH]
#241323 - 12/16/10 01:57 PM

While on old Taito games topic, Taito Crazy Balloon Video Arcade Game PCB video reference too.

I don't know if there are any remaining audio issues with Crazy Balloon. Just mentioning this video in case it may be of some limited use for comparison purposes.

o/t

A brief Atari Hi Way in action clip too.

Brings back memories of playing this at a Straw Hat pizza parlor in late 1975. By summer of 1976, I recall many of the Hi Way sit down cabs at places I went to were likely converted to Night Driver cabs by then. That bummed me out because I prefer Hi Way myself.

With Hi Way / Highway, being a single board, non-cpu game (and supposedly not using any roms) and with schematics around, it has a better chance of being emulated compared to other harder-to-find non-cpu games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: TheGuru]
#241325 - 12/16/10 02:28 PM

>If the Balloon Bomber PCB is anything like Polaris hardware (and it seems like it is
> since it has cloud gfx in a PROM also) then all we need is the schematics since all of
> the sound will be generated with discrete components. A PCB might be required to fix
> the sounds if the schematics aren't accurate and we can get a dump of the cloud PROM as
> well.

>Derrick added the sounds for Polaris directly from the schems and I helped to fix them
> to sound more like the real PCB be referencing components on my PCB which Derrick then
> corrected. That's why Polaris sounds so good.

>In theory the same can be done for Balloon Bomber if PCB/schems are found.

I recall only seeing one UK ebay auction of a Taito Balloon Bomber myself over past 5 to 6 years. I don't recall if it was pcb only or if it was entire cocktail table. I haven't been specifically searching for that myself so there may have been an ebay auction listing or two that I missed because I would be searching for other very specific items.

I don't recall ever seeing the manual being listed for an ebay auction nor the blue print schematics. Smit has paperwork (for Vortex) with one of the pages actually being previously a part of Balloon Bomber manual instead. The page provided a list of what the adjustable pots did for handling each audio sound effect for Balloon Bomber.

There should be a jpeg photo of that page over on MAME Testers web site in a Balloon Bomber entry.

ShimaPong
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/12/05
Send PM

#241332 - 12/16/10 03:43 PM

If I remember correctly, sh*tMAME has already supported the samples for Balloon Bomber ripped from the video.
I don't know the approach of MAME team about a sample.
But I doubt the accuracy of recorded sound from the video (Not from real machine "directly") because it is easily influenced by an immediate environment or even recording machine.
Especially, sample is not emulation/simulation (so it will be part of "Hack") and will only rejoice the people who enjoy playing the game.
Also I doubt MASH's "Hack" of spacewar. The main problem is that supported set has a prom or not but his hack is based on assumption that it "SHOULD" has any prom.

"Any company has no power to stop people emulating"
MAME is the emulator of no giving in the pressure from any company even if they don't allow

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: Crazy Balloon new [Re: gregf]
#241414 - 12/17/10 07:16 AM

The real arcade game sounds much more banjoey (a word I invented:p) . It's not too far off though.

Derrick Renaud
Discrete Coder
Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: The Local Pub
Send PM

Re: Crazy Balloon new [Re: Antny]
#241455 - 12/17/10 08:39 PM

Yeah, there are problems with the emulation due to unreadable schematics. The pdf is a scan of a spiral bound manual, with the spiral right through some component values.

Do not p-mail me for help compiling my updates, ask on the board.
Do not request sound for your favorite game. I work on whatever, when I get around to it.
If you have schematics for discrete sound games not easily found on the net, I would be interested.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: gregf]
#241488 - 12/18/10 03:06 AM

I don't think I have any paperwork for Vortex. That picture of the pots diagram is just some picture I found on the web from a Vortex cab owner, it was stapled to the back of it.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Balloon Bomber video >> new [Re: Smitdogg]
#241489 - 12/18/10 03:20 AM

>I don't think I have any paperwork for Vortex. That picture of the pots diagram is just
> some picture I found on the web from a Vortex cab owner, it was stapled to the back of
> it.

I didn't know that. I thought that was yours......okay. Anyway, good thing you grabbed a photo of that. Who knows when Taito Balloon Bomber stuff will surface later.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3740