MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Rumba Lumber pics & vid
#241048 - 12/13/10 01:53 AM

http://kold666.mameworld.info/Rumba.mp4

iq_132
FBA Dev.
Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: Smitdogg]
#241049 - 12/13/10 02:19 AM

> http://kold666.mameworld.info/Rumba.mp4

Nice! Was that an m68705 on the board I saw?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: iq_132]
#241050 - 12/13/10 02:20 AM

Unfortunately. It might be a while before it's simulated or decapped.

iq_132
FBA Dev.
Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

#241051 - 12/13/10 02:46 AM

> Unfortunately. It might be a while before it's simulated or decapped.

That's a shame.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#241052 - 12/13/10 02:57 AM

Unless someone was stupid and forgot to set the security bit (as happened to at least one other 68705 on the decapping page)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: jonwil]
#241053 - 12/13/10 03:03 AM

Yeah I've dumped one that way before, though it could have been a case where someone figured out how to read it and made a copy for the board or something and not something a "real" company did. Anyway 99.9% chance that isn't the case here.

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: iq_132]
#241207 - 12/15/10 04:34 AM

> > Unfortunately. It might be a while before it's simulated or decapped.
>
> That's a shame.

Don't worry, I'm working on it. Luckily it seems pretty easy too ;P

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: Kale]
#241210 - 12/15/10 04:57 AM

>>> Unfortunately. It might be a while before it's simulated or decapped.
>> That's a shame.

>Don't worry, I'm working on it. Luckily it seems pretty easy too

Good update so far. Thanks for working with this game as well.

Kale
Il Sindaco
Send PM

Re: Ok, got it basically working, just need some extra testing -nt- new [Re: gregf]
#241212 - 12/15/10 05:49 AM

> >>> Unfortunately. It might be a while before it's simulated or decapped.
> >> That's a shame.
>
> > Don't worry, I'm working on it. Luckily it seems pretty easy too
>
> Good update so far. Thanks for working with this game as well.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Ok, got it basically working, just need some extra testing new [Re: Kale]
#241214 - 12/15/10 06:11 AM

If all the emulation issue descriptions, from the wip page, are fixed...very good job. Good to see this emulation/protection hurdle may be a lesser challenge compared to other Taito games (such as Taito Cycle Shooting etc.)

--
What Taito protected in this case appears to be the behavior of the bird when it leaves the screen. At the moment, as soon as the bird leaves the screen it gets stuck, offscreen, rendering the level ‘broken’. The lives counter is also protected, granting you infinite lives at the moment. Some sprite animation sequences are also protected, when the player throws a wheel they become invisible for a few frames, likewise the death sequence doesn’t show fully.

Compared to other Taito games, this, on the surface, looks like a fairly light protection, but it will need further investigation to make sure the device isn’t doing anything else before the board is returned. Sadly Decapping isn’t an option in this case, because it results in the destruction of the chip, and the board is only on loan.
--

Edited by gregf (12/15/10 06:18 AM)

Kale
Il Sindaco
Send PM

Re: Ok, got it basically working, just need some extra testing new [Re: gregf]
#241216 - 12/15/10 06:29 AM

> If all the emulation issue descriptions, from the wip page, are fixed...very good
> job. Good to see this emulation/protection hurdle may be a lesser challenge compared
> to other Taito games (such as Taito Cycle Shooting etc.)
>
>
>
>
> --
> What Taito protected in this case appears to be the behavior of the bird when it
> leaves the screen. At the moment, as soon as the bird leaves the screen it gets
> stuck, offscreen, rendering the level ‘broken’. The lives counter is also protected,
> granting you infinite lives at the moment. Some sprite animation sequences are also
> protected, when the player throws a wheel they become invisible for a few frames,
> likewise the death sequence doesn’t show fully.
>
> Compared to other Taito games, this, on the surface, looks like a fairly light
> protection, but it will need further investigation to make sure the device isn’t
> doing anything else before the board is returned. Sadly Decapping isn’t an option in
> this case, because it results in the destruction of the chip, and the board is only
> on loan.
> --

Yes, they are all fixed. I just hope that there isn't any subtle bug now (I've already encoutered one so far involving lives given at your first play (4 instead of 3 with default dips), I've found the solution in the end but that is ... amusing to protect to say the least ).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#241217 - 12/15/10 07:00 AM

We should see if Kold will record like an hour of game plays before returning the board, though he doesn't seem to enjoy it much. :-P

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#241219 - 12/15/10 07:21 AM

>Yes, they are all fixed.

Great. Good work with that.

>I just hope that there isn't any subtle bug now (I've already
> encoutered one so far involving lives given at your first play (4 instead of 3 with
> default dips), I've found the solution in the end but that is ... amusing to protect to
> say the least).

Company manufacturer to any cheating arcade business using bootleg boards: "We shall put a dent in your arcade profits if you use bootleg pcbs of our products. Your punishment will be players having extra credits/lives compared to whatever the dip setting is set to."

Sounds like deserving punishment to any of the arcade places that use bootleg pcbs imo.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#241227 - 12/15/10 09:53 AM

> Yeah I've dumped one that way before, though it could have been a case where someone
> figured out how to read it and made a copy for the board or something and not
> something a "real" company did. Anyway 99.9% chance that isn't the case here.

Wait, is this a 68705P3 or P5 or no marking? remember the elusive p3 trick, if someone can actually make one of those bruteforce 2x68705 boards that dude made, p3 should be dumpable w/o decap.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#241228 - 12/15/10 09:59 AM

mc68705p5s according to Kale's update. Not sure how realistic that guy's board was anyway, building it quickly or it actually working reliably, didn't Guru say it was nonsense or something...

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

#241229 - 12/15/10 11:35 AM

> mc68705p5s according to Kale's update. Not sure how realistic that guy's board was
> anyway, building it quickly or it actually working reliably, didn't Guru say it was
> nonsense or something...

I dont recall saying it was a bad idea. I may have said its old and uses obsolete parts though, meaning it would be difficult to make it now. its a good idea and not hard to build actually (finding the parts is the hard bit) but usually P3's aren't protected and are rarely used so making it isn't going to help with the more common P5's. anyway looks like Kale got it playable with a simulation.

Kold666
Lurker
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Ok, got it basically working, just need some extra testing new [Re: Smitdogg]
#241230 - 12/15/10 01:10 PM

> We should see if Kold will record like an hour of game plays before returning the
> board, though he doesn't seem to enjoy it much. :-P

add to it it isn't easy to handle the camera and playing

Kold666
Lurker
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: TheGuru]
#241231 - 12/15/10 01:11 PM

> > mc68705p5s according to Kale's update. Not sure how realistic that guy's board was
> > anyway, building it quickly or it actually working reliably, didn't Guru say it was
> > nonsense or something...
>
> I dont recall saying it was a bad idea. I may have said its old and uses obsolete
> parts though, meaning it would be difficult to make it now. its a good idea and not
> hard to build actually (finding the parts is the hard bit) but usually P3's aren't
> protected and are rarely used so making it isn't going to help with the more common
> P5's. anyway looks like Kale got it playable with a simulation.

I'll try to convince him to loan the MCU with the promise of a replacement backup

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Rumba Lumber pics & vid new [Re: Kold666]
#241266 - 12/15/10 09:45 PM

> I'll try to convince him to loan the MCU with the promise of a replacement backup

Dr. Decap, based on what I've heard, will be happy to do it (for his usual fee).

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3503