MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture
#240531 - 12/06/10 07:07 PM

We got the JoJo's Venture USA cart. It unlocks 2 new sets.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#240543 - 12/06/10 09:14 PM

> We got the JoJo's Venture USA cart. It unlocks 2 new sets.

Okay, how does that work? The cart works with two different JoJo CD revisions?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! new [Re: Foxhack]
#240545 - 12/06/10 09:25 PM

I thought I explained this before... The main code and code revisions are in the cd's. The bioses unlock regions and tell whether it's supposed to use a cd or not. So a JoJo 1 USA cart is the only one we need for all the code revisions (different cd dumps) to run in the USA region. You mix this flash rom dump with a cd revision 981202 and you get JoJo 1 (USA 981202). You mix it with a cd revision 990108 and you get JoJo 1 (USA 990108). The carts don't have revisions, that would have been a pointless expense. There are tons of undumped carts too. I don't know what all they change besides the boot and title screens, haven't had time to look into it, but if it's like CPS2 games then it's a lot, like difficulty and fight order etc. The cds might have a Japanese front or have it in English depending on where they were distributed but the data is exactly the same, just the front cd graphics and the cd jewel case insert change. Oh and when I start getting the Mexico carts you will love the language long time.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#240555 - 12/06/10 10:51 PM

> I thought I explained this before... The main code and code revisions are in the
> cd's. The bioses unlock regions and tell whether it's supposed to use a cd or not. So
> a JoJo 1 USA cart is the only one we need for all the code revisions (different cd
> dumps) to run in the USA region. You mix this flash rom dump with a cd revision
> 981202 and you get JoJo 1 (USA 981202). You mix it with a cd revision 990108 and you
> get JoJo 1 (USA 990108). The carts don't have revisions, that would have been a
> pointless expense. There are tons of undumped carts too. I don't know what all they
> change besides the boot and title screens, haven't had time to look into it, but if
> it's like CPS2 games then it's a lot, like difficulty and fight order etc. The cds
> might have a Japanese front or have it in English depending on where they were
> distributed but the data is exactly the same, just the front cd graphics and the cd
> jewel case insert change. Oh and when I start getting the Mexico carts you will love
> the language long time.

If you explained it before, well, I must've missed it. I'm sorry about that, but do appreciate you taking the time to type it out again (or copying / pasting it.)

As for Mexico region carts, I'd rather you NOT TELL ME ABOUT THEM, THANK YOU. I get NERD RAGE attacks whenever I see the hideous monstrosities that the so-called "translators" hired out by these companies shat out of their bungholes. They're like the unholy spawn of Engrish, Spanglish, and Esperanto rolled up in one. They make Bumblebee Man from The Simpsons sound NORMAL!

ETA: Apparently, the Firefox spellchecker recognizes "Spanglish" as a valid word, but it doesn't recognize "Engrish" as such. WTF.

ETETA: And of course I'm grateful if you (or someone else) eventually dump the Mexico / Latin America carts. Just don't expect me to be very happy about the results!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! new [Re: Foxhack]
#240564 - 12/06/10 11:30 PM

I'm dedicating the first Mexican cart dump to you.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#240570 - 12/07/10 01:11 AM

> I'm dedicating the first Mexican cart dump to you.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: Smitdogg]
#240583 - 12/07/10 04:50 AM

when referring to "unlock" is when literally "add" more including 2 sets including that version?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#240584 - 12/07/10 04:57 AM

It will add 2 new sets to mame but I think unlock is more accurate since their main game data (the cd images) are already available. The cds contain the game and regions are sort of locked out from us until we dump the different region carts/bioses. Either is accurate I guess.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

#240598 - 12/07/10 10:21 AM

> It will add 2 new sets to mame but I think unlock is more accurate since their main
> game data (the cd images) are already available. The cds contain the game and regions
> are sort of locked out from us until we dump the different region carts/bioses.
> Either is accurate I guess.

Now my question is: why did they include several revisions/builds on the media?

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#240601 - 12/07/10 12:55 PM

They didnt include multiple revisions on the same CD.
What would have happened is that they published a version 1 CD then a US cart, Japan cart etc. The cart determined the region of the game.
Then they would have published a version 2 CD which would work with the existing carts.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: jonwil]
#240604 - 12/07/10 02:03 PM

> They didnt include multiple revisions on the same CD.
> What would have happened is that they published a version 1 CD then a US cart, Japan
> cart etc. The cart determined the region of the game.
> Then they would have published a version 2 CD which would work with the existing
> carts.

Ok thanks.Before, i've read it different from SD's posts.

caius
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/06
Send PM

#240645 - 12/08/10 12:38 AM

Hi,
some months ago (24/06/2010 exactly) I sent to [email protected]* the dump and some pictures of this cart and cd but I never got a reply.I uploaded the archive here:

[link removed]

Included in the archive is the CHD (I followed the Guru's guide to dump it and compress to CHD format) and two pictures of the cart and cd .Note that the CD label 'CAP-JJK-2' has been recreated using photo-retouch program because it was impossibile to capture in the picture.
Regards.

*New submission details: http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code

Edited by Smitdogg (05/08/12 06:18 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: caius]
#240647 - 12/08/10 12:52 AM

You can't link to roms here so I removed your link. Layne checked out the dump and it matched one already in MAME. We can add notes about that label although it looks like the actual "label" used in the notes and/or some chd names is what comes up in a PC when you insert the disc and look under the drive letter. A bit confusing just like how they put a different part number on discs with the same data and the same sticker number on the backs of different game carts. Layne is sorting it out for driver notes but we don't have all the puzzle pieces yet.

caius
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/06
Send PM

#240648 - 12/08/10 01:03 AM

Ok, pardon for the link.I'm wondering why I never got a response form MAME dev so I lost the credit for this dump.....sigh...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: JoJo's U.S. Venture new [Re: caius]
#240650 - 12/08/10 01:17 AM

They don't reply. You can submit stuff through me if you want, send me a pm here. You are misunderstanding about this dump though, it was already in mame, just labeled differently. So there's nothing to credit. If you got a different overall crc it's because you had some extra stuff enabled for the rip but it's the same dump as one we already have.

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

Michael Vick's Favorite Game new [Re: Smitdogg]
#240746 - 12/09/10 03:28 AM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

+Street Cred (nt) new [Re: JimmyU]
#240747 - 12/09/10 03:29 AM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4697