MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Another mini garage update...
#240491 - 12/06/10 01:41 AM

No more photos just yet, getting dark too early. Anywhoo, some should_be_common_knowledge tidbits I'd thought I'd pass along for anyone that doesn't know them:

1. Lumber "measurements" are more like "names". I don't care what you are buying, it's never as advertised. Take for instance a 2"x4". It's actual size is 1-1/2"x3-1/2", and previously was 1-3/4"x3-3/4". As an engineer, this pisses me off to no end.

2. Everyone and their mother will sneer at you DURING the build when you over-build something. After you've built it, those same people will express admiration as to how nice or sturdy something is. As an engineer, this pisses me off to no end and makes me want to smack people.

3. Building codes are never written in a manner to which they can be followed properly. Building inspectors will be sure to pull ~something~ out of their book of rules to fail your inspection at least once. It could be as obscure as a sub-section that references an update to a grandfather clause in the IRC 1852 that anchor spacing needs to be 3/4" closer than they are to an edge. As an engineer, this pisses me off to no end and makes me want to smack people that have approved the spacing ahead of time.

4. Menards has great deals on garage doors. As a cheap bastard this pleases me to no end.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Another mini garage update... new [Re: italie]
#240493 - 12/06/10 01:52 AM

1 out of 4 ain't bad.. err could have been 0 of 4.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#240499 - 12/06/10 03:04 AM

Whoa think I found more than I ever wanted to know about lumber sizes, grades, and the history of them.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf

But short story 2x4 when 'green' up to the 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 dried and finished (which is the min size they can be and still be called a 2x4). Also there are three levels of grade (or finish), junk, stud, and standard. Sounds like you got mostly the third kind. You probably could not even buy the first two kinds at menards/lowes/home depot. You probably would have to go to a proper construction lumber yard for them.

Also if I remember correctly framers do things off the center of the boards for just that reason (slightly varying sizes).

Sounds like you are going to end up with a nice garage though.

OH ONE tip do not get those garage doors with the spring across the top of the door. Those suck. I have one and I hate it and having to retention the thing every couple of years. Get ones with the large hanging springs. Those work MUCH better and are easier to fix when they break.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Another mini garage update... new [Re: lharms]
#240503 - 12/06/10 04:34 AM

> OH ONE tip do not get those garage doors with the spring across the top of the door. Those suck.

I agree. Why don't they make counter-weights anymore. Seems like the more "modern" and "advanced" we get, the crappier everything becomes.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Another mini garage update... new [Re: lharms]
#240511 - 12/06/10 07:11 AM

> But short story 2x4 when 'green' up to the 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 dried and finished (which
> is the min size they can be and still be called a 2x4). Also there are three levels
> of grade (or finish), junk, stud, and standard. Sounds like you got mostly the third
> kind. You probably could not even buy the first two kinds at menards/lowes/home
> depot. You probably would have to go to a proper construction lumber yard for them.

nah, you can get both at big box stores. The only catch is that the stud grade is usually labeled "Standard", and standard is usually labeled "Select" I've never seen junk grade, but I've never looked for it either...

> Also if I remember correctly framers do things off the center of the boards for just
> that reason (slightly varying sizes).

Yup

> Sounds like you are going to end up with a nice garage though.

I hope so. I've looked at it on many occasions and thought "too small", and other times thought "too big". Hopefully that translates to "just right".

> OH ONE tip do not get those garage doors with the spring across the top of the door.
> Those suck. I have one and I hate it and having to retention the thing every couple
> of years. Get ones with the large hanging springs. Those work MUCH better and are
> easier to fix when they break.

I might not have a choice, going with a commercial door due to the odd size of my opening. Sucks, but I can't find a decent insulated residential door 14' x 8' for under a grand.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#240519 - 12/06/10 11:57 AM

> 1. Lumber "measurements" are more like "names". I don't care what you are buying,
> it's never as advertised. Take for instance a 2"x4". It's actual size is
> 1-1/2"x3-1/2", and previously was 1-3/4"x3-3/4". As an engineer, this pisses me off
> to no end.

That one has always bugged me too.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1450