View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

This can't be retro...can it?
#240190 - 12/02/10 10:21 PM

I've got an aging desktop computer as my main PC at home. Oh sure back in the day, it was better than all, top of the line. Sadly there are hardly any current games these days that can be played on her.

So last night, bored and more awake than usual I get the idea to reinstall Unreal Tournament 2004 (Wait...2004? Surely it's newer than that, I mean way back in 04...REALLY? It's been that long already?). I installed the game straight from the discs and started playing. No crazy mods, patches, skins...just the game as it was intended from release.

Damned if I didn't have the biggest smile on my face all night.

Playing bots on the highest skill level brought back the thrill of 3am LAN parties with friends. When taunts were given in the same room instead of from some homophobic, racist, anonymous prick on the other end. (If you would have said some of the shit I've heard on XBox Live in person at some of my LAN parties, you probably would have walked out of there on crutches.)

Playing a game of Onslaught that used to take 15 minutes for me to capture everything, took almost an hour but the victory was so much sweeter.

Then it hit me....Unreal Tournamet 2004 is a RETRO first person shooter. By today's standards and graphics this game is a joke. I'd say most gamers today are so jaded.

The game still stands up to this day, with the standard built in levels, effects, and no mods. Just pure fun.

If you still have the discs laying around, re-install that biotch. Remember I told you so.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: Hizzout]
#240211 - 12/03/10 03:32 AM

But... I haven't played the original Unreal yet...!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

that 'n C&C. <nt> all I need. new [Re: Hizzout]
#240214 - 12/03/10 04:14 AM

> I've got an aging desktop computer as my main PC at home. Oh sure back in the day, it
> was better than all, top of the line. Sadly there are hardly any current games these
> days that can be played on her.
>
> So last night, bored and more awake than usual I get the idea to reinstall Unreal
> Tournament 2004 (Wait...2004? Surely it's newer than that, I mean way back in
> 04...REALLY? It's been that long already?). I installed the game straight from the
> discs and started playing. No crazy mods, patches, skins...just the game as it was
> intended from release.
>
> Damned if I didn't have the biggest smile on my face all night.
>
> Playing bots on the highest skill level brought back the thrill of 3am LAN parties
> with friends. When taunts were given in the same room instead of from some
> homophobic, racist, anonymous prick on the other end. (If you would have said some of
> the shit I've heard on XBox Live in person at some of my LAN parties, you probably
> would have walked out of there on crutches.)
>
> Playing a game of Onslaught that used to take 15 minutes for me to capture
> everything, took almost an hour but the victory was so much sweeter.
>
> Then it hit me....Unreal Tournamet 2004 is a RETRO first person shooter. By today's
> standards and graphics this game is a joke. I'd say most gamers today are so jaded.
>
> The game still stands up to this day, with the standard built in levels, effects, and
> no mods. Just pure fun.
>
> If you still have the discs laying around, re-install that biotch. Remember I told
> you so.

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

I'm with you Hizzbaba... new [Re: Hizzout]
#240225 - 12/03/10 06:20 AM

Great game to play against others.

I've recently bought a little wee Notebook so I might drop it down on that - and play with myself - wouldn't be the first time I've had to resort to such measures.

Love Sez.

Why won't anyone listen to ninjakid - he's being serial!

Pi
Allergic to life
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#240246 - 12/03/10 02:22 PM

IMHO retro is doing things that aren't modern just for fun and for enjoying them again. Thus, doing retro things is mainly a subjective matter. For me a 2004 game is not retro, but it might be for you.

The important thing is not if others think it's retro or not - but the fun you have with it.

Signed, the man who has played Day Of The Tentacle and The Dig this week.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#240255 - 12/03/10 03:49 PM

Do you need DOSBox to run it? Then yes, it is retro.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: Andrew]
#240256 - 12/03/10 04:00 PM

You just wanted to sat "BOX".

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#240261 - 12/03/10 04:43 PM Attachment: u1-36-05.jpg 12 KB (1 downloads)

I remember being floored when Unreal came out. I updated my PC to their recommended specs just for the release.

Load it up today and it really shows it's age. For whatever reason I remember it looking much better than it actually does.

The story is still really good though and it's still fun to play. Damn I hated those Skaarj

I even enjoyed Unreal 2 a lot when it came out but I remember it not getting such good reviews at the time.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Hizzout (12/03/10 04:45 PM)

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#240271 - 12/03/10 05:25 PM

> Load it up today and it really shows it's age. For whatever reason I remember it
> looking much better than it actually does.

That is because by that time, you could get into the game and pretty much disregard the actual visuals for what you think they meant to be. That is called "suspension of disbelief" (which has more to do with teathre and literature than with games, but works in the same way). However due to the advancements in game visuals, sometimes it's harder to get that suspension of disbelief with less good graphics. It is easily achievable when you get into a really playable game, e.g. Doom is blocky, but when you get into frag, it looks good enough. It also happens with nice games with good but unrealistic graphics, e.g. Katamari is *blocky*. Blockier than many of the Lego games. However it's as fun as usual to roll over a giraffe although my stuffed octopus looks more like a giraffe than the one in Katamari.

In any case, when you were fraggin' the unrealbots to death I bet you didn't think "omg, this looks terrible". You were thinking "DIE DIE SCUM DIE!!!!" as red pulsating images were going through your brain.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#240280 - 12/03/10 06:51 PM

Ah, Unreal, the game with enemies that spontaneously spawn behind you in a hallway that you KNOW you've cleaned out.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: redk9258]
#240285 - 12/03/10 06:59 PM

> You just wanted to sat "BOX".

Well, it is always on the tip of my tongue.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: Pi]
#240286 - 12/03/10 07:17 PM

Also, IMHO, in the same ways that arcade monitors help arcade games, CRTs can help computer games.

- Stiletto

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: Stiletto]
#240287 - 12/03/10 07:24 PM

> Also, IMHO, in the same ways that arcade monitors help arcade games, CRTs can help
> computer games.
>
> - Stiletto

Yes, definitely. 320x200 games just don't look the same in LCDs. Modern hi-res games are great, but for the oldies, CRTs are the best. I still think that filters aren't good enough, at least the ones I see in ScummVM and DosBox.

However, a good game will be fun and put you into the "zone" regardless of the graphics. Sure that ambient (visuals and sound) help for it, but IMHO they're just that, helps. If they aren't there, the gameplay can do the rest.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: This can't be retro...can it? new [Re: Pi]
#240292 - 12/03/10 08:13 PM

Quote:

...when you were fraggin' the unrealbots to death I bet you didn't think "omg, this looks terrible". You were thinking "DIE DIE SCUM DIE!!!!"

The thing is, I don't feel the same about Doom, or Wolfenstein. The graphics now look just as I remembered back then, and it's still awesome.

I look at the PSX1 or N64 games the same way. They were incredible for the time, but you play them today and they just look...off....not the way I remembered them to be. Tomb Raider for PSX1 was a good example of this. I remember playing the game thinking everything looked and played great. Looking at it today and I can hardly make out what anything is on screen.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#240297 - 12/03/10 08:47 PM

Not retro enough. Retro games must be run from bare MS-DOS.

My old games of choice are GTA 3 and Vice City, still played today with a link on the desktop (and accompanying PS2 DVDs nearby when I decide to turn up the difficulty meter via two analog sticks). Always preferred those over San Andreas (in fact, I would even play GTA 1 more than SA).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
2 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1727