MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Best way to clean a keyboard?
#238585 - 11/11/10 01:53 AM

So I've been using the same keyboard for over 10 years and it works perfectly fine still, but the keys are kind of grimy. Is there an easy way to clean them without damaging the keyboard?

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: mike20599]
#238586 - 11/11/10 02:12 AM

On most keyboards you can pry the keys off with a screwdriver or other tool. Most will generally pop off, and can be snapped back on later without issue. Once you have them out you can hand clean them with a brush or even in a dishwasher if you don't use a harsh detergent.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: Reznor007]
#238587 - 11/11/10 02:36 AM

> On most keyboards you can pry the keys off with a screwdriver or other tool. Most
> will generally pop off, and can be snapped back on later without issue. Once you have
> them out you can hand clean them with a brush or even in a dishwasher if you don't
> use a harsh detergent.

Yeah, if the keyboard is too cheap sometimes the letters come off.

I pop out all the keys and leave them in hot water + dishwashing soap, while I clean the keyboard itself with a toothbrush. Preferably someone else's.

S

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: Sune]
#238593 - 11/11/10 03:57 AM

while I clean
> the keyboard itself with a toothbrush. Preferably someone else's.
>
> S

Hehh hehh hehh hehh hehh hehh.

I have clean hands before I touch the thing. Hence, my keyboard only gets dusty, and I just blow it out. Every now and then, I'll wipe it with a damp cloth that's been lightly sprayed with a natural detergent.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: mogli]
#238615 - 11/11/10 05:58 AM

Fastest way to get a clean keyboard is to swap it out with the cubicle next to yours. You can wear dishwashing gloves if you want, but there's no detergent to irritate your skin.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: GatKong]
#238622 - 11/11/10 09:18 AM

> Fastest way to get a clean keyboard is to swap it out with the cubicle next to yours.

Ewww, I swapped for that one 6 months ago. Don't want that mess up board back again.

Moose

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

I am just visiting this thread to recommend a movie again and again new [Re: Moose]
#238635 - 11/11/10 04:10 PM

> > Fastest way to get a clean keyboard is to swap it out with the cubicle next to
> yours.
>
> Ewww, I swapped for that one 6 months ago. Don't want that mess up board back again.

Office Space.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Best way to clean a keyboard? new [Re: mike20599]
#238660 - 11/11/10 08:06 PM

> So I've been using the same keyboard for over 10 years and it works perfectly fine
> still, but the keys are kind of grimy. Is there an easy way to clean them without
> damaging the keyboard?

Read over there. Trust us.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1398