MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: Buccaneer
#238532 - 11/10/10 08:14 AM

I found this board labeled as Buccaneer for cheap and picked it up, wasn't really sure what it would be. It turns out it's a Pac-Man hack. It's in Misfit already (some version that used different sized roms) but now it's proven to have been sold to arcades instead of a recentish hack so it can be added to the official. I think the bootleggers started with a copy of the Pac-Man (Hearts) bootleg and then went crazy on it.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/buccaneer.jpg

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Buccaneer new [Re: Smitdogg]
#238576 - 11/10/10 11:27 PM

> I found this board labeled as Buccaneer for cheap and picked it up, wasn't really
> sure what it would be. It turns out it's a Pac-Man hack. It's in Misfit already (some
> version that used different sized roms) but now it's proven to have been sold to
> arcades instead of a recentish hack so it can be added to the official. I think the
> bootleggers started with a copy of the Pac-Man (Hearts) bootleg and then went crazy
> on it.
>
> http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/buccaneer.jpg
>
>

How can you tell a regular Hearts board still hasn't just had its ROMS flashed with recent-ish hacks?
Am I just being paranoid?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Buccaneer new [Re: Fever]
#238578 - 11/10/10 11:32 PM

The stickers are old and crunchy, the proms had a thick layer of rust on them so there is no way the board has worked in probably at least 15 years, there is corrosion on some pins, I doubt batteries that size have been made or worked in the past 25 years, I could keep going... That's the problem with adding real dumps to Misfit, nobody thinks any of them are real anymore.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

#238628 - 11/11/10 03:02 PM

> The stickers are old and crunchy, the proms had a thick layer of rust on them so
> there is no way the board has worked in probably at least 15 years, there is
> corrosion on some pins, I doubt batteries that size have been made or worked in the
> past 25 years, I could keep going... That's the problem with adding real dumps to
> Misfit, nobody thinks any of them are real anymore.

What's the story of these bootlegs? (asking generically), are they bought by operators because they actually think they add something to the original game?, or because they will add some variety to the games they operated or what?

Because I can understand some bootlegs that add something to the game (like it or not), new features, etc. But I could not think why someone would choose playing buccaneer instead of pacman.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Buccaneer new [Re: franciscohs]
#238629 - 11/11/10 03:16 PM

It adds new mazes. I'd say that's a new feature to people who have been playing the same ones for a year.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Send PM

#238631 - 11/11/10 03:34 PM

> It adds new mazes. I'd say that's a new feature to people who have been playing the
> same ones for a year.

Ok, that certainly could be a reason, but I as a player would rather play "pacman II", with the same graphics than these new ugly graphics, but maybe it's just me.

Or is changing the graphics better from the legal point of view in case they get sued?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#238632 - 11/11/10 03:44 PM

It's not like most players had a say in the matter which bootleg their local arcade would upgrade to, or operators were in touch with every bootleg company. "New" has historically brought at least a temporary boost in quarter spending. Why else would anyone upgrade a Double Dragon to Dark Tower. :-P

There's no telling what all motivated the bootleggers to do the exact things they did, could be legal, could be just to make their mark "I wuz here", maybe they thought people wanted a graphics change, could be it allowed them to sell side art and marquee to bring more profits, could be so they could try to sue or threaten other bootleggers who took their hacks and started reproducing them and if they didn't change the graphics it would be hard to tell/prove.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Send PM

#238633 - 11/11/10 03:50 PM

Yeah, well, I wasn't looking for a definite answer for sure, just what others thought about it, thanks!

Kranser
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/05
Send PM

#238643 - 11/11/10 05:46 PM

So in that case it could have been added to MAME ages ago then - if only MAMEDEV were sure it was sold to the arcades at the time it was added to Misfit!

I know MAME used to have a rule about graphic-only hacks which is why lots of things went into Misfit but not MAME - but Buccaneer seems to be both code and graphic changes.

Kranser.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Buccaneer new [Re: Kranser]
#238644 - 11/11/10 05:59 PM

> So in that case it could have been added to MAME ages ago then - if only MAMEDEV were
> sure it was sold to the arcades at the time it was added to Misfit!

Yeah although to be honest this dump is more proper because every rom is named correctly. But yeah. There are lots of games in Misfit that are the same way, plus you have some games that weren't fully dumped, like the bootlegs used different graphics roms than the originals but the dumper didn't want to dump them because they were soldered, and so those are a mess now as well. I think a lot of NeoGeo bootlegs are like that, though a lot are also "user hacks".

> I know MAME used to have a rule about graphic-only hacks which is why lots of things
> went into Misfit but not MAME - but Buccaneer seems to be both code and graphic
> changes.

Yeah they hacked it up pretty severely.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#238800 - 11/13/10 01:59 AM

> > The stickers are old and crunchy, the proms had a thick layer of rust on them so
> > there is no way the board has worked in probably at least 15 years, there is
> > corrosion on some pins, I doubt batteries that size have been made or worked in the
> > past 25 years, I could keep going... That's the problem with adding real dumps to
> > Misfit, nobody thinks any of them are real anymore.
>
> What's the story of these bootlegs? (asking generically), are they bought by
> operators because they actually think they add something to the original game?, or
> because they will add some variety to the games they operated or what?

What about operators who didn't HAVE a PacMan or their PacMan was irreparably knackered? I assume Buccaneer was a boat load (yeah, puns now!) cheaper than a proper PacMan from actual NAMCO (or via Midway licence or whatever)

JacKc
Reged: 06/04/07
Send PM

#238802 - 11/13/10 02:33 AM

Nice catch Smitdogg !!!

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Send PM

#238803 - 11/13/10 02:57 AM

> What about operators who didn't HAVE a PacMan or their PacMan was irreparably
> knackered? I assume Buccaneer was a boat load (yeah, puns now!) cheaper than a proper
> PacMan from actual NAMCO (or via Midway licence or whatever)

Well, my point being that if I didn't have a pacman, I probably would like to buy a bootleg pacman, not a bootleg buccaneer... Anyway, I guess that choice was available too, and choosing buccaneer or anything else had more to do with other features, novelty factor, etc. (as others pointed out too)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3904