Finally! new [Re: keshbach1]
#236990 - 10/21/10 11:15 PM

> vimeo.com/15532555
>
>
> Kevin Eshbach

Thanks for sharing.

Some backstory pasted from MAWS:

"GCC [General Computer Corp.] was founded in 1981 during the onset of the video game craze. C.E.O. Kevin Curran and MIT classmates Doug Macrae and John Tylko began by developing an enhancement for Atari's "Missile Command" and went on to create "Ms. Pac-Man", still one of the top-selling coin-operated video games in history. Between 1982 and 1984, GCC developed a total of 58 consumer electronics products that generated over $800 million in revenue for Atari and Bally Manufacturing."

"Having won their enhancement kit lawsuit against Atari, General Computing went to Bally Midway and showed them an enhancement kit that they were working on for Pac-Man called Crazy Otto. Crazy Otto was a character similar to Pac-Man with the exception that he had legs. GCC was going to bluff Midway into letting them release their enhancement kit by telling them that they won their lawsuit against Atari, and that they just wanted Midway's blessing. Midway suggested that they create a sequel to the original "Pac-Man" instead of an enhancement kit, and GCC got to work on Ms. Pac-Man. Ms. Pac-Man had two prior names before settling on the one that everyone knows. 'Mrs. Pac-Man' was the original, but some of the women employees at Midway had a problem with that, so it was changed to 'Miss Pac-Man'. When someone pointed out the third intermission, where Pac and Ms. Pac welcome "Jr. Pac-Man" (or Baby Pac-Man) into the fold, they changed it to the final name of 'Ms. Pac-Man'. Midway released "Baby Pac-Man" as a pinball/video hybrid, and General Computing sued the company, claiming they had created the concept of a Pac Family. They won the suit and were awarded royalties from Pac Family merchandise."

"Jr. Pac-Man was developed by 'General Computer Corporation' (GCC) for Bally/Midway and is essentially an enhancement to "Ms. Pac-Man" (which is, in itself, an enhanced version of the original "Pac-Man"). Much of the original "Pac-Man" code is still present and even the 'GENERAL COMPUTER CORPORATION Hello, Nakamura.' message that featured in "Ms. Pac-Man" is present.
Jr. Pac-Man runs on a modified "Pac-Man" hardware, with additional horizontal scrolling support. This was the first "Pac-Man" game in which the maze is larger than the visible area; requiring the screen to scroll.
"

"Quantum was designed by General Computer for Atari as part of a lawsuit settlement for a "Missile Command" speedup kit to which they affixed their copyright.
Quantum was the first Atari game to allow a player to try the game without inserting a coin. During the attract mode, the game allowed the player to move the comet to try to capture a particle. During this mode, the messages 'TRY CAPTURING THIS ATOM' and 'MOVE THE TRACKBALL'.
Quantum was also the first game to allow player to 'draw' his name with the trackball when he gets the high score.
Quantum was released in very limited quantities. Atari employees have said that there were 500 or fewer games produced. The original price was $2,095.
"

"Food Fight was designed for Atari by General Computing as part of a lawsuit settlement for an illegal speedup kit for "Missile Command", in which they affixed their copyright. This was one of two games; "Quantum" was the other. Inspired by the food fight scene in National Lampoon's Animal House."

S

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Scott posted Doug Macrae (GCC) presentation at CAX 2010 new [Re: keshbach1]
#237999 - 11/04/10 03:39 PM Attachment: jrpac.jpg 632 KB (1 downloads)

Did anyone notice the Jr. Pac-Man level he showed there (23:36)? I don't think that's in the game.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Scott posted Doug Macrae (GCC) presentation at CAX 2010 new [Re: mogli]
#238034 - 11/04/10 07:35 PM

> Did anyone notice the Jr. Pac-Man level he showed there (23:36)? I don't think that's
> in the game.

I assumed that maze was part of the development stage and never made it into the final release.

Kevin Eshbach

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Scott posted Doug Macrae (GCC) presentation at CAX 2010 new [Re: keshbach1]
#238152 - 11/05/10 11:25 PM

> vimeo.com/15532555
>
>
> Kevin Eshbach

Excellent! Somewhat different than what I have from PAX East (especially since it's just Mr. Macrae and not the entire GCC team.

I've been very bad about uploading it, but vimeo's a much better place than Youtube. I'll see what I can do.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2619