MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf
#236854 - 10/20/10 07:26 PM

We got a set of the Vs. Stroke & Match Golf (Men Version, set 2) chips to correct the dump in MAME. It was bad.

I'm not sure why letters are coming out glitchy on the title screen, I'm guessing it's a problem in the emulation code.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf *edit* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#236861 - 10/20/10 08:59 PM

>of the Vs. Stroke & Match Golf (Men Version, set 2) chips to correct the dump in MAME.
> It was bad.

Good update and fixing that.

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/smgolfb

Edited by gregf (10/20/10 10:13 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: gregf]
#236863 - 10/20/10 09:16 PM

I don't think the glitch is from a bad dump. Here's why. First I just dumped the rom that is missing in MAME. The CRC matched the rom for this position in another golf set. I dropped it in the set and it loaded the game up. It ran but with this title screen glitch and then it couldn't get much past the title screen at all before glitching out. So I dumped all the other roms. They all matched the current set other than the "1af" rom. After I replaced that one with a new dump (different CRC), it runs correctly but with the same title screen glitch. So the set in MAME was missing a rom and also had another one that was a bad dump. If it was a bad dump causing the glitch it wouldn't be from my 1af rom since it was happening before I added it and the other roms wouldn't match 100% to current dumps (no way 2 sets bitrotted the exact same way, too unlikely). I haven't dumped the security rom yet though, so I guess there's a chance that will fix it, I doubt it though.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: Smitdogg]
#236864 - 10/20/10 09:29 PM

> I don't think the glitch is from a bad dump. Here's why. First I just dumped the rom
> that is missing in MAME. The CRC matched the rom for this position in another golf
> set. I dropped it in the set and it loaded the game up. It ran but with this title
> screen glitch and then it couldn't get much past the title screen at all before
> glitching out. So I dumped all the other roms. They all matched the current set other
> than the "1af" rom. After I replaced that one with a new dump (different CRC), it
> runs correctly but with the same title screen glitch. So the set in MAME was missing
> a rom and also had another one that was a bad dump. If it was a bad dump causing the
> glitch it wouldn't be from my 1af rom since it was happening before I added it and
> the other roms wouldn't match 100% to current dumps (no way 2 sets bitrotted the
> exact same way, too unlikely). I haven't dumped the security rom yet though, so I
> guess there's a chance that will fix it, I doubt it though.

If you are referring to the line of graphics at the top of the screen at title, it's in the original the last time it was researched.

http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=805

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: Tafoid]
#236865 - 10/20/10 09:30 PM

No, the R and F on the title screen.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: Tafoid]
#236866 - 10/20/10 09:39 PM

> > I don't think the glitch is from a bad dump. Here's why. First I just dumped the
> rom
> > that is missing in MAME. The CRC matched the rom for this position in another golf
> > set. I dropped it in the set and it loaded the game up. It ran but with this title
> > screen glitch and then it couldn't get much past the title screen at all before
> > glitching out. So I dumped all the other roms. They all matched the current set
> other
> > than the "1af" rom. After I replaced that one with a new dump (different CRC), it
> > runs correctly but with the same title screen glitch. So the set in MAME was
> missing
> > a rom and also had another one that was a bad dump. If it was a bad dump causing
> the
> > glitch it wouldn't be from my 1af rom since it was happening before I added it and
> > the other roms wouldn't match 100% to current dumps (no way 2 sets bitrotted the
> > exact same way, too unlikely). I haven't dumped the security rom yet though, so I
> > guess there's a chance that will fix it, I doubt it though.
>
> If you are referring to the line of graphics at the top of the screen at title, it's
> in the original the last time it was researched.
>
> http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=805

No, he's referring to the stray pixels around some of the letters (the "F", "R", and between the "9" and "8") on the title screen.

The graphics ROMs are the ones labelled "2A" and "2B", and based on how the hardware works it has to be one of those ROMs at fault for the stray pixels. I don't see a "2A" ROM in your photo--did you really dump "2A" and it was identical to the one that's in MAME, or did your set only have five ROMs?

ETA: I've just compared "golf-2a" from smgolf and "gf4-2.2af" from smgolfb using both cmp(1) and a tile editor, and the latter is most certainly a bitrotted version of the former.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: AWJ]
#236867 - 10/20/10 09:58 PM

Oh I see what happened now, no I didn't dump a 2A. I was originally assuming the PPU was the 6th file needed in the zip but it's pulling the PPU from the parent. So what I was running was still using the 2A from the old dump and it looks like my rom set I bought is missing that rom. When I saw it for sale I saw the rom that was the only one labeled as missing from MAME's dump so I bought it, I wasn't assuming it had other bad dumps. It looks like it did (2A and 1A). So now the set at least runs, but with a title screen glitch and 2A needs to be found and redumped (I think). So 2A needs to be marked as needing to be redumped.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

#236869 - 10/20/10 09:59 PM

> Oh I see what happened now, no I didn't dump a 2A. I was originally assuming the PPU
> was the 6th file needed in the zip but it's pulling the PPU from the parent. So what
> I was running was still using the 2A from the old dump and it looks like my rom set I
> bought is missing that rom. When I saw it for sale I saw the rom that was the only
> one labeled as missing from MAME's dump so I bought it, I wasn't assuming it had
> other bad dumps. It looks like it did (2A and 1A). So now the set at least runs, but
> with a title screen glitch and 2A needs to be found and redumped (I think). So 2A
> needs to be marked as needing to be redumped.

It doesn't need to be redumped, just replaced with the corresponding ROM from the parent set smgolf.

Edited by AWJ (10/20/10 10:02 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU Update: Vs. Stroke & Match Golf new [Re: AWJ]
#236870 - 10/20/10 10:04 PM Attachment: 0000.png 5 KB (1 downloads)

Yes! That is correct. They only updated the program roms in the revision, not graphics. So it's all good. Excellent.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#236871 - 10/20/10 10:15 PM

>They only updated the program roms in the revision, not graphics. So it's all good.
> Excellent.

Hooray. Onward to the next item.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3265