MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Damn AmEx
#236214 - 10/13/10 02:30 PM

AmEx sends me a letter saying:

• Your account is changing for the better
  • More reward points at supermarkets and petrol stations (x3)
  • Less reward points elsewhere (x0.67)
  • More options for redeeming reward points
  • Interest free period cut from 55 days to 44 days

Do they really expect me to accept the unqualified claim that it's a change for the better from my POV? Looks like two big changes for the worse to me.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Damn AmEx new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#236215 - 10/13/10 02:50 PM

I got a Gold Amex card back in the 80s. It was kinda nifty whipping that out to pay for stuff. Until a mysterious charge of a few hundred dollars appeared one month. Turned out someone bought a TV and it wound up on my account somehow. So I stopped using it.

I've been using Discover exclusively since 1989 and have been very pleased. Except for the few merchants that don't take it, like movie theaters and doctors, in which case I use a debit card.

I get a cashback of around $20-30 each month which comes in handy.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Damn AmEx new [Re: Andrew]
#236260 - 10/13/10 10:58 PM

> I've been using Discover exclusively since 1989 and have been very pleased. Except
> for the few merchants that don't take it, like movie theaters and doctors, in which
> case I use a debit card.

Discover is pretty much useless outside USA. I have a Visa as well as the AmEx, because it's more widely accepted here - AmEx charges higher merchant fees, so a lot of shops try to avoid it. I only got the AmEx when I furnished my second apartment earlier this year - the deal sweeteners for signing up and buying a whole lot of furniture were worth about ten years' fees, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Damn AmEx new [Re: Andrew]
#236264 - 10/14/10 12:53 AM

> I got a Gold Amex card back in the 80s. It was kinda nifty whipping that out to pay
> for stuff. Until a mysterious charge of a few hundred dollars appeared one month.
> Turned out someone bought a TV and it wound up on my account somehow. So I stopped
> using it.

It seems like an odd reaction, but I guess credit card fraud was less prevalent in the '80s. Did you at least dispute the charge?

> I've been using Discover exclusively since 1989 and have been very pleased. Except
> for the few merchants that don't take it, like movie theaters and doctors, in which
> case I use a debit card.

I had one when I first started out, because they gave me a better rate than Visa. It was OK, but I always found I'd run into places that didn't take it at the worst possible moments. Once I had enough credit to get a decent rate from Visa, I dumped it and never looked back.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

ten year's fees? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#236265 - 10/14/10 01:47 AM

How much are the fees? I don't pay any fees for my AMEX. (USAA). I never really used it either until I found out that USAA gives service members a super low interest rate for a year after PCSing overseas. I swiped it for $3000 to buy my current vehicle in Japan

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Damn AmEx new [Re: DMala]
#236271 - 10/14/10 04:50 AM

> It seems like an odd reaction, but I guess credit card fraud was less prevalent in the '80s. Did you at least dispute the charge?

Yes they removed the charge no problem. I just didn't trust them after that and I had a bunch of other cards I could use.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: ten year's fees? new [Re: URherenow]
#236298 - 10/14/10 11:32 AM

> How much are the fees? I don't pay any fees for my AMEX. (USAA).

It's $99/year. You can get cards with no fees, but the interest rates are higher, they don't have rewards and/or they don't have interest-free periods.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 233 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2235