Pages: 1

pullmoll
frood
Reged: 12/12/09
Loc: Germany
Send PM

gEDA for capturing schematics
#211654 - 01/18/10 02:51 PM

It looks like gEDA is mature enough and could even be used to produce netlists in the yet to be finished XML format.

However, when trying to capture the first parts of Space Race in gEDA I'm stuck with two gates E9 both with pins 1+2 and I can't find the knob to turn to assign different pin numbers (13+12 and 11+10). If changing pin #s is so well hidden as it seems to be, capturing could become a very tedious job.

Edit: Never mind! I found it (e Shift+S for edit slot). I'll go and recapture Space Race then. If someone wants to do Pong or Rebound... go ahead :-)

Edited by pullmoll (01/18/10 03:27 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: gEDA for capturing schematics new [Re: pullmoll]
#211667 - 01/18/10 07:56 PM Attachment: table.png 44 KB (5 downloads)

> It looks like gEDA is mature enough and could even be used to produce netlists in the
> yet to be finished XML format.

It better, it supports umpteen netlist formats.

gEDA looks pretty good. A few things I don't like:
1. No official Windows support - and only some components have been ported. No easy place to find Windows binaries.
2. Interface is scattered design-wise between components. Severe multi-window, multi-tool design.
3. No eye candy (yet - http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/)

The "no Windows" may stop some people who might otherwise be able to contribute. Perhaps someone in the community can work on a stable mingw port of the entire suite. But I suppose anyone can use even commercial apps to create schematics files and netlists provided it can ultimately be converted into the format of your choosing.

Well, what do I know, it's unlikely I'll be assisting with that part of it. But it looks like it comes down to gEDA versus Kicad for free, open-source all-in-one EDA suites.

- Stiletto

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/04/10
Send PM

Re: gEDA for capturing schematics new [Re: Stiletto]
#211735 - 01/19/10 06:53 AM

I looked at gEDA's site today too as I really would like to help. My only thing is that my Slackware box dropped the drive a couple of months ago, and am stuck with just my work Windows laptop for the time being. As gEDA is *nix specific - and I can't install a Linux partition on my work laptop for obvious reasons - I'll see if I can't scare up a Debian image to work off of and run it in a VM for the time being.

Either a VM or a Live-CD w/ gEDA preloaded on it would be the path to getting Windows people on board if it's what was settled upon.

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: gEDA for capturing schematics new [Re: shadwolf]
#211861 - 01/20/10 06:29 AM

I found a Debian 5.0 netinst image (which is pretty bare) for VMWare today and added all of the gEDA packages. By the time I got done installing X and a lightweight window manager I prefer - Window Maker - the image zipfile is ~700 megs with no real fluff at all (I did add GNU make and gcc, but those aren't really fluff ;-)

Anyways, I was hoping to squeeze together a small image that could be distributed easily so there'd be a ready-to-go gEDA environment for Windows folks, but that's a little large. If there's any interest from anyone perhaps I could upload to Rapidshare or something.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#211865 - 01/20/10 09:42 AM

My vote to make available this "build" for Windows, shadwolf. It would be really nice. I normally work with Proteus, Multisim, KiCAD and Design Express on college, but I always like to try new suites, specially open code ones, and this gEDA seems pretty good...

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: gEDA for capturing schematics new [Re: CptGuapo]
#211893 - 01/20/10 06:33 PM

> My vote to make available this "build" for Windows, shadwolf. It would be really
> nice. I normally work with Proteus, Multisim, KiCAD and Design Express on college,
> but I always like to try new suites, specially open code ones, and this gEDA seems
> pretty good...

Yeah, that's a good idea, make it easy for everyone to access (although Window Maker? People still use that?) Carry on though

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: gEDA for capturing schematics new [Re: R. Belmont]
#211929 - 01/21/10 06:48 AM

> > My vote to make available this "build" for Windows, shadwolf. It would be really
> > nice. I normally work with Proteus, Multisim, KiCAD and Design Express on college,
> > but I always like to try new suites, specially open code ones, and this gEDA seems
> > pretty good...
>
> Yeah, that's a good idea, make it easy for everyone to access (although Window Maker?
> People still use that?) Carry on though

Me > stuck on Window Maker since about '98. I *love* it, as it's so lightweight and isn't busy. Course I don't use a file manager either (it's all Eterm's for me ;-)

That said, the primary reason I went with it here is because it's so light-weight. It runs very snappily in the VM on my machine, whereas I'm not so sure about GNOME or KDE (plus the file size is a lot lower than I know it would be if they were included)

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

#211930 - 01/21/10 06:50 AM

Well today I polished up that Debian image with the gEDA suite preloaded and ready to use. It's set to boot to X-Windows, and I adding menus to the graphical gEDA tools in the Windowmaker menus. Also made it where one would have one-click shutdown or restart off the OS from Windowmaker - I tried to make it all as easy as possible. One of the reasons I chose Debian for this was so that if anyone wanted something more to add - such as GNOME or KDE, you can use apt-get to easily install them.

The normal login is 'gedauser' with 'geda' as the password. 'geda' is the root password as well...

Keep in mind that I didn't load a ton of stuff on this image, nor did I try and make it look pretty. It's lean and mean, with pretty much just enough loaded to present a working gEDA environment in order to keep the file size down.

There's right at 700 megs worth of files split in multiple parts here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338456874/Debian5_gEDA.zip.001
http://rapidshare.com/files/338460400/Debian5_gEDA.zip.002
http://rapidshare.com/files/338463941/Debian5_gEDA.zip.003
http://rapidshare.com/files/338472404/Debian5_gEDA.zip.004
http://rapidshare.com/files/338476508/Debian5_gEDA.zip.005
http://rapidshare.com/files/338482314/Debian5_gEDA.zip.006
http://rapidshare.com/files/338486162/Debian5_gEDA.zip.007

The files were compressed and split with 7-zip. I'd imagine anything would extract them, but if you encounter problems, I'd go snag 7-zip at www.7-zip.org

To run this image, you'll need VMWare Player from:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Either open the file 'debian-500-i386-netinst.vmx' from within the VMWare player, or double-click that file to run the VM.

If it asks if you've copied or moved the image the first time you run it, choose 'copied'.

I'd download the Linux VMWare tools once prompted (the first time you run) so you can more easily move from one desktop to the other (the mouse focus moves seamlessly, there's automatic resolution readjustment when going full screen, etc). I've already preloaded them on the Debian image, so I believe all you need to do is let the installer download the tools - it will then let the image boot and everything 'just works' seamlessly.

If you can spare it, I'd set VMWare player to use 1024 megs of RAM with this Virtual Machine. That's what I use on mine and it's super snappy. It might run well off of 512 too... VMWare's default memory setting is 256 - I'd bump it up to 512 at the least.

I mentioned earlier that I've created menus in Windowmaker to a lot of the graphical gEDA apps. There's a menu for xterm as well for running the many command-line based applications in the suite. For a full list, look at the geda site at http://www.gpleda.org/

Hope this helps someone get off the ground. Now I'm off to see what I can do with it too ;-)

Edited by shadwolf (01/21/10 07:00 AM)

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

#211931 - 01/21/10 06:55 AM

> My vote to make available this "build" for Windows, shadwolf. It would be really
> nice. I normally work with Proteus, Multisim, KiCAD and Design Express on college,
> but I always like to try new suites, specially open code ones, and this gEDA seems
> pretty good...

While not running natively, hopefully the image and instructions I just left in the other post I just made will help. I don't normally run stuff in Virtual Machines, but gEDA is pretty snappy on my machine running within VMWare Player.

pullmoll
frood
Send PM

#211939 - 01/21/10 05:12 PM Attachment: pedit-2.png 21 KB (2 downloads)

Whoa! Thanks for your effort to make this suite "run on Windows", kind of. I think gEDA is the best of the freely available EDAs, even if it seems immature in some respects: it tends to leave trails of pixels when moving parts around; Selecting and dragging parts sometimes yields unexpected results, e.g. corners which stay in their old location.

Anyway, with schematics captured with gEDA you will definitely have something more useable than ExpressPCB, because the schematics file format is pretty simple ASCII text and because there are so many output filters.

Meanwhile, because I wasn't totally happy with gEDA, I thought I start my own. The first thing I did was writing a part library editor (pedit) and I already have a lot of the commonly used parts. See screenshots.

When I'm finished with the parts used for e.g. Pong I'll write the schematics editor (probably sedit) and see to make it use a schematics format that can directly be loaded into the TTL emulation.

Both tools will just require SDL and as such should run on all platforms.

Juergen

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by pullmoll (01/21/10 05:33 PM)

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

#211946 - 01/21/10 06:24 PM

> Whoa! Thanks for your effort to make this suite "run on Windows", kind of. I think
> gEDA is the best of the freely available EDAs, even if it seems immature in some
> respects: it tends to leave trails of pixels when moving parts around; Selecting and
> dragging parts sometimes yields unexpected results, e.g. corners which stay in their
> old location.
>
> Anyway, with schematics captured with gEDA you will definitely have something more
> useable than ExpressPCB, because the schematics file format is pretty simple ASCII
> text and because there are so many output filters.
>
> Meanwhile, because I wasn't totally happy with gEDA, I thought I start my own. The
> first thing I did was writing a part library editor (pedit) and I already have a lot
> of the commonly used parts. See screenshots.
>
> When I'm finished with the parts used for e.g. Pong I'll write the schematics editor
> (probably sedit) and see to make it use a schematics format that can directly be
> loaded into the TTL emulation.
>
> Both tools will just require SDL and as such should run on all platforms.
>
> Juergen

Hey, that's *great*. At least with this approach you'll end up with tools aimed specifically at the project.

I meant to ask before, how had you built the xml netlist before - more or less by hand?

pullmoll
frood
Send PM

#211977 - 01/21/10 08:54 PM

> I meant to ask before, how had you built the xml netlist before - more or less by
> hand?

Yes, the files are edited by hand.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Send PM

#212060 - 01/23/10 12:00 AM

Hey, amazing development, huh? Congrats, buddies!

I wonder if the image would run on VirtualBox instead of VMWare...

Edited by CptGuapo (01/23/10 12:01 AM)

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

#212080 - 01/23/10 03:57 AM

> Hey, amazing development, huh? Congrats, buddies!
>
> I wonder if the image would run on VirtualBox instead of VMWare...

It probably would - I see that VirtualBox is compatible with VMWare's vmdk image format.

It'd probably be better to wait for Juergen's tools though - I think that's what I'm going to do now ^_^

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Send PM

#212105 - 01/23/10 01:00 PM

OK, then. Meanwhile, I'll download the files and later I'll try to run them on VB. Thanks.

pullmoll
frood
Send PM

#212316 - 01/25/10 07:26 PM

> It'd probably be better to wait for Juergen's tools though - I think that's what I'm
> going to do now ^_^

You can give it a try now. The *.exe files and parts.xml and sheet1.xml files (containing a part of Pong) are at http://pmbits.ath.cx/pong/img/

I'd be interested to know how it feels editing / creating schematics with it and your wishes for additional functionality.

Juergen

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#212319 - 01/25/10 09:31 PM

> OK, then. Meanwhile, I'll download the files and later I'll try to run them on VB.
> Thanks.

FYI, VMWare Player is free to run VMW images, so if you're asking about VB from a price standpoint there's no reason to

shadwolf
MAME Fan
Send PM

#212432 - 01/27/10 04:54 AM

> > It'd probably be better to wait for Juergen's tools though - I think that's what
> I'm
> > going to do now ^_^
>
> You can give it a try now. The *.exe files and parts.xml and sheet1.xml files
> (containing a part of Pong) are at http://pmbits.ath.cx/pong/img/
>
> I'd be interested to know how it feels editing / creating schematics with it and your
> wishes for additional functionality.
>
> Juergen

I'll play around with it some tonight and post back. I'd checked it out a few days ago and it seemed pretty straightforward - will let you know how it goes.

I'm glad to see that there's going to be tools available aimed directly at what you're wanting to do, with the native output tty is expecting - that's *great*, and should really help gain traction for the project.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

bump again *nt* new [Re: shadwolf]
#243110 - 01/08/11 08:10 PM

> > > It'd probably be better to wait for Juergen's tools though - I think that's what
> > I'm
> > > going to do now ^_^
> >
> > You can give it a try now. The *.exe files and parts.xml and sheet1.xml files
> > (containing a part of Pong) are at http://pmbits.ath.cx/pong/img/
> >
> > I'd be interested to know how it feels editing / creating schematics with it and
> your
> > wishes for additional functionality.
> >
> > Juergen
>
> I'll play around with it some tonight and post back. I'd checked it out a few days
> ago and it seemed pretty straightforward - will let you know how it goes.
>
> I'm glad to see that there's going to be tools available aimed directly at what
> you're wanting to do, with the native output tty is expecting - that's *great*, and
> should really help gain traction for the project.

sorry mods....

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: bump again *nt* new [Re: Stiletto]
#280749 - 03/28/12 05:59 PM

> > > > It'd probably be better to wait for Juergen's tools though - I think that's
> what
> > > I'm
> > > > going to do now ^_^
> > >
> > > You can give it a try now. The *.exe files and parts.xml and sheet1.xml files
> > > (containing a part of Pong) are at http://pmbits.ath.cx/pong/img/
> > >
> > > I'd be interested to know how it feels editing / creating schematics with it and
> > your
> > > wishes for additional functionality.
> > >
> > > Juergen
> >
> > I'll play around with it some tonight and post back. I'd checked it out a few days
> > ago and it seemed pretty straightforward - will let you know how it goes.
> >
> > I'm glad to see that there's going to be tools available aimed directly at what
> > you're wanting to do, with the native output tty is expecting - that's *great*, and
> > should really help gain traction for the project.
>
> sorry mods....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3063