MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Newbie Q
#196224 - 07/16/09 07:26 AM

I've been playing around with .lay files to create new effects. Remember, I'm just getting started to understand MAME, so my question may seem retarded to you.

I can manipulate .lay files within their normal limits pretty well, so I think I understand how they work with MAME reasonably so. I'm also reasonable (although self-taught) with c code.

My challenge arises because I'm trying to do more with a .lay file than it was probably originally intended to do.

I assumed .lay files were executed by MAME.exe, so I was trying to add c code scripting into a .lay file. Since my c code scripts put within .lay files don't work at all, I gather either:
1. They are not executed the way I thought they were, they merely define parameters.
2. They are executed, but straight c code script isn't recognized from a .lay file outside of what MAME is looking for (I can't define new functions from there).
3. I've had a stroke, and a small nudge will provide new clarity.

Thanks

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Newbie Q new [Re: GatKong]
#196228 - 07/16/09 07:41 AM

if this is the kind of thing you're doing, you should look at something like the Doctor Who fruit machine layout to get an idea of what's possible through abusing the system. http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=artwork&Number=193933

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Any relation to Suzie Q? new [Re: GatKong]
#196246 - 07/16/09 02:18 PM

> I've been playing around with .lay files to create new effects. Remember, I'm just
> getting started to understand MAME, so my question may seem retarded to you.
>
> I can manipulate .lay files within their normal limits pretty well, so I think I
> understand how they work with MAME reasonably so. I'm also reasonable (although
> self-taught) with c code.
>
> My challenge arises because I'm trying to do more with a .lay file than it was
> probably originally intended to do.
>
> I assumed .lay files were executed by MAME.exe, so I was trying to add c code
> scripting into a .lay file. Since my c code scripts put within .lay files don't work
> at all, I gather either:
> 1. They are not executed the way I thought they were, they merely define parameters.
> 2. They are executed, but straight c code script isn't recognized from a .lay file
> outside of what MAME is looking for (I can't define new functions from there).
> 3. I've had a stroke, and a small nudge will provide new clarity.
>
> Thanks

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Newbie Q new [Re: GatKong]
#196295 - 07/16/09 08:51 PM

> I assumed .lay files were executed by MAME.exe, so I was trying to add c code
> scripting into a .lay file.

.lay files are a custom form of XML defined by Aaron, full stop. You can't put other languages in them. It's not executable

Edited by R. Belmont (07/16/09 08:52 PM)

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Newbie Q new [Re: R. Belmont]
#196321 - 07/17/09 12:55 AM

Thanks RB!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3754