Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills
#112089 - 05/26/07 12:35 AM

http://www.computerworld.com/action/arti..._ES&nlid=42

I was surprised to find C on the list.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: Andrew]
#112233 - 05/27/07 06:23 AM

Software development skills are dying out in general. Now you get "software engineers" who don't understand memory management, O(n) algorithm complexity/performance issues, scalability, modularity, etc. You get people build things ad-hoc without doing any up-front design, and they have to completely rebuild it when they fond that it doesn't scale, or uses too much memory, or doesn't perform. You get people who don't understand the basics of round-trip data integrity and testing that code actually does what you intend before checking it in. It's the day of the cowboy coder.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#112370 - 05/28/07 08:38 PM

> Software development skills are dying out in general. Now you get "software
> engineers" who don't understand memory management, O(n) algorithm
> complexity/performance issues, scalability, modularity, etc. You get people build
> things ad-hoc without doing any up-front design, and they have to completely rebuild
> it when they fond that it doesn't scale, or uses too much memory, or doesn't perform.

Plus you get people who've never touched anything but Visual Studio, don't know how to operate a command line, and think everything uses the Win32 API. Some days I suspect the Xbox and Windows Mobile exist just to make those people employable so universities can continue to dumb down and not get called on it. (The irony of course is that MS themselves don't hire people like that - their interview process is much more stringent).

Edited by R. Belmont (05/28/07 08:39 PM)

Paratech
MAME (NeoGeo) Fanboy
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Franklin, Pa
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: R. Belmont]
#112440 - 05/29/07 07:07 AM

Hmmm, and I was mad Clarion University of PA was teaching COBOL in 2000. Three semesters @ $500 a course wasted. I know Universities like to waste students money, but damn, I thought it was a waste in the 80s when I took it up at a Vo-Tech school. (1986)

> > Software development skills are dying out in general. Now you get "software
> > engineers" who don't understand memory management, O(n) algorithm
> > complexity/performance issues, scalability, modularity, etc. You get people build
> > things ad-hoc without doing any up-front design, and they have to completely
> rebuild
> > it when they fond that it doesn't scale, or uses too much memory, or doesn't
> perform.
>
> Plus you get people who've never touched anything but Visual Studio, don't know how
> to operate a command line, and think everything uses the Win32 API. Some days I
> suspect the Xbox and Windows Mobile exist just to make those people employable so
> universities can continue to dumb down and not get called on it. (The irony of course
> is that MS themselves don't hire people like that - their interview process is much
> more stringent).

-MAME, not just for preserving Pac Man, but for preserving all games, even the crappy and unfinished ones...
-MAME isn't a Democracy, end users can't vote...

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: R. Belmont]
#112541 - 05/30/07 08:14 AM

> Plus you get people who've never touched anything but Visual Studio, don't know how
> to operate a command line, and think everything uses the Win32 API. Some days I
> suspect the Xbox and Windows Mobile exist just to make those people employable so
> universities can continue to dumb down and not get called on it. (The irony of course
> is that MS themselves don't hire people like that - their interview process is much
> more stringent).

Err, isn't "everything uses Win32" pretty much Microsoft's dream vision of the future of IT?

Paratech
MAME (NeoGeo) Fanboy
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Franklin, Pa
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: AWJ]
#112658 - 05/31/07 06:07 AM

> > Plus you get people who've never touched anything but Visual Studio, don't know how
> > to operate a command line, and think everything uses the Win32 API. Some days I
> > suspect the Xbox and Windows Mobile exist just to make those people employable so
> > universities can continue to dumb down and not get called on it. (The irony of
> course
> > is that MS themselves don't hire people like that - their interview process is much
> > more stringent).
>
> Err, isn't "everything uses Win32" pretty much Microsoft's dream vision of the future
> of IT?

Wouldn't it be Win64?

I'm sure they'd love to kill the 32 bit archetecture!

Vista with DRM baby, it's da future!

and Palladium, you buy the hardware we permit you use, on the software we permit you to buy, so buh bye to free software!

MS wants to you!

-MAME, not just for preserving Pac Man, but for preserving all games, even the crappy and unfinished ones...
-MAME isn't a Democracy, end users can't vote...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills new [Re: Paratech]
#112766 - 06/01/07 03:12 PM

> I'm sure they'd love to kill the 32 bit archetecture!
>
> Vista with DRM baby, it's da future!

I run both 32 and 64 bit Vista and I've still not noticed any extra DRM that all the Microsoft haters seem to suggest is there. Maybe my use isn't typical, but maybe it is.

> and Palladium, you buy the hardware we permit you use, on the software we permit you
> to buy, so buh bye to free software!

Microsoft have always supported developers, they have some free software development tools available right now. All I've heard about Palladium was that you could write software that could interface to other bits of trusted software ( and only software that was trusted ). Which you could moan would prevent you from writing a free alternative. Any other software you write would run, but you would have to get your software signed if you wanted it to interact with something that only wants to talk to you if you are trusted.

> MS wants to you!

They want everyone writing software for Windows. They could try pushing people down the same route as the xbox 360, where you can write and run your own software written in .net if you pay a subscription. I don't think it's likely for the desktop, but you never know.

smf

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4484