MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

ahh
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/13
Send PM

MAME4droid (0.262) custom build for Meta Quest devices.
#397961 - 02/15/24 09:57 PM

I have done a custom build of MAME4droid to work better on Meta Quest devices.

It is only a 2D android application that does not use the oculus SDK which would cause GPL licensing problems. Oculus SDK would't do much good except to use touch controllers since, in addition, the 3D rendering in MAME is done by software so there would not be stereoscopic effect in any case.

To use the application it is best to use hand tracking and pair a bluetooth controller like the Xbox One that is automatically detected to play games.

I have realized that classic games (included neogeo) work very well and it is awesome to run them in mixed reality mode on a huge screen with a crt shader enabled . The artwork and frontend images look spectacular and the latency is very good. However, performance is poor with demanding drivers. I have tested on a Quest 3.

It seems that the CPU level for 2D applications is low by default. The only way I can think to change this would be to use OpenXR as Amanda M. Watson has done with Citra, but it would be a lot of effort for little benefict. It is better to use a third-party application like game optimizer, i think.

You can download from here for sideloading:

https://github.com/seleuco/MAME4droid-2024/releases

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: MAME4droid (0.262) custom build for Meta Quest devices. new [Re: ahh]
#397962 - 02/15/24 11:44 PM

Awesome! Thanks! Just when I thought I wasn't messing with my Quest 3 for a long while...

The controllers suck and I had to send the right one in for an RMA. Damn thing drifts all over the place, and I'm not talking analog stick drift... the whole controller image complete with your virtual hand moves around everywhere (try playing beat saber like that!). Turns out a lot of people get this issue out of the blue. Do NOT lose your receipt...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Thanks. (edited) new [Re: ahh]
#397966 - 02/16/24 12:54 PM

I'm going to try out Phoenix on my Amazon HD tablet and Moto phone.

Edited: I had to use MAME PC version to make the phoenix.cfg with the screen rotate laying to the left side. The MAME4droid 2024 Portrait mode enabled wouldn't work for some reason.

No issue on the PS4 controller set up. Took me some time to go back to the MAME games list screen. Moto Phone doesn't have a back button. Just a swap to the right to go back. Show a white left arrow on the screen.

Edited by Dullaron (02/16/24 03:54 PM)

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 198