MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear
#397843 - 02/02/24 07:21 AM

Do not send paypal to me, it will need to get sent directly to another DU member heading the expedition (Coolmod).

If you want to donate, PayPal to Coolmod directly - [email protected]

What is happening: some DU members are flying across the country at the beginning of next month and getting access to these machines to dump the Galaxian 3 disc and Attack of the Zolgear chips and disc. There's a long story of getting to this point but here we are.

What is needed: though they have the money for the stuff - plane tickets, gas, car rental, rooms and building of a domesday laserdisc reader but if you want to help and don't think they should have to pay all that out of pocket plus missing work time plus dealing with wives that now are sure they married mad men, you can help out with PayPal.

Peaceski

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: Smitdogg]
#397852 - 02/02/24 01:26 PM

* Waves hello *

You are missed by long time Loonybinners. It’s a request to drop by there and post.
Maybe kick some butts too. The time you absolutely pissed off Fazeo when he was celebrating NFL NE Patriots first Super Bowl win was the most memorable imo. All you did was comment about the extra large size image of the Lombardi trophy on all of Fazeo’s MW posts at the time when you replied to Fazeo with “Don’t you think you’re overdoing it with that image being posted?” And then that pissed off Fazeo. I had to have been laughing for a couple minutes when reading that exchange between you and Faz back in 2001. One of the many times old Loonybin forum era had its moments.

-
Happy New Year Loonies
01/05/24

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1
-

> What is happening: some DU members are flying across the country at the beginning of next month and getting access to these machines to dump the Galaxian 3 disc and Attack of the Zolgear chips and disc. There's a long story of getting to this point but here we are.

Now that will be something for this year. Probably the tops unless Bouncer comes along unexpectedly and joins in being emulated this year. *wishful thinking, but with sarcasm*

> What is needed: though they have the money for the stuff - plane tickets, gas, car rental, rooms and building of a domesday laserdisc reader but if you want to help and don't think they should have to pay all that out of pocket plus missing work time plus dealing with wives that now are sure they married mad men, you can help out with PayPal.

> “plus dealing with wives that now are sure they married mad men”

LOL. Okay…..you convinced me with that line.

I know I need to save money to cover other expenses, but this is effort is worthwhile.
How often is there an opportunity for this to be able to happen?

Someone should do a similar approach to what Eric did last year. Almost everything such as videos of actual cab gameplay if possible, photos off all machine components, pcb, discs, and especially cab photos, control panels…..everything to document the heck out of the system in hopes maybe there will be material to do artwork rendering of the cab for external artwork etc.

Um Jammer Lammy NOW! Video Series
UmEricYockey

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIPh6eZvWafg64aIWhOl4ly3u7rzUqvVM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#397853 - 02/02/24 02:37 PM

> What is needed: though they have the money for the stuff - plane tickets, gas, car
> rental, rooms and building of a domesday laserdisc reader

Please also pass along that the player must be calibrated before dumping, that there should be no log messages about player skips during dumping, and that they should attempt to at least partially decode the dump before leaving. There've been multiple instances now of LaserDisc dumps that ended up being bad when I went to decode them, because the person dumping them didn't do any verification at the time.

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

#397856 - 02/02/24 06:44 PM

This is great news. So glad to hear it.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#397863 - 02/03/24 04:27 AM

Just WOW!

As if the things that have happened already for LD games in MAME this year wasn't amazing enough.
As MooglyGuy implied, it would be a total shame if such an opportunity was missed because of lack of experience.
Depending on where this is happening, I wonder if maybe Matt O or Warren O would be interested in taking the day to lend a hand?

There is no law in the arena

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#397864 - 02/03/24 05:15 AM

I vaguely recall a web site maybe 10-15 years ago chronicling one guy in Europe going and dismantling a Galaxian 3 and hauling it back to his house? Is that fellow still in the mix for this? He kept pleading for help w/ dumping and LD preservation.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: John IV]
#397865 - 02/03/24 05:39 AM

You are talking about DarthNuno.

He did everything he could at the time to try and preserve it, I believe the current dump and LD captures are because of him, but he did eventually sell it.

http://www.dragonslairfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=231&sid=381a344c4f5b37fe581abde4e6612c50

And here he is right here begging for someone to take him up on his offer to provide everything.

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1

Edited by *=/STARRIDER\=* (02/04/24 08:48 AM)

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#397866 - 02/03/24 09:49 AM

Ah, thanks. Now he's a MAME handheld artwork maestro.

john iv

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: John IV]
#397870 - 02/03/24 04:37 PM

> Ah, thanks. Now he's a MAME handheld artwork maestro.

I really hope you’re joking and you don’t believe DarthMarino and DarthNuno are the same person.

John IVModerator
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#397885 - 02/04/24 04:02 AM

D'oh, my bad; got my Sith lords mixed up.

john iv

rad_killer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/11/09
Loc: PL
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#397903 - 02/05/24 12:30 PM

> > What is needed: though they have the money for the stuff - plane tickets, gas, car
> > rental, rooms and building of a domesday laserdisc reader
>
> Please also pass along that the player must be calibrated before dumping, that there
> should be no log messages about player skips during dumping, and that they should
> attempt to at least partially decode the dump before leaving. There've been multiple
> instances now of LaserDisc dumps that ended up being bad when I went to decode them,
> because the person dumping them didn't do any verification at the time.

Hello,
don't know the technical stuff etc. but couple of years ago I have donated the domsday project - to read some LD with calibrated player. The effects were incredible (reading and capturing data directly from "laser head"). Probably you know that stuff, but it is an interesting read:
https://www.domesday86.com/

I also do not know, if it is useful info, but whatever...
cheers

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: rad_killer]
#397913 - 02/05/24 07:43 PM

> Hello,
> don't know the technical stuff etc. but couple of years ago I have donated the
> domsday project - to read some LD with calibrated player. The effects were incredible
> (reading and capturing data directly from "laser head"). Probably you know that
> stuff, but it is an interesting read:
> https://www.domesday86.com/
>
> I also do not know, if it is useful info, but whatever...
> cheers

/me facepalms

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: DU Fundraiser: Galaxian 3 & Attack of the Zolgear new [Re: rad_killer]
#397949 - 02/14/24 05:33 AM

> Hello,
> don't know the technical stuff etc. but couple of years ago I have donated the
> domsday project - to read some LD with calibrated player. The effects were incredible
> (reading and capturing data directly from "laser head"). Probably you know that
> stuff, but it is an interesting read:
> https://www.domesday86.com/
>
> I also do not know, if it is useful info, but whatever...
> cheers

It looks like you missed some info. Let me highlight it for you:

Quote:

> Do not send paypal to me, it will need to get sent directly to another DU member
> heading the expedition (Coolmod).
>
> If you want to donate, PayPal to Coolmod directly - [email protected]
>
> What is happening: some DU members are flying across the country at the beginning of
> next month and getting access to these machines to dump the Galaxian 3 disc and
> Attack of the Zolgear chips and disc. There's a long story of getting to this point
> but here we are.
>
> What is needed: though they have the money for the stuff - plane tickets, gas, car
> rental, rooms and building of a domesday laserdisc reader but if you want to help and
> don't think they should have to pay all that out of pocket plus missing work time
> plus dealing with wives that now are sure they married mad men, you can help out with
> PayPal.
>
> Peaceski

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Last chance to donate new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398098 - 03/06/24 12:36 AM

Now is the last chance to donate if you’ve been kicking the can. I just sent some myself. The journey begins.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Thanks for posting this Smitdogg! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398099 - 03/06/24 05:32 AM

It's not much but I just sent $100, hopefully if nothing else you guys come out of it not losing too much of your own $$$!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Thanks for posting this Smitdogg! new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#398100 - 03/06/24 05:35 AM

Thanks dude.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Last chance to donate *edit* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398135 - 03/11/24 09:32 AM

> Now is the last chance to donate if you’ve been kicking the can. I just sent some myself.

I had guessed my donation was already sent in February, but had found out it wasn’t sent until second week of March. My donation should be in by this time.

> The journey begins.

With the fact these days that folks with smartphones can contact by video feature, I hope there will be 50 different sets from across the globe being able to visually inspect the progress from afar and contact immediately if the process is working correctly or not regarding the data being captured in good shape. 50 different devs opinions equals all the better. I hope actual process results get posted within this thread or posted on News forum as a new thread.

Edited by gregf (03/17/24 02:52 AM)

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

Re: Thanks for posting this Smitdogg! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398138 - 03/12/24 03:28 AM

I just sent $250 to him. It's not a lot. But it should help so I do hope he gets the items secured.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398174 - 03/19/24 07:15 AM

A Pioneer HLD-X0 was used to make captures of 2 Project Dragoon discs and 2 Attack of the Zolgears. Project Dragoon has some dropouts but they are thought to be mastering issues. There is some work to be done before they go in mame because apparently the discs have both analog and digital audio.

We got a set of roms dumped for Zolgear and almost got a newer rev set for Project Dragoon but their set was somehow missing a rom so mame will have to use the older set in mame.

Phil will do a full writeup later after more work is done. Thanks to everyone who donated.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Update - a promising initial report there new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398175 - 03/19/24 08:00 AM

> Phil will do a full writeup later after more work is done. Thanks to everyone who donated.

Congrats too. I look forward to the report and any visual wip stuff if anything appears later while some Williams Star Rider fans out there are also crossing their fingers.

Let there be memorable group photos there of the adventure to be posted here even though there won’t be of any like someone on their butt doing a dying cockroach position on a Konami DDR cab dance floor from a 2003 SoCali MAME meet.

o/t Some American Laser games would be awesome future additions, but not holding breath for that since that will be awhile.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Wow, Amazing update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398182 - 03/20/24 01:53 AM

Talk about a successful venture.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Wow, Amazing update new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#398190 - 03/20/24 08:37 PM

> Talk about a successful venture.

Just keep in mind it's ridiculously complex hardware.

There are double digit instances of the (still unemulated) communication chip that is usually used for multiple cabinets to talk to each other (and the secondary screens on games like Drivers Eyes) presumably just so that PCBs used by this game can talk to each other as well as some pretty complex Namco 3D era hardware that has been doubled up.

The code that was demonstrated a few years ago to support Driver's Eyes sub-screen communication was never even submitted (probably because it was a hack that relied on multiple instances of MAME to work, which isn't how we support these 'single cabinet, multiple stack' cases)

I've looked several times at the driver, and refactored it significantly so that it would be easier for people to work with in the future, but failed to get it to display even the basic 2D parts.

If I'm not mistaken they also use a pair of laserdiscs playing together (different discs for each half of the display?) for the footage, and MAME's Laserdisc video support is not very flexible to say the least as it's a specific hardcoded case (hence why it struggles even with the HLSL & BGFX shaders)

All of this is going to be *very* difficult to emulate, and performance is likely to be dire.

It'll be good to see, if it happens, but set your expectations accordingly. Even with this progress I'd be surprised if we see it in MAME in the next decade.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Send PM

Re: Wow, Amazing update new [Re: Haze]
#398192 - 03/21/24 02:59 AM

Yeah, honestly I've never seen the game as I'm sure most haven't and I'm not really expecting to see anything near a working driver.

I was just commenting on how successful the whole thing ended up being, acquiring almost everything that could have been hoped for!

super
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/04
Send PM

Re: Update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398198 - 03/22/24 03:50 AM

Congratulations on preserving two Galaxian 3 games despite having a missing rom from the never rev set for Project Dragoon, I hope that it will someday turn up by someone like asap as I wish so lets hope.

For Project Dragoon in the UK, I first played it in May 2004 at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and in October 2005 it wasn't there anymore but moved to another location of Pleasureland before renamed as Southport Pleasureland I think as it was the last time I played it there too.

And for Attack of the Zolgear in the USA, I first played it in Funworld, Nashua, New Hampshire in May 2007 and went there each year during the summer apart from 2017-2018 & 2020-present. But I also played it at Christmas 2009. The last time I went there was in 2019 and that 2nd Galaxian 3 was still there.

Just trying to be helpful.

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/19
Send PM

Re: Update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#398200 - 03/22/24 07:00 AM

Really great news to hear for sure. I'm glad that more rare LD stuff is being preserved like this and the work that goes into it is much appreciated.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1315