Pages: 1

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Dragon's Lair
#397817 - 01/31/24 10:32 PM

Was finally nice to see this added to MAME and preserved. Have a few questions. First off the only one that has Attract Mode sound is dlaird and also I tried all 4 version of the game and none have the draw bridge version in the beginning of the game. Think it is Enhancement v2.1. And yes this version was in the United States. Played it 100x right here in the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: joey35car]
#397820 - 01/31/24 11:57 PM

Press TAB and go into DIP switch settings and change LD Player to LD-PR7820 and you will have attract mode sound.

Not sure about drawbridge version

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: Jason]
#397822 - 02/01/24 01:08 AM

Thank you so much. Will check it out after work.

Thank you

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#397823 - 02/01/24 02:41 AM

Out of curiosity, why/how does changing the LD player account for attract sound? Better emulation of that model or ?

TIA

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#397825 - 02/01/24 03:11 AM

no idea ... I do know the game has attract mode sound on a real machine. I was just looking at the dip switches in hopes of finding something. Perhaps Moogly will stop with an explanation.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#397827 - 02/01/24 05:13 AM

You guys need to toggle off the dip for demo sound every 8th attract mode. Then you'll have it.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: John IV]
#397828 - 02/01/24 06:27 AM

Thanks John...

I just saw OFF and thought "no attract sound at all"...

Now I rememeber why this game was 1 of those love/hate(mostly) games.

But that still leaves us with the question of why did Jason's solution work too?

Jason
Regular
Send PM

#397830 - 02/01/24 06:57 AM

Thank you very much!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#397831 - 02/01/24 09:38 AM

That's what I also thought would happen. Thanks again John.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#397832 - 02/01/24 09:45 AM

Thanks. Now one more question. I noticed that after completing a screen it kind of scrambles a video real fast of the next scene. Is this a bug and needs some tweaking in the driver? Hopefully it will be resolved down the road. Just finally nice to see some LD games getting preserved the proper way and marked working in MAME.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#397841 - 02/02/24 12:20 AM

> I noticed that after completing a screen it kind of
> scrambles a video real fast of the next scene. Is this a bug and needs some tweaking
> in the driver?

Real hardware footage shows the screen going black while seeking, so yes (though it's kind of cool).

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#397842 - 02/02/24 02:41 AM

> and also I tried all 4 version of the game and none have the draw bridge version in the beginning of the game.
> Think it is Enhancement v2.1. And yes this version was in the United States. Played it 100x right here in the
> suburbs of Chicago.

The laser disc entry section on Non-MAMEd site has these and probably having to do with disc upgrades in case Cinematronics did that back then.

* Dragon's Lair [Enhanced 1.1]
* Dragon's Lair [Enhanced 2.0]
* Dragon's Lair [Enhanced 2.1]

If unable to find any online scans of Cinematronics customer notices to customers of Cinematronics when those were sent by mail, then see if there are pdf scan files of 1983 issues of coinop industry trade magazine PlayMeter magazine. There should be Cinematronics advertisements regarding Dragons Lair upgrade announcements to the readers. 1983 and next two years of PlayMeter should have something printed within those years.

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: gregf]
#397845 - 02/02/24 11:12 AM

The Enhanced games mentioned here are nothing to do with Cinematronics, they're all aftermarket updates done by the enthusiasts at the Dragon's Lair Project, and are ROM updates only. There are equivalents for Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2, but I presume their nature makes them HBMAME candidates, as they weren't formally sold commercially, and like a lot of this material, seem to be embroiled in back and forth with Digital Leisure.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: JWallace]
#397847 - 02/02/24 11:56 AM

> The Enhanced games mentioned here are nothing to do with Cinematronics, they're all aftermarket updates done by the enthusiasts at the Dragon's Lair Project, and are ROM updates only. There are equivalents for Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2, but I presume their nature makes them HBMAME candidates, as they weren't formally sold commercially,

Okay. Thanks regarding this. A friend who was a fan of the game way back then kept telling me that he was certain that there were different versions of the disc used with the coinop game. This would have been way back in the 1980s and I disagreed with him at the time because there were hardware ports of the game franchise and maybe the friend was confusing one hardware version versus the coinop version.

I suggested going back to searching through 1983 and following years of PlayMeter magazines in hopes some Cinematronics advertisement appears mentioning an updated disc release. Had I known about the name PlayMeter magazine back in 1980s, I would have recommended same thing to my friend way back then.

Good future luck if doing more fruit machines work in the future.

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: gregf]
#397849 - 02/02/24 12:16 PM

I'm pretty much in semi retirement now, I do bits and pieces but nothing major, hence me not really posting here for years.

You're not thinking of Dragon's Lair 2, are you? That did get a ROM and disc swap as the original version had some issues with playback speed and layout (I forget what exactly) Means that there'll be two images to work with when we get there, not including the Spanish dub.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#397850 - 02/02/24 12:48 PM

> You're not thinking of Dragon's Lair 2, are you? That did get a ROM and disc swap

That could be the case, but this game wasn’t my game because mine at the time were either Xevious or Marble Madness. As the first post indicates a certainty that there might have been a different disc for the first version of Dragons Lair, maybe some checking will be necessary just to see if Cinematronics had something out there at the time, but the Daphne crew would have already known by now.

> as the original version had some issues with playback speed and layout (I forget what exactly) Means that
> there'll be two images to work with when we get there, not including the Spanish dub.

Yep. The PAL format discs, disc players, etc. Lottsa fun down the road.

As for disc games, mine would be ALG brand laser disc games, but that is way, way down the road.

>. I'm pretty much in semi retirement now, I do bits and pieces but nothing major, hence me not really posting here for years.

Oh. Well….good to know Aaron Giles made certain all your work and support of fruit machines being supported a long time ago. Understandable of why original decision was still in play until Aaron changed things when he took over.

I can see future questions about some of the fruit machine games still being asked about in the future in case some of them aren’t fully emulated.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#397854 - 02/02/24 02:41 PM

> Thanks John...
>
> I just saw OFF and thought "no attract sound at all"...
>
> Now I rememeber why this game was 1 of those love/hate(mostly) games.
>
> But that still leaves us with the question of why did Jason's solution work too?

Because the game would have been sending LD-PR7820 commands to an HLE-emulated LD-V1000. Among other things, the mute commands would then be ignored, leading to audio not being muted during attract mode. It would also lead to the game being unplayable if actually coined up, due to seeks never completing.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#397855 - 02/02/24 05:41 PM

Well when I played Dragon's Lair at Chicago Ridge Mall in Illinois (USA) at Aladdin's Castle the Dragon's Lair had the drawbridge scene in the very beginning of the game. That is a fact.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#397858 - 02/02/24 07:24 PM

Only US Revision E and later use the drawbridge scene. US Revision F uses fixed scene order (rather than random order) to reduce wear and tear on the LaserDisc player.

European versions of the game use all the scenes on the disc (and hence have about 25% more content than the US versions). They also display the score and lives on-screen between scenes rather than using multi-segment LED displays.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#397859 - 02/02/24 07:30 PM

Thank you for the information.

OK so I tried every version available in MAME and still unable to play the drawbridge scene.

Thanks

Edited by joey35car (02/02/24 08:32 PM)

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#397860 - 02/02/24 08:43 PM

> Only US Revision E and later use the drawbridge scene. US Revision F uses fixed scene
> order (rather than random order) to reduce wear and tear on the LaserDisc player.

I trust the DLP guys, and they state that the drawbridge scene was not in any US revision until the "Enhanced 1.1" version.

https://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/enhancements/dle1.asp

The European version information is as stated though.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair - thanks there new [Re: hunkpap]
#397861 - 02/02/24 10:03 PM

> I trust the DLP guys, and they state that the drawbridge scene was not in any US revision until the "Enhanced 1.1" version.

https://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/enhancements/dle1.asp

That answers Joey’s take. My friend didn’t recall exact details of the differences, but he swore that he saw them.

Unsure other than early 1980s seeing him play the game when he and I went to arcade in early 1980s. I didn’t question him when he may have noticed the differences. He might have played the coinop cab somewhere in late 1980s when such cab may have been upgraded by then.

It would be ideal if some Cinematronics customer bulletin upgrade notice that was mailed to Dragons Lair customers back in 1980s could be found and posted online somewhere for reading. The next best option is finding a mid 1980s issue of N. American region PlayMeter and seeing if there was an advertisement in the trade magazine announcing a product upgrade for Dragons Lair.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#397862 - 02/03/24 02:08 AM

Understood.

And that answers that...

Thank you sir!

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#397916 - 02/06/24 12:14 AM

I assume that Dragon's Lair requires a CHD? i just can't seem to find it anywhere. I know I can't ask for a link, but I've had no luck even googling it

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

superdave
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/17/16
Send PM

#397986 - 02/17/24 02:52 PM

Hello Guys! The only sound I am getting is the Speech in the attract mode. no controller beeps coin up beeps, no background track. Otherwise game plays beautifully! Any tips to remedy this? Running through Arcade64 .262. Says fully working unlike Thayers (Sound Issues). Been through the Dips and Vol. controls.

Edited by superdave (02/17/24 03:07 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 661