MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Anyone else order the new SEGA Saturn controller?
#397456 - 11/29/23 06:22 AM

https://castlemaniaentertainment.com/products/sega-saturn%C2%AE-2-4ghz-wireless-pro-controller

I should receive mine sometime tomorrow. Overall it seems like it will be awesome! It doesn't have analog triggers. I'm also curious as to how the D-Pad feels and moves. The original SEGA pads somewhere with their Genesis and Saturn controller d-pads had a pivot point in the center. If your d-pad doesn't have this you'll very likely be able to press all 4 directions at once because it collapses in the center.

This pivot point made it the ultimate (outside of authentic arcade parts) controller for fighting games.

Anyway. Just wanted to mention this in case anyone else would be interested. I plan to reply to this topic tomorrow to give more details... Barring any unforeseen circumstances like a delay in delivery or it being delivered to the wrong address.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Anyone else order the new SEGA Saturn controller? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#397463 - 11/30/23 04:11 AM

Okay. The D-Pad... I think it has the pivot. There's a bit of "mush" there but looking on the windows devices game controller properties the directions are distinct and not doubled.

In game, Street Fighter Alpha 2: I did have trouble doing dragon punches facing left. But that could be due to me being rusty. But overall the controls are as tight as ever and as I'd expect on such a controller.

You need to sync the controller with the receiver. Then you may have to hold Start + B to get the button arrangement right for whatever you might be playing. You can even use it on a Switch!

The only slight gripe I'd have are the new buttons formerly known as triggers. They're like they are on the Switch. The thing is I've found I seem to accidentally touch them with the lower segment of my fingers on the very outside corners.

I haven't had to use the analog sticks too much yet... Well, no more than I already do.

Oh, and the button angles... I've been playing a lot on a controller with a (more) PS layout where A is at the bottom, X is 45 degrees up/left. So with the Saturn... pattern... it takes a little getting used to. I'm reaching upward/above with my thumb rather than moving 45 degrees.

So far that's just from playing 2D games. I may give this a go in, say, HITMAN. I don't really need analog triggers to play it, so I should do fine, but the Z and C buttons... I'm not sure how they'll register.

Edit: After playing Hitman... I could do everything I could with my Logitech F310, but the smaller distance of the analog sticks makes the camera and movement more jumpy. So, I wouldn't recommend it. It even made my hand cramp. But I'm older so that seems to happen more often.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (11/30/23 11:46 PM)

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 167