MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Grasshopper
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/23
Send PM

Version of Rastan arcade game that uses a different palette.
#397366 - 11/08/23 04:52 PM

Back in the 80s, I was a big fan of the Rastan arcade game.

I've played it on many different arcade cabinets over the years. But there was one particular cabinet I came across that ran a version of the game that had a different palette to the standard version. The colours were significantly darker, and there was more contrast between the foreground and background layers of the screen.

I've always preferred the alternative palette to the standard one. Unfortunately however, I've never come across an emulator that runs that version of the game.

I've brought this issue up on emulator sites several times over the years. It's been suggested to me that perhaps the alternate palette was simply caused by a hardware fault, or the monitor being badly calibrated. I obviously can't rule that out. However, that explanation has never really rung true to me, because the alternate colours felt like they were coherent and properly designed by an artist, whereas a hardware fault would probably have produced a garish mess.

As the years passed, I began to wonder whether my memories had been playing tricks with me, and that perhaps the alternate palette version of Rastan had never existed. However, I recently came across a YouTube video that appears to show a cabinet running that version of Rastan.

The link to the video is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GInAHEUfzWw

By way of contrast, here's a video showing the standard version of Rastan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Binxdx_Qzb4

The difference between the two versions is most apparent on the second screen which takes place inside a castle. On the alternate palette version, the background bricks of the castle are a purple colour. But on the standard version the bricks are more of a grey colour.

I'm wondering whether any of the MAME developers are aware that this alternative palette version of Rastan exists? I've tried every version of the Rastan ROMs that I've been able to get hold of, and they all seem to use the standard palette. It would be a shame if the alternate palette version was lost forever because no one had dumped the ROMs.

Grasshopper
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/23
Send PM

Re: Version of Rastan arcade game that uses a different palette. new [Re: Grasshopper]
#397367 - 11/08/23 06:24 PM

Well I might have spoken too soon.

I've just been browsing YouTube for Rastan videos, and I came across a recent video of the game that appears to be using a significantly darker palette (although still lighter than the palette shown in the first video I linked to.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC457qEP5eg

This is apparently running on MAME. So did MAME start using the darker palette at some point, and does it apply to all Rastan versions?

I guess I'll need to download the latest version of MAME, and experiment a little.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Version of Rastan arcade game that uses a different palette. new [Re: Grasshopper]
#397368 - 11/08/23 07:37 PM

> Well I might have spoken too soon.
>
> I've just been browsing YouTube for Rastan videos, and I came across a recent video
> of the game that appears to be using a significantly darker palette (although still
> lighter than the palette shown in the first video I linked to.)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC457qEP5eg
>
> This is apparently running on MAME. So did MAME start using the darker palette at
> some point, and does it apply to all Rastan versions?
>
> I guess I'll need to download the latest version of MAME, and experiment a little.

It's actually the opposite... that is probably an older version of MAME... current MAME looks like MAME video linked in your first post.

I spent the last few minutes looking through various YouTube videos.. the biggest thing that sticks out for me is how the "caverns" look kind of gray in current MAME, where in all of the actual arcade cabinet/pcb videos, those same caverns have a more purple/blue hue (depending on the quality of the video).

Then... if you lookup a video of Rastan on Taito Legends for PS2, it also matches closer to the actual PCB videos vs current MAME. And if I remember right, Nicola had a hand in this particular compilation, and might be some MAME-based code in there, which would be around 2005.

So maybe this is something to be looked at?

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Rastan new [Re: Mr. Do]
#397369 - 11/08/23 09:09 PM

I never played the coinop game myself, but the game source file has had some updates.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/taito/rastan.cpp

pasted from MASH’s MAMEInfo and MAME Italia.

WIP
* 0.240: Fabrice Arzeno added clone Rastan Saga (bootleg, Japan Rev 1, earlier code base). Note: 2-PCB set, data is identical to rastsagaa but the GFX ROMs are smaller. Changed description of clones (US, Earlier code base) to 'Rastan (US, earlier code base)', (World, Earlier code base) to 'Rastan (World, earlier code base)', (Japan, Earlier code base) to 'Rastan Saga (Japan, earlier code base)' and (Japan Rev 1, Earlier code base) to 'Rastan Saga (Japan Rev 1, earlier code base)'.
* 22nd November 2020: Mr. Do - ArsInvictus added marquee for Rastan, courtesy of BYOAC/CAG.
* 0.211: Simplified gfxdecodes. Reduced trampolines and duplicates. Fixed namings. Update video\pc090oj.cpp: Internalized gfxdecode. Use callback for color bank/priority behavior. Reduced defines and unnecessary lines. Simplified handlers. Use shorter/correct type values [cam900].
* 0.210: Simplified handlers and gfxdecodes. Fixed namings. Reduced unnecessary lines. Use shorter type values [cam900].
* 0.206: Removed MACHINE_CONFIG macros [Ryan Holtz].
* 0.204: Removed YM2151, PC060HA, PC080SN and PC090OJ MCFG macros [Osso].
* 0.202: Removed WATCHDOG MCFG macros [Osso].
* 0.201: Removed 74157 MCFG macros [Ryan Holtz].
* 5th July 2018: Smitdogg - Joe Magiera dumped a prototype of Rastan.
* 0.191: Draw a nominal distinction between PC060HA and TC0140SYT [AJR].
* 0.186: Michel Blanco added clone Rastan Saga (Japan Rev 1). Changed description of clones (Japan) to 'Rastan Saga (Japan, Earlier code base)' and (Japan Rev 1) to 'Rastan Saga (Japan Rev 1, Earlier code base)'. Renamed (rastsagaa) to (rastsagab) and (rastsaga) to (rastsagaa).
* 0.185: System11 and The Dumping Union added clone Rastan (World, Earlier code base).
* 0.181: Created new 74LS157 device and hook it up to MSM5205 on Rastan [AJR].
* 0.156: Taito device tilemap assert fixes in Rastan, and clean up of obsolete stuff [Alex Jackson].
* 0.155: Minor rom loading/banking cleanups [Alex Jackson].
* 0.145u6: Stefan Lindberg added clone Rastan (US). Brian Troha cleaned up parent/child order. Added DIP locations. Correct ROM names and added additional information / notes. Changed clone (World, set 2) to parent 'Rastan (World Rev 1)', (World, set 1) to clone 'Rastan (World)', (US, set 1) to 'Rastan (US Rev 1)' and (US, set 2) to 'Rastan (US, Earlier code base)'. Renamed (rastan) to (rastana), (rastan2) to (rastan), (rastanu2) to (rastanub), (rastsaga) to (rastsagaa) and (rastsaga1) to (rastsaga).
* 0.145u5: ANY and The Dumping Union added clone Rastan (World, set 2). Changed parent description to 'Rastan (World, set 1)'.
* 0.136u1: Fabio Priuli added driver data struct and save states to Rastan.
* 0.133u1: Renamed (rastsag1) to (rastsaga1).
* 0.125u7: Stephane Humbert fixed Service Mode DIP assigned. Added 'Unused' dipswitch.
* 0.123u4: Corrado Tomaselli changed/verified clocks in Rastan.
* 0.119u4: Fixed rom names in clone Rastan Saga (Japan).
* 0.118u3: Stephane Humbert cleaned up several Taito drivers to use common input port macros. Fixed the dipwitches for all games (a few still remain unknown though) and added many notes. Added dipswitches 'Service Mode' and 'Unused'.
* 0.112u1: Gerald (Coy) added clone Rastan Saga (Japan Rev 1).
* 8th October 2006: Mr. Do - Aaron Giles has been purchasing and scanning stuff, that Ad_Enuff cleans up and converts for MAME. This week, we have Rastan bezel.
* 0.95u3: Bryan McPhail fixed rom names in Rastan.
* 0.90u3: Nicola Salmoria cleanup the Rastan driver, derived from schematics. ADPCM is now played through a MSM5205. Replaced ADPCM sound with MSM5205 (384000 Hz).
* 30th March 2001: David Graves and Jarek Burczynski fixed a few bugs and added state saving support to Rainbow Islands, Rastan and Operation Wolf.
* 0.37b11: Changed palettesize from 2048 to 8192 colors.
* 0.35RC2: Changed description to 'Rastan (World)'.
* 0.35b12: Changed description to 'Rastan (World?)'.
* 0.35b11: Nicola Salmoria added clones Rastan (US set 1) and (US set 2). Changed parent description to 'Rastan (Japan)' and clone 'Rastan Saga' to 'Rastan Saga (Japan)'.
* 1st April 2000: Jarek Burczynski added cocktail mode to Rastan.
* 0.34b8: Replaced 64k gfx roms with 128k in Rastan and clone Rastan Saga.
* 0.34b4: Brad Oliver fixed bug in the 68000 interrupt handling which causes Rastan Saga to not boot correctly. Juan Carlos Lorente added high score saving to Rastan.
* 0.33b7: Rastan use the dynamic palette [Nicola Salmoria].
* 0.31: New YM2151 emulator, used by Rastan and others and fixed ADPCM sample support in Rastan [Jarek Burczynski]. Barry Rodewald fixed crashes in Rastan. Aaron Giles added 16 bit color support for games which need it (e.g. Rastan, Gauntlet, Black Tiger, and many others). Known issues: Crashes often. Changed description of 'RASTAN' to 'Rastan'.
* 0.30: Tatsuyuki Satoh added sound in Rastan.
* 0.29: Brad Oliver added clone 'Rastan Saga'. Rastan Saga doesn't always boot, use F3 to make it start. Note that Rastan requires some new ROMs as well, which were missing from the previous release.
* 0.28: Jarek Burczynski added 'RASTAN' (Taito 1987). Jarek Burczynski adapted the M68000 emulator from the System 16 Arcade Emulator by Thierry Lescot. The only known problem of this emulator is that it doesn't count CPU cycles, only instructions. The first driver to use the 68000 is Rastan, also provided by Jarek.
* 2nd October 1997: Chris Hardy dumped Rastan Saga (Japan, Earlier code base).
* 9th April 1997: Dumped Rastan (World).

My first guess maybe a bootleg pcb version yet to be found, but probably not.

Reading this Rastan topic reminds me of past particular issues that were eventually corrected.

MAME] 1942 (c)Capcom - Video emulation fixes https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKloM2DgHQE

MAME - Bank Panic - Day / Night Palette Change Fix https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJl3tPWeI2U

On occasion, a poster might bring up Gorf color issue. When the French language rom set version of Gorf was recently supported, it reminded me of a long ago discussion about coinop games with a couple former coworkers way back around late 1980s and one coworker claimed of seeing a French language version of Gorf while he and his spouse were vacationing in France in mid 1980s. I was skeptical of that and guessed he was remembering wrong. Glad I am not a regular customer placing sports bets on games because I would go broke.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: ALT. Version of Rastan arcade game new [Re: Mr. Do]
#397381 - 11/12/23 11:18 AM

On a different note, back in the day there was a Rastan cabinet at this small Greek restaurant in my home town.
When I say small I'm talking like 4 two person tables and the counter where you ordered, it was mainly a Gyro take out place.
Anyway the Rastan cab. was right next to the counter and it always blew my mind how the people worked there because the attract audio was going constantly and just repetitively every time we went there.
Anyway I have a cab and I tried every Rastan version and none seem to have the attract audio.
This has had me confused for awhile now as I remember it playing every time we went to that place!

There is no law in the arena

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 305