MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

"tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES
#396690 - 07/16/23 04:05 AM

...and they have succeeded.

give it a whirl.
=)

i learned everything i know from KC

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: "tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES new [Re: jopezu]
#396696 - 07/17/23 09:18 PM

I never finished Tunic.

I was onboard, learning a new language...figuring out the manual.

Finally the game became too impossible to finish for me, and dying and losing much of my "extras" to build back up to fight a boss and lose, (yet again) made me give up the game.

The game Death's Door did it better IMO

Edited by Hizzout (07/17/23 10:01 PM)

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: "tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES new [Re: Hizzout]
#396697 - 07/17/23 10:03 PM

don't rely on consumables to defeat bosses. your sword and default movement abilities work just fine.

sounds like you went hollow.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: "tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES new [Re: jopezu]
#396838 - 08/13/23 12:46 PM

Is 80% of this game just hidden passages / non-obvious routes you need to somehow find, but are obscured by the isometric perspective, and colour choices which (at least with the muddy graphics of the Switch version) make it near impossible to see essential routes needed for progress?

I'm trying to enjoy it, but so far it feels like it's absolutely full of the worst parts of isometric game design (then at times it randomly gives you a different camera angle for secrets, other times it makes you find chests blind... it's not even consistent)

Enemy AI also seems to be "as soon as player is detected, charge straight for them, unless there's a ladder, because we're reincarnated Daleks and we don't do ladders)"

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: "tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES new [Re: Haze]
#396852 - 08/15/23 09:42 PM

>>Is 80% of this game just hidden passages / non-obvious routes you need to somehow find, but are obscured by the isometric perspective

that's part of it sure, but is that not a valid gameplay mechanism? we could be equally reductive about any other game title. i found that it constantly made me laugh, and set my mind to reworking routing for subsequent playthroughs.

>> colour choices which (at least with the muddy graphics of the Switch version) make it near impossible to see essential routes needed for progress?

looked fine to me. played it on the switch & pc (granted the switch is the oled version, so that may have made it different)

>>Enemy AI also seems to be "as soon as player is detected, charge straight for them, unless there's a ladder, because we're reincarnated Daleks and we don't do ladders)"

valid, but not everything needs to be half-life grunts. the bosses do well enough enforcing pattern recognition and response.

i'm honestly not enjoying the end bit where you have to collect your pieces back as a ghost. if you didn't like the world-building initially, this end part jumbles it up even further.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#396857 - 08/16/23 02:44 PM

> >>Is 80% of this game just hidden passages / non-obvious routes you need to somehow
> find, but are obscured by the isometric perspective
>
> that's part of it sure, but is that not a valid gameplay mechanism? we could be
> equally reductive about any other game title. i found that it constantly made me
> laugh, and set my mind to reworking routing for subsequent playthroughs.
>

it was interesting when I popped back out a path I didn't know existed when looping round after competing a section, but equally it felt like there were too many times I was controlling a character in complete darkness on a secret path, only really knowing where they were by camera position, pushing against complete darkness just to see if a 'press A' prompt would appear anywhere for a chest of a ladder.

I liked the approach Octopath took better, where in such situations it would usually show a window to where your character was, rather than expecting you to poke around in the darkness.

>
> >> colour choices which (at least with the muddy graphics of the Switch version) make
> it near impossible to see essential routes needed for progress?
>
> looked fine to me. played it on the switch & pc (granted the switch is the oled
> version, so that may have made it different)
>

In handheld it's not so bad, on a big screen TV it looks bad, like the game area is maybe 360-480p at most and upscaled to fit the screen (the HUD is fine) I've seen it on other platforms and it's much better, but it definitely suffers from 'Made in Unity' which is rough even on a PS5, and the death knell for many Switch releases (so relatively, they've done quite well as mitigating the problem, even if it's still very noticeable)

>
> >>Enemy AI also seems to be "as soon as player is detected, charge straight for them,
> unless there's a ladder, because we're reincarnated Daleks and we don't do ladders)"
>
> valid, but not everything needs to be half-life grunts. the bosses do well enough
> enforcing pattern recognition and response.
>
>

It just feels like a very binary thing, if you trigger them, even if they're somewhere else on the screen they can't get to you the 'hunt' logic turns on. It felt a bit under developed, not too bad, but I think it's something I'm becoming sensitive to these days as I'm seeing a lot of these games where the enemy AI is basically just that. 'Home in on player' but with a bit of pathfinding.

> i'm honestly not enjoying the end bit where you have to collect your pieces back as a
> ghost. if you didn't like the world-building initially, this end part jumbles it up
> even further.

I've not got that far in it yet, although I will say there have been some moments I've really enjoyed, some of the new area reveals have a sense of wonder about them, and there is a lot of heart in the game that does shine beyond the flaws.

To its credit, for a game that is the passion project of a single person, with others assisting him, it has turned out rather well, much better than say The Outbound Ghost which was a disaster in every way, or even Clive and Wrench, which I wanted to like but fell short where it mattered. (It's possible those 2 have improved since the carts arrived on my desk, but first impressions count, and by the time a game gets a physical release it SHOULD be finished)

I just think maybe Tunic has been overhyped a bit.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: "tunic" was designed to make you feel like an 8-year old that has rented zelda on NES new [Re: Hizzout]
#396919 - 08/25/23 09:56 AM

Just got back from a deployment today. Last couple of weeks, I've actually been playing it for the first time. I got to one of the endings, no problem. Needed a bit of google help to see the real ending. A few of the puzzles are pretty damn hard to piece together... but clever when you first learn them and then learn how it was found out.

This game is rewarding even if you cheat. So much so, that the mother of all cheats is built right in. If you go to your options and turn on no fail mode, you cannot die (so a boss kicking your butt is not really an excuse). It took me damn near 3/4 of the game to figure out how to upgrade my stats, so I used no fail mode the first time around. It's still fun to find everything and solve all of the puzzles.

I'm just disappointed in the 2nd playthrough. As far as I can tell, there are only a handful of new (and tough as hell) enemies, and nothing much else changes.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#396920 - 08/25/23 10:16 AM

That's not even the end bit, if you want the real ending. You need all of the manual pages for that, and you need to find all of the fairies (souls) for one of those. You also need to have the warp-flash thing during the daytime to get some things. As well as recognizing a hint in one of said pages that tells you an item combo you can use to turn an enemy into something you can grapple yourself to with the orb, instead of simply pulling the enemy to you...

The puzzles in this game are DEEP...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 424