MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

McHale
Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: BFE Illinois
Send PM

New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped)
#396256 - 05/16/23 03:33 AM Attachment: 20230515_144105.jpg 463 KB (0 downloads)

Discussion, screenshot, and link to ROMS: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/galaxian-part-ii-bootleg-not-in-mame.522483/

From the original post:

"I received the PCB and have started testing. It uses a Namco Galaxian pinout.

I dumped the ROMs (five on a Galaxian-style daughterboard). Romident identifies ROMS 1-3 and 5 as galap4 (Galaxian Part 4). ROM 4 is unidentified.

Part 2 looks closer to the original Galaxian than Part 4. Here's the title screen from Part 2 (PCB playing via a JAMMA adapter). Notice that it says "GX Part II":"

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

McHale
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boot (GX Part II) found (and dumped) new [Re: McHale]
#396260 - 05/17/23 05:38 PM

Interestingly enough, part 3 has also been found, and is also not emulated in MAME (yet).

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/new-undocumented-galaxian-roms-midway-prototype.486731/

Link contains technical info as well as the roms.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: McHale]
#396269 - 05/21/23 10:38 PM

Over 200 views & only 1 reply by the author !

Anyways it's nice there's still people interested in the bootlegs & obscure games nice find. Let's hope we find more before they're lost for good in the Rom's Heaven. Thanks

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: agard]
#396272 - 05/21/23 11:49 PM Attachment: new sets.png 23 KB (1 downloads)

Both of the new sets are added and running fine in my build. I imagine it's just a matter of time before they're added to main. If not, I'm sure Robert will have them in the next HBMAME for the time being.
They do play a lot harder & faster it seems to me. Takes the fun out of playing them too far or long for me.
Lots of good new(to me) info on some of these bootlegs.

Thanks to all the people who did the heavy lifting on this new stuff!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

McHale
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#396273 - 05/22/23 01:29 AM

>If not, I'm sure Robert will have them in the next HBMAME for the time being.

Robert already has them added for the next build (0245.12). He's Jonny on the spot with this stuff. I also sent both complete sets to the dumping union with links to board information and screenshots but haven't heard anything since. Since these are "official" boots and not some personal hacks I'm hoping/assuming they will get added to MAME at some point but at least they are in HBMAME for now.

-Mc

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: New emulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) *edit* new [Re: McHale]
#396277 - 05/22/23 07:18 AM

> Since these are "official" bootlegs

Added to the lineup.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/galaxian/galaxian.cpp

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: McHale]
#396278 - 05/22/23 09:01 AM

They'll be in MAME, too.

McHale
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: Osso1]
#396280 - 05/22/23 09:53 AM

> They'll be in MAME, too.

I can confirm that the ROMS are officially in the hands of the Dumping Union.

Mega props to Conrad and Steph at KLOV who dumped and provided these for us as well as the MAME team(s) for all of the work you do.

For grins, if you'd like to learn about Midway suing a bunch of bootleggers, the restraining orders (which these sets were part of) and a whole lot of bootleg games you'd never heard of, I highly recommend reading the article "Midway Gets TRO; 130 Bogus Games Seized in Hawaii" starting on page 82.

https://ia803208.us.archive.org/15/items/cashbox43unse_30/cashbox43unse_30.pdf

The entire magazine is a great read if you're into vintage video game nostalgia. The magazine is from 1981.

-Mc

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

#396281 - 05/22/23 03:36 PM

> For grins, if you'd like to learn about Midway suing a bunch of bootleggers, the
> restraining orders (which these sets were part of) and a whole lot of bootleg games
> you'd never heard of, I highly recommend reading the article "Midway Gets TRO; 130
> Bogus Games Seized in Hawaii" starting on page 82.

Here's a blog post about another prolific US bootleg manufacturer of the period, Potomac Mortgage Company (alias Potomac Games), who got sued by Irem at one point:

https://historian159.rssing.com/chan-12531872/article27-live.html

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

all them Galaxian bootlegs found and dumped and supported new [Re: AJR Hacker]
#396282 - 05/22/23 05:08 PM

> Potomac Mortgage Company (alias Potomac Games),

I am amazed and thankful many have been able to be supported over the many years since various preservation projects had been ongoing since mid 1990s. Someone or some group was doing early documentation of Pac-Man style games including bootlegs just around time emulation was getting started iirc

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

All Your Galaxips Are Belong To Us! new [Re: gregf]
#396298 - 05/25/23 03:39 AM Attachment: sprites.png 14 KB (4 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: All Your Galaxips Are Belong To Us! new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#396318 - 05/29/23 09:54 PM

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/galaxian/galaxian.cpp

Ain’t complete without a BMX bike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqunWXrV-w

ozzyguy100 comment from YouTube video clip.

Track & Field/Hyper Olympic, but with BMX's. I've played this, it's hard. Jetsoft did also made Cavelon 2/Excaliba, Zargon, & Fruity Fruity, none of those games where dumped as of writing this. Jetsoft might've been formed in '82/'83, sense Cavelon was their first game (according to John Hutchinson, the designer & composer of Bongo). & probably closed in '85/'86, sense
BMX Trials (both arcade & C64 versions) was their last game.

A few more Jetsoft games yet to be found.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#396342 - 06/02/23 05:22 AM

Check GX part 2, and yes, is a "base" of Super galaxian and galaxian turbo

-enemies are erratic moves, a bit slow, but move same of both bootlegs
-phase 3 has 8 flag ships like galax turbo

Galaxian III too is part of many bootlegs (space ship is fast), like Galaxian part IV from 4 in 1 bootleg/Ghostmuncher-Galaxian

AJR Hacker
MAME Developer
Reged: 02/01/16
Send PM

Re: New unemulated Galaxian boots (GX Part II and III) found (and dumped) new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#396361 - 06/06/23 03:21 AM

> Galaxian III too is part of many bootlegs (space ship is fast), like Galaxian part IV
> from 4 in 1 bootleg/Ghostmuncher-Galaxian

I do wonder to what extent the "Ghostmuncher" half of Ghostmuncher Galaxian is based on or resembles Cruncher, another, still undumped Pac-Man bootleg on Galaxian hardware.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 683