Pages: 1

tommygamer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/06/23
Send PM

MAME maintainers chronological overview
#396171 - 05/06/23 07:10 PM

Hi

I'm making a document about MAME's history with the most important breakthroughs.

I'm also looking for a chronological overview of MAME's maintainers. Can somebody help me with this please?

I only know the last 3: David Haywood, Aaron Giles and Vas Crabb. But I don't know from which year to which year they were doing it and also I don't know which persons came before them. I would like to know the whole history of the maintainers since the start (person's name => time period)!

Edited by tommygamer (05/06/23 07:11 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: tommygamer]
#396172 - 05/06/23 08:16 PM

You forgot Miodrag Miloanovic and Angelo Salese. You also have to be aware that everyone has their own “management style”. Miodrag Milanovic was more of a coordinator, Aaron was more of an architect.

Some former coordinators’ start dates are listed on this page: https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/MAME_Milestones

• Miodrag Milanovic from 26 April 2012
  • Angelo Salese from 5 April 2011
  • Aaron Giles from 18 April 2005
  • David Haywood from 14 May 2003
  • Nicola Salmoria from 10 August 1997
  • Mirko Buffoni from 26 April 1997
  • Nicola Salmoria from 6 February 1997

tommygamer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#396173 - 05/06/23 08:44 PM

Thanks a lot!

Here my reconstruction based on the page.
Can you fill in your start date (and hopefully NOT end date? ). It's not written there (not updated).

Vas Crabb: [???]

Miodrag Milanovic (Micko): 26 Apr 12 (-) - [???]
Miodrag Milanovic (Micko) takes over from Angelo Salese (Kale).

Angelo Salese (Kale): 05 Apr 11 (-) - 26 Apr 12 (-)
Angelo Salese (Kale) takes over from Aaron Giles (longest standing yet - with Nicola Salmoria close behind) as MAME coordinator.

Aaron Giles: 18 Apr 05 (-) - 05 Apr 11 (-)
Aaron Giles takes over from David Haywood as MAME coordinator.

David Haywood (MAMEHaze): 15 May 03 (MAME 0.68) - 18 Apr 05 (-)
David Haywood takes over from Nicola Salmoria as MAME coordinator.

Nicola Salmoria: 10 Aug 97 (MAME 0.27) - 15 May 03 (MAME 0.68)
Nicola returns as MAME coordinator.

Mirko Buffoni: 26 Apr 97 (MAME 0.19) - 10 Aug 97 (MAME 0.27)
Mirko Buffoni takes over from Nicola Salmoria as MAME coordinator.

Nicola Salmoria: 05 Feb 97 (MAME 0.1) - 26 Apr 97 (MAME 0.19)
The MAME project has begun! INSERT COINS!!!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#396180 - 05/07/23 04:09 PM

> Thanks a lot!
>
> Here my reconstruction based on the page.
> Can you fill in your start date (and hopefully NOT end date? ). It's not written
> there (not updated).

I started doing the releases in August 2016.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#396187 - 05/07/23 11:45 PM

> everyone has their own “management style”

Indeed, I would say I mostly tried to be democratic, letting others make most of the decisions, but also ensuring we had timely releases with everything that was submitted included.

At the time the project was lagging badly behind in terms of what was submitted compared to what made each release, and developers were becoming disgruntled with the lack of transparency and feedback in the process.

I did have a few things I wanted to make sure of, the first being that the project moved towards something more open, where external contributors could be more involved, as opposed to it being a very secretive 'behind the curtain' project. This mostly stemmed from the struggle I'd had in becoming involved in the first place, and realising a lot of potential contributions might have been put off by the brick wall.

It wasn't a role that especially suited me in the longer term though, as I wanted to be making progress of my own, but I did fear for the future of the project enough at the time to push through and keep things afloat until there was somebody more suitable to take over. Also being not much more than a teenager at the time, with undiagnosed autism, I did struggle with the attention and demands.

I still feel had the period of transition I was involved in not happened, we could easily be talking about another project such as RAINE today instead of MAME because we were already seeing a significant leakage of development talent to other projects prior to that.

I'm sure all the others feel they had their own roles to play too.

My only real regret is not pulling MESS in at the time, we left that too late, but I didn't feel I had the influence or authority at the time to make such a decision, despite working on things where it would have been of huge benefit. Again though, this was because I was trying to be democratic.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#396191 - 05/08/23 05:33 AM

> I'm making a document about MAME's history with the most important breakthroughs.

As someone who has written at least a handful of MAME's release announcements, as well as written (and voiced) two actual MAME-related documentaries, I would encourage you to reach out to either Vas or myself - preferably myself, as Vas's bandwidth is limited - for both proofreading and verification of accuracy prior to this document going live.

The stated desire to characterize one set of breakthroughs as "most important" over others already makes me a little skeptical, as that is an extremely difficult thing to do, and needs to be done with an abundance of caution.

tommygamer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#396195 - 05/08/23 06:45 PM

> > I'm making a document about MAME's history with the most important breakthroughs.
>
> As someone who has written at least a handful of MAME's release announcements, as
> well as written (and voiced) two actual MAME-related documentaries, I would encourage
> you to reach out to either Vas or myself - preferably myself, as Vas's bandwidth is
> limited - for both proofreading and verification of accuracy prior to this document
> going live.

The document is ONLY for personal use and will never be published online. I want to have an overview of several things.

For the MAME maintainers, I'm missing some birth dates (if allowed to know) of Vas Crabb, Angelo Salese (Kale), Mirko Buffoni and even Nicola Salmoria's birth date I can't find

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#396196 - 05/08/23 07:01 PM

this is sounding a little creepy now ...

asking people their personal information online is a bit creepy, especially since you said that the information will be kept personal and never published.

If you are documenting MAME, do the ages of the MAMEDEVs really matter?

tommygamer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: Jason]
#396198 - 05/08/23 07:20 PM

> If you are documenting MAME, do the ages of the MAMEDEVs really matter?

I just found some birth dates online of some of the MAME maintainers and then I thought: I want to know them all.
It's interesting because you can calculate at what age they started to maintain MAME.

So please read my question correctly: I don't want the age of all MAMEDevs but of the MAME maintainers and in particular the missing ones.

Edited by tommygamer (05/08/23 11:15 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#396210 - 05/09/23 09:30 AM

> > If you are documenting MAME, do the ages of the MAMEDEVs really matter?
>
> I just found some birth dates online of some of the MAME maintainers and then I
> thought: I want to know them all.
> It's interesting because you can calculate at what age they started to maintain MAME.
>
> So please read my question correctly: I don't want the age of all MAMEDevs but of the
> MAME maintainers and in particular the missing ones.

You're still 100% in "creepy" territory.

The most likely thing you're going to get if you keep this up is a ban.

People will put that information out if they want it, digging for it on the other hand is a big no-no.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: Haze]
#396213 - 05/09/23 11:04 AM

>> So please read my question correctly: I don't want the age of all MAMEDevs but of the
>> MAME maintainers and in particular the missing ones.

> You're still 100% in "creepy" territory.

* pardon with part off topic, long ago MW loonybin early era days *

This thread somewhat reminds me when Fazeo was making fun of twisty about an issue
with Fazeo jokingly posting with :

A couple unmarked white vans will park in front of twisty’s house with a sign offering free game tickets to see
NHL Toronto Maple Leafs home hockey games. That might lure twisty outside.

Those were days when posters would jokingly rag on each other. Twisty and I exchanged barbs about his Maple Leafs winning and my favorite team Pitt Penguins for Stanley Cup title.

tommygamer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME maintainers chronological overview new [Re: Haze]
#396241 - 05/12/23 07:29 PM

> You're still 100% in "creepy" territory.

If you look up the word creepy in a dictionary, YOUR PICTURE should be placed there, as an autist with red hair (or any fucking color) who can't keep his big mouth shut...

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

#396243 - 05/12/23 07:41 PM

> If you look up the word creepy in a dictionary, YOUR PICTURE should be placed there,
> as an autist with red hair (or any fucking color) who can't keep his big mouth
> shut...

Personal attacks, hmm always the best way to hide your own inadequacies - I wonder what yours are.... ?

Could it be... Nah... probably too small to be of concern.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 515