Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina
#396074 - 04/25/23 07:20 AM

https://twitter.com/castpixel/status/1650599181856153621

[EDIT: To iterate... GG artwork coming soon... site update coming... um... "eventually."]

Contacted me a few days ago, that she had updated the artwork, cleaning up the animation, and adding realistic shadows.

I dug up the original full-size pics that TheGuru had taken back in 2002, sent them her way, and it looks like she already started tackling it... see the link above.

Will make it into the next update... in the mean time, when I get the final version, I'll post a link here, so everyone can enjoy it early.

(I was "this close" to getting the next update done back in January... then so much real life stuff has been happening... I'm frustrated as hell that it's been almost 30 months since the last update... and I really, REALLY miss that I haven't worked on artwork hardly at all.

Lots of other really cool updates coming... once I get my stuff back together).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: Mr. Do]
#396077 - 04/25/23 10:13 AM

> (I was "this close" ….to getting the next update done back in January...

Maxwell Smart’s ( Agent 86 ) quote.

Some bezels here yearning to pay you a visit and hang out with your Ramtek Hit Me upright bezel there.

I ran into a high school classmate who also dined frequently at Los Alamitos Casa Castillo restaurant back during 1970s era with his family. As a kid then, he played both Ramtek Hit Me upright cab and then the replacement cocktail table version that was Mirco’s 21.

Both of them are same game, but he preferred Mirco 21 over Ramtek Hit Me.
He claimed 21 was playable compared to Hit Me. I explained maybe the dip switch setting was set to difficult setting in Hit Me.

If I only had both manuals on hand with me to show him or swat him over his head with them to knock some sense into him. He was a stubborn classmate back in the days and I see he probably hasn’t changed.
The aging process hasn’t been kind to me and him because we both aged and look like late actor Ned Beatty.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: gregf]
#396177 - 05/07/23 04:24 AM

Is is possible to have the background objects opening and closing actually be animated or is MAME artwork just limited to the two frame of open and close?

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: uVSthem]
#396183 - 05/07/23 06:03 PM

> Is is possible to have the background objects opening and closing actually be
> animated or is MAME artwork just limited to the two frame of open and close?

The artwork isn't limited to open/close, but the game may be. If the game has those images on a slider-type control, all you have to do is illustrate all of the various stages of openness and add them as states for the control. If you're not handy with graphics software, well.... yeah...

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: Nightvoice]
#396184 - 05/07/23 06:33 PM

Thank you for the reply.

If the game's artwork states are binary such as the Golly Ghost doors which are only open and close, how would someone animated the door motion so it is not just two frames? I assume someone would need to record each door's movement with a high speed camera to have the frames for the animation.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: uVSthem]
#396185 - 05/07/23 07:42 PM

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> If the game's artwork states are binary such as the Golly Ghost doors which are only
> open and close, how would someone animated the door motion so it is not just two
> frames? I assume someone would need to record each door's movement with a high speed
> camera to have the frames for the animation.

I don't see how that would be possible, then. It would require MAME artwork to support animated gifs or some other kind of video. I know the pinball guys are skilled at animating 3D toys on their tables, so this would possibly be a joint project between a MAME dev and a Virtual PinMAME designer or the like. It might require some kind of substantial bribe or sexual favor.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#396190 - 05/08/23 05:13 AM

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> If the game's artwork states are binary such as the Golly Ghost doors which are only
> open and close, how would someone animated the door motion so it is not just two
> frames? I assume someone would need to record each door's movement with a high speed
> camera to have the frames for the animation.

That's actually something that Christina is trying to do...

I posted over here... hoping to get an answer: https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Golly Ghost update coming... eventually... thank you to Christina new [Re: Nightvoice]
#396192 - 05/08/23 01:41 PM

If animated artwork were to become a reality at some point, would the frame rate of the artwork have to be the same frame rate of the game being emulated? I would assume that would be the best way to make sure the gameplay timing isn't thrown off.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 479