MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

1970s story about the emergence of a new electronic game called Pong
#396073 - 04/25/23 05:02 AM

https://twitter.com/GBHArchives/status/1650684784782323713

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: 1970s story about the emergence of a new electronic game called Pong new [Re: Andrew]
#396076 - 04/25/23 09:52 AM

Heh. The salesman saying ‘Silicone’ back then. The guy probably worked in the jukebox field market and was thinking Dolly Parton’s big boobs when being interviewed.

“Breasts …ooops I meant to say bests”. Maybe that was one of the dialogue skits with Threes Company Jack Tripper character ( John Ritter ) saying iirc

Anyway, a good clip find there. Dang. And the news reporter mentions a few of the known pong clone names not yet emulated. Even though Allied Leisure Paddle Battle is almost an exact clone of Atari Pong, there might be a couple slight differences where net list code might be different than what is supported in Atari Pong. The tv monitor might be one thing even though the resolution output should be the same because they were black / white TV sets. The digital audio output sounds might also be different between Pong versus Paddle Battle.

Midway Winner has a few other differences and would require different net list code work just to get Winner emulated.

For Play’s Rally, which I had uploaded schematics here in 2018 requires a bunch of different stuff such as slide switch input recognition, a couple different TTL chips not yet emulated iirc.

I miss my old computer not working and need to get it repaired and or hard disk contents rescued if possible.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: 1970s story about the emergence of a new electronic game called Pong new [Re: gregf]
#396081 - 04/25/23 04:47 PM

> I miss my old computer not working and need to get it repaired and or hard disk
> contents rescued if possible.

I had success a couple years ago with recovering data from a 1TB hard drive. I didn't realize the drive had been sitting in corrosive liquid for a period of time. It was completely silent when trying to boot. I was hoping the PCB was the issue so thought I could buy the same drive and just replace the PCB. Then I learned that the BIOS chip on the PCB is specific to the hard drive.

I found a company that transplants your chip onto a known working PCB. I shipped my PCB to them and few weeks later got back the donor PCB with my BIOS chip on it. I installed the PCB and with fingers crossed, it booted up perfectly after being dormant for several years as if nothing had happened. I quickly copied the data to a good drive. So for about $50 US plus shipping I got access to my data.

https://www.hdd-parts.com/

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: 1970s story about the emergence of a new electronic game called Pong new [Re: Andrew]
#396167 - 05/06/23 08:29 AM

Thanks for that info. I have saved your post for future reference.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 477 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 272