View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Gfinch
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/06/14
Send PM

pfeMAME version 2.27 has been released today
#396070 - 04/25/23 03:54 AM

This is another big release (And it finally includes an updated macOS release also).

Sorry it’s been so long – between illness and Destiny2 I have had little time to come back to this.

Before I get onto the changes, I do want to point out something that someone said recently on a MAME post regarding no other MAME front ends in current production supporting software lists. Not true. I for one do and I’m sure there are others.

So, what do we have for you today….Well, I have added language support. You can find it under pfeMAME preferences and also when first time run. Some caveats; Firstly, after selecting anything other than English, you have to restart pfeMAME for the new language to take effect. Not a major issue. Secondly, I don’t know other languages, so I wrote a script to automatically use Mr. Google for the translation. Unfortunately, that means there is no context in the translation so some things I am sure look pretty funny to those who know otherwise. Thirdly, at the moment my language source files are not fully compliant with other tools (for merging, upkeep etc). I will work on that one in the future.

I have added a cache file for the xml output from MAME in order to speed up database refreshes.

I have completely rewritten the alternate emulation engines code. It is now extensible and can support multiple systems for running MAME roms using different emulation engines. Even non-mame roms should work. Check out the manual for more info.

Lots of bug fixes as per usual. Check out the changelog file for a complete list of changes.

Enjoy.

You can download this release from here.

Please read the manual as it has everything you need.

Please report bugs. You can email [email protected] or use the features on the sourceforge site to create a ticket, leave a review, or chat.

pfeMAME is a front end for the Multiple Arcade Game Emulator (MAME) written in Python. It is cross platform (tested on Linux (Ubuntu), Windows, and MacOS). It also includes a graphical Tile View designed for MAME cabinets which allows control using joystick / gamepad. It supports favourite game flagging, MESS systems, Software Lists (for systems), per-rom input mapping, and launching of other emulation engines. It was written with a minimalist view in mind but also because there were some features that I wanted that other front ends just didn't provide.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: pfeMAME version 2.27 has been released today new [Re: Gfinch]
#396071 - 04/25/23 04:21 AM

> Before I get onto the changes, I do want to point out something that someone said
> recently on a MAME post regarding no other MAME front ends in current production
> supporting software lists. Not true. I for one do and I’m sure there are others.
>
Yes, I've been trying out all the freely-available frontends and there are indeed at least 3 more that support software lists. None, however, support loose software.

I'll try this version out and see how it goes.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: pfeMAME version 2.27 has been released today new [Re: Robbbert]
#396072 - 04/25/23 04:50 AM

> I'll try this version out and see how it goes.

Easy to set up, games run fine. Not many adjustments though - for example I like to run the game in a window.

The front-end window can't be maximised or resized - it seems to be stuck at a default size.

As for software lists - I couldn't find anything in the manual about them, nor could I find a way to run software in the front-end.

Perhaps someone can correct me?

Gfinch
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396084 - 04/26/23 05:04 AM

You should be able to run 'loose' software. The app just scans all files within the system folder and lists them under that system. Check out page 22 of the manual.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#396085 - 04/26/23 07:22 AM

> You should be able to run 'loose' software. The app just scans all files within the
> system folder and lists them under that system. Check out page 22 of the manual.

I followed that, but without success. No software ever showed up.

Here's the problems I have:

At start, it tries to phone home looking for updates, but my test system is not on the internet, causing pfemame to furiously flash red. Is there a way to turn this off?

Main screen - only parents show as "exists" - the clones will run, but they don't "exist". This might be because I use merged rom sets.

I found the setting to run games in windowed mode, but it doesn't stick, and there's no "save" button". The game always runs full screen.

According to Section 22 (page 25), I have to make a machine to be a favorite before it can be used for software. So I made "Microbee 16k Standard" a favorite. Selecting Favorites causes it to show up. But there's nothing else there. I can't see any right-click option to make the software show.

The right-click includes "Analyze XML Info" - not sure if this applies to the machine or the software, but it never works. "This program does not exist in an XML HASH file."

In File Paths, it lets me add multiple paths to the "Roms folder". But it's all forgotten after restarting. Sometimes the new folder shows but the original one has vanished.

For the above Microbee, I tried out the "ROMS preferences". Before selecting a bios, the edit-box shows what looks like "1" or "l". I had to select the 2nd bios then the first to make it show properly. I selected window mode in there, it was saved but still not applied. Lastly there's a section for manual settings - there's no examples of what kind of things go there. I added a line to see what happened, but it wasn't saved.

So, sorry to say, I haven't had much luck. Running games and systems by themselves is fine. But no software.

Gfinch
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396246 - 05/12/23 11:57 PM

Sorry for the delay responding, been away. I'll try to answer some questions but I also need more info.

For the next release I will add a preference setting to skip checking for updates on startup.

Right now I don't support merged romsets. There is an annoying amount of overhead to do this and it was never my intention. If you search online a number of other front ends don't support it and people have created work arounds.

The setting not sticking issue is quite odd. What operating system are you using? Have you checked the INI file after making the setting change and restarting pfeMAME to see what's going on?

Regarding your comment 'According to Section 22 (page 25)', that section specifically states for Tile View. Are you using tile view?

Analyse XML info is for software lists. The name of the software must match an entry in the software list XML files provided with MAME (for Windows. On Linus you usually have to download them manually). You must have the HASH folder setup under MAME.

For the Microbee Bios issue, I'll try to set that up and have a look.

Please also note, I'm one guy trying to create software across three platforms with no assistance to debug. It's a hobby, not a job.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#396263 - 05/18/23 03:44 PM

> Right now I don't support merged romsets. There is an annoying amount of overhead to
> do this and it was never my intention. If you search online a number of other front
> ends don't support it and people have created work arounds.

That's odd to me, because merged sets are just a subset of split sets. If you already scan the selected game plus its parents then merged sets should just work.

> Analyse XML info is for software lists. The name of the software must match an entry
> in the software list XML files provided with MAME (for Windows. On Linus you usually
> have to download them manually). You must have the HASH folder setup under MAME.

"Loose software" specifically means things that don't match the software list XMLs. Like some random .NES file or a disk image for a computer.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 254