MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

legolas77
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/23
Send PM

Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode?
#395975 - 04/13/23 12:32 AM

Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? How?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: legolas77]
#395977 - 04/13/23 08:21 AM

You can apply the hq3x filter to video output in MAME – use the -video bgfx and switch the screen chain to “hq3x” in the slider controls. However, it definitely doesn’t “improve” games.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#395999 - 04/14/23 12:24 PM

Where is the option video bgfx in MameUI 0,248 ?

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: legolas77]
#396000 - 04/14/23 01:18 PM

> Where is the option video bgfx in MameUI 0,248 ?

To set bgfx as the default for all systems, click on Options, Default System Options, (you're already on the correct tab), Video Mode, choose BGFX.

To set bgfx for one game, right-click the game, Properties, Display, Video Mode, choose BGFX.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: Robbbert]
#396002 - 04/14/23 02:22 PM

I have loaded in BGFX settings the file hq3x in screen chains, but I cannot see graphic improves in games, as in the GOG games:
Why ??????

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#396003 - 04/14/23 02:50 PM

> I have loaded in BGFX settings the file hq3x in screen chains, but I cannot see
> graphic improves in games, as in the GOG games:
> Why ??????

Umm, no idea?

I pressed the ~ key and went to the selection slider, and hq3x was chosen. I used the slider to pick other ones and they mostly have an effect. For whatever reason hq3x doesn't do anything. I don't know anything about GOG.

You'll have to ask an expert as to what the fault is, if there even is a fault. All I can say is that MAMEUI is setting up what's asked of it in your ini file. After that, I have no clue.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: Robbbert]
#396005 - 04/14/23 06:05 PM

Could you send me the screenshots of your selections about the option hq3x ? Maybe I am doing mistakes.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

#396007 - 04/14/23 10:24 PM Attachment: 2.png 824 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: John IV]
#396013 - 04/15/23 10:26 AM

John IV, I have not this option.....

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#396014 - 04/15/23 12:14 PM

> John IV, I have not this option.....

Try using up-to-date MAME, not MAMEUI.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#396015 - 04/15/23 01:12 PM

> John IV, I have not this option.....

Yes you do. Press Tab then choose Sliders.

If the Window 0, Screen 0 Effect slider doesn't show, then you're not using BGFX.

Also, make sure that 'artwork' is in your Artwork Path - some effects don't work if that's left out.

As cuavas pointed out, your version of MAMEUI is 6 months old. There's been a bunch of changes since then which may (or may not) change things. Try at least to nail down the problem with MAME 0.253, and if you can get a satisfactory conclusion then you could then try with MAMEUI 0.253 .

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#396018 - 04/15/23 09:14 PM

Sorry, but I do not undestand...
even if I active BGFX, in sliders THERE IS NOT the option windows 0 ecc....

I use MameUI 0.248 that is the FINAL version in OFFICIAL MameUI site.

I do not manage to use others mame, they are hard to use for me.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#396019 - 04/15/23 10:40 PM Attachment: 4.png 52 KB (0 downloads)

Here are the dialogues in MameUI. As Vas said though you should use .253 as a lot of work was done on BGFX between now and .248. You can simply double click the baseline .exe and get its internal UI.

You may need to delete the games' cfg files if they're housing residual bgfx settings.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

john iv

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396021 - 04/15/23 11:19 PM

I have set as you can say, but in sliders there is not the option hq3x. When the new 0.253 MAMEUI will be available???

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#396023 - 04/16/23 12:25 AM

> I have set as you can say, but in sliders there is not the option hq3x. When the new
> 0.253 MAMEUI will be available???

Did you extract ALL the files when you installed MAMEUI?

The release announcement of 0.253 is in the News sub-forum.

This topic is starting to smell suspicious, I'm bowing out.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396026 - 04/17/23 12:52 AM

Suspicious ? Why? I do not Know how using Mame, that's why I am writing in this forum, otherwise I did not stay on this forum...

In any case, I managed to install Mame 0.253, MameUI is blocked on the version 0.248 final.

I have the option hq4x: MARVELLOUS !!!!!!

There is a problem: there is always this icon of Microsoft store, how can avoid of making appear?

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

#396028 - 04/17/23 04:53 AM

So did it improve the game or what?

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#396029 - 04/17/23 09:33 AM

> There is a problem: there is always this icon of Microsoft store, how can avoid of
> making appear?

I don't know for sure as it's too low res and not in english, but you may have broken it by uninstalling the xbox app.

https://www.minitool.com/news/ms-gaming-overlay-popup.html

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: smf]
#396030 - 04/17/23 10:08 AM

> > There is a problem: there is always this icon of Microsoft store, how can avoid of
> > making appear?
>
> I don't know for sure as it's too low res and not in english, but you may have broken
> it by uninstalling the xbox app.
>
> https://www.minitool.com/news/ms-gaming-overlay-popup.html

Thank you, I have solved !!!!

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: Rotwang]
#396032 - 04/17/23 12:28 PM

> So did it improve the game or what?

Simple imagine:

https://ibb.co/hV9mJhK

with hq4x:

https://ibb.co/Z1NrCsJ

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#396045 - 04/20/23 12:29 PM

Ew, all this for that ?
Just the default bilinear filter with prescale 2 will look better than this, if the 'pixellated only slightly softened' kind of looks was the goal.
That option has been available for decades FYI, don't even need BGFX.
I'll never understand the love for those 'HQx' 'xBRz' and likes family of filters, they all look hideous, heavily hurting the original art and failing to competently 'HD-ify' at the same time IMO. Welp.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: LensLarque]
#396046 - 04/20/23 02:23 PM

I'd say that crt-geom & friends give a better "HD feel" than those old depixelizer monstrosities.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: ICEknight]
#396053 - 04/22/23 08:59 PM

> I'd say that crt-geom & friends give a better "HD feel" than those old depixelizer
> monstrosities.

For me crt-geom & friends are horrible filters, IMHO.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is it possible improve mame games with hq3x graphic mode? new [Re: LensLarque]
#396054 - 04/22/23 09:08 PM

> Ew, all this for that ?
> Just the default bilinear filter with prescale 2 will look better than this, if the
> 'pixellated only slightly softened' kind of looks was the goal.

Could you show me how I can set bilinear filter with prescale 2? I am NEW in Mame world !!!

Thank you for your patience.

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

#396055 - 04/22/23 09:10 PM

I don't usually bother with hlsl filters but when I do I try to mimic the shitty monitors in the beat up old cabinets I remember playing these games on.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396063 - 04/24/23 11:31 AM

> > Ew, all this for that ?
> > Just the default bilinear filter with prescale 2 will look better than this, if the
> > 'pixellated only slightly softened' kind of looks was the goal.
>
>
> Could you show me how I can set bilinear filter with prescale 2? I am NEW in Mame
> world !!!
>
> Thank you for your patience.

Seriously ? the menus are enough self-explanatory IMO.

in MAMEUI apparently just 'use blinear filtering' and set 'bitmap prescaling' to 2.

> I don't usually bother with hlsl filters but when I do I try to mimic the shitty
> monitors in the beat up old cabinets I remember playing these games on.

TBH the default settings of the CRT shaders we have seem to want to emulate just that, which is a stinker IMO, especially to younger ppl who never experienced real CRTs first hand.

Presets available for crisp broadcast-like RGB monitors (or SCART TVs), wether trinitron or shadow mask, would be better, methinks.
That's what has always been popular with retro hobbyists anyway, not run-down arcades monitors.

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#396068 - 04/24/23 06:57 PM

> TBH the default settings of the CRT shaders we have seem to want to emulate just that, which is a stinker IMO, especially to younger ppl who never experienced real CRTs first hand.

Try this adjusted crt-geom-deluxe and see if it fits your needs better: https://pastebin.com/jyHRtmCD

It should look just like the CRT TV I have next to me right now.

legolas77
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396079 - 04/25/23 04:20 PM

Is this option you mean ?

Is Video mode ok on "auto" ?

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396082 - 04/25/23 05:57 PM

are you using MAME or MAMEUI ? welp doesn't matter.

why yes obviously it's the option.
you can use that with either all video modes I think, though with BGFX you don't need to turn bilinear on preemptively since it is available from the sliders as the 'default' effect anyway.

basically 'bitmap prescaling' on 2 will make the bilinear filter look sharper.
even sharper at 3 or 4, although less noticeably so as you increase the factor.
it is a very basic way of controlling the sharpness of the bilinear filter, rudimentary, but still better than HQx and xBR in my opinion.

personally I do prefer the CRT filters as well, except maybe for vertical screen orientation games.

> Try this adjusted crt-geom-deluxe and see if it fits your needs better:
> https://pastebin.com/jyHRtmCD
>
> It should look just like the CRT TV I have next to me right now.

Yes it is noticeably better than the default crt_geom and crt_geom_deluxe, though personally i prefer a lower TVL look with:

• aperture_2_4_rgb
  • less brightness boost, like 2.50
  • and no curvature at all

but more importantly what strikes me is that it still looks softer than what i'd call a crisp RGB CRT.
even using Lanczos it's still too soft and overbloomed IMO, i can't fix this for some reason, and there'd need to be something between Box and Lanczos to begin.

which leads me to HLSL, which permits further control of smoothing and a crispier picture, but its default settings in the BGFX selection are beyond garbage, idk why.
it's the one that'd need to be fixed the most and by far.
i've tried but for some reason I can't fix the absolutely nuked washed out and dark colors, gotta start from scratch with a fitting aperture grille or shadow mask and try to get to a crisp RGB monitor again.
and those geometry simulation settings absolutely need to be turned off as well.

PS: also is it just me or some of the sliders settings still don't save ? like specifically in BGFX's HLSL the shadow mask type keeps going back to the default instead of the one I select.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Send PM

#396083 - 04/25/23 08:34 PM

You could try setting prescale higher to use w/ the BGFX chains if you think they're too soft, the chains now take into account the prescale setting a few releases ago.

Note however that there is a BGFX bug currently where if you do have prescale and move off via slider to another BGFX chain it will 'lose' the prescale and soften up.

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=8587

[Update]
Hmm, I had forgotten that we still have some weird interplay w/ prescale and some of the BGFX chains. So maybe take that into account if you want to try to sharpen it up.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/10859#issuecomment-1416892353

Edited by John IV (04/25/23 09:25 PM)

john iv

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#396086 - 04/26/23 08:37 AM

> You could try setting prescale higher to use w/ the BGFX chains if you think they're
> too soft, the chains now take into account the prescale setting a few releases ago.
>
> Note however that there is a BGFX bug currently where if you do have prescale and
> move off via slider to another BGFX chain it will 'lose' the prescale and soften up.
>
> https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=8587
>
> [Update]
> Hmm, I had forgotten that we still have some weird interplay w/ prescale and some of
> the BGFX chains. So maybe take that into account if you want to try to sharpen it up.
>
> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/10859#issuecomment-1416892353

yeah it's not working right, prescale 2 does nothing to geom's sharpness and 3 multiplies the resolution

idk how this shader chain works but in HLSL it's completely different since you can set the smoothing manually for X & Y (defocus)

PS: right in HLSL seems the settings that refuse to save are the mask type and geometry (distortion etc), since they keep coming back even if I save.

there's still a long way to walk before this even comes close to RA's shaders implementation TBH. I dislike RA for many reasons, but shaders is the one thing it offers that truly rocks. In MAME in comparison it is still just frustrating.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 555