View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

asking chatgpt about MAME
#395691 - 02/20/23 07:36 AM

So I gave asking chatgpt a bit about MAME a try.

Not totally accurate but seems to have some idea of what MAME is and what is inside of MAME. Probably could make it better if I give it some idea of what the structure is and what things do. Sort of OK on summary but get into the details and it wanders off...

> what is the latest version of MAME this model understands?

As an AI language model, my knowledge cutoff is September 2021, so I understand MAME up to that point in time. At that time, the latest version of MAME was 0.236, which was released in August 2021. However, it's possible that a newer version of MAME has been released since then, which I would not be aware of.

> summarize the driver model built into MAME 0.236

MAME 0.236 uses a driver model to organize and manage the emulation of different arcade and home computer systems. In this model, each supported system has a separate driver that describes the system's hardware, software, and user interface.

The driver contains information about the system's CPU, sound and graphics hardware, input and output devices, and other system-specific features. It also includes functions for initializing and resetting the system, handling input events, and rendering graphics and audio.

When MAME starts, it scans the available drivers and creates an internal representation of each supported system. Each system can then be selected and launched from the MAME user interface, and the emulator will use the corresponding driver to emulate the selected system.

The driver model allows MAME to support a wide variety of arcade and home computer systems, while providing a consistent user interface and command-line interface for all supported systems. It also allows for easy addition of new systems to MAME by creating a new driver for the system.

> Describe the file src/mame/drivers/pacman.cpp from MAME 0.236

The pacman.cpp file in the src/mame/drivers directory of MAME 0.236 contains the driver implementation for the Pac-Man arcade game.

The driver defines the hardware configuration of the Pac-Man system, including the CPU, sound and graphics hardware, input and output devices, and other system-specific features. It also includes functions for initializing and resetting the system, handling input events, and rendering graphics and audio.

Some of the specific components defined in the driver include:

A Z80 CPU for running the game code
A Namco 3-channel sound generator for producing sound effects and music
A Namco custom video controller for generating graphics
A joystick and two buttons for player input

The driver implementation also includes ROM definitions for the game code and graphics, and mapping these ROMs to memory regions that are accessed by the CPU during emulation.

The driver implements the machine_config and screen_update functions, which are called during emulation to initialize the hardware and update the game screen, respectively. It also defines an input port configuration that maps the joystick and button inputs to specific actions in the game.

Overall, the pacman.cpp driver provides a complete emulation of the Pac-Man arcade game hardware and allows the game to be played in MAME.

> what other items are described inside that file?

In addition to the CPU, sound and graphics hardware, and input devices, the pacman.cpp driver file also defines several other items related to the Pac-Man arcade game.

Some of the other items described in the file include:

A set of color palettes used for the graphics
A set of machine configuration settings that control the emulation behavior, such as the number of lives and the coin mechanism
A set of memory regions used by the hardware, including regions for ROMs, RAM, and video memory
Functions for initializing the sound and graphics hardware, as well as for generating the game's sound effects and music
The game's main loop, which is executed during emulation to run the game logic and update the screen
A configuration for the video display, including the size of the display window and the refresh rate

Overall, the pacman.cpp driver file contains a complete implementation of the Pac-Man arcade game hardware, including all of the components and settings necessary for the game to be accurately emulated in MAME.

> what other ROMs are described inside that file?

In addition to the main game code and graphics ROMs, the pacman.cpp driver file describes several other ROMs used by the Pac-Man arcade game hardware. These include:

82s123.7f: This is a 2-bit PROM that contains the sprite pixel data for the Pac-Man character and the ghosts. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x1000.

82s126.4a: This is a 16-byte PROM that is used for color lookups for the graphics. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x4000.

82s126.1m: This is a 16-byte PROM that is used for color lookups for the graphics. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x4200.

prg_1.1h: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains the maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x0000.

prg_2.1k: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x0800.

prg_3.1m: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x1000.

prg_4.1n: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x1800.

prg_5.3m: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x2000.

prg_6.3n: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x2800.

prg_7.3p: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x3000.

prg_8.3r: This is a 2764 EPROM that contains additional maze layout data for the game. It is mapped to the CPU memory region at address 0x3800.

These ROMs are essential for emulating the Pac-Man game accurately in MAME, as they contain important data used by the game's hardware and software.

Edited by lharms (02/20/23 07:36 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: asking chatgpt about MAME new [Re: lharms]
#395692 - 02/20/23 08:15 AM

> So I gave asking chatgpt a bit about MAME a try.
>
> Not totally accurate but seems to have some idea of what MAME is and what is inside
> of MAME. Probably could make it better if I give it some idea of what the structure
> is and what things do. Sort of OK on summary but get into the details and it wanders
> off...
>

I don't know, I feel like I'm getting dumber trying to parse that.

It's the kind of 'intelligent looking nothing' you get from students who don't really understand a subject at all and just want to reach a word count by writing in as vague terms as possible, with the a bunch of misinformation thrown in which highlights their lack of understanding.

There used to be a website covering MAME releases that did similar, it was like somebody had put the whatsnew details into a machine, replaced some of the paragraphs with rewritten ones, often losing the meaning, and then wrote a bunch of irrelevant information about single words / terms found in there that really had nothing to do with the release.

Personally I'd rank it as 'painful' in terms of reading.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: asking chatgpt about MAME new [Re: Haze]
#395693 - 02/20/23 08:31 AM

> > So I gave asking chatgpt a bit about MAME a try.
> >
> > Not totally accurate but seems to have some idea of what MAME is and what is inside
> > of MAME. Probably could make it better if I give it some idea of what the structure
> > is and what things do. Sort of OK on summary but get into the details and it
> wanders
> > off...
> >
>
> I don't know, I feel like I'm getting dumber trying to parse that.
>
> It's the kind of 'intelligent looking nothing' you get from students who don't really
> understand a subject at all and just want to reach a word count by writing in as
> vague terms as possible, with the a bunch of misinformation thrown in which
> highlights their lack of understanding.
>
> There used to be a website covering MAME releases that did similar, it was like
> somebody had put the whatsnew details into a machine, replaced some of the paragraphs
> with rewritten ones, often losing the meaning, and then wrote a bunch of irrelevant
> information about single words / terms found in there that really had nothing to do
> with the release.
>
> Personally I'd rank it as 'painful' in terms of reading.

Yeah not a bad assessment of what it spat out. However, what is annoying is it makes me feel like I am using the tool wrong. Even though I know it is just stringing words together based on probability.

It is like it is decently good at summary. But *really* bad at detail sometimes and makes things up. One thread I was doing with movies it got very confused and kept spitting out bad details even though I corrected it. What is also annoying is if if you didn't know better you might accept what it is saying as correct.

I was trying to specifically trying to see if it would summarize the functions, macros and rom descs in that file without feeding it the real file. I might fiddle again with it later and see if I can give it context and it makes better sense of it.

This thing is going to be bonkers on the internet when they add it to bing. Not sure what to make of that yet.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#395694 - 02/20/23 09:41 PM

> This thing is going to be bonkers on the internet when they add it to bing. Not sure
> what to make of that yet.

The trouble is, it’s wrong but confidently wrong a lot of the time. It doesn’t give you sources, you can’t see the material it used in context. If people try using its output for anything that matters, results are going to be hilarious.

Here’s a great example of how useless it is in action (read all the comments):
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10yv71h/obscure_arcade_game/

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#395695 - 02/21/23 07:27 AM

> This thing is going to be bonkers on the internet when they add it to bing. Not sure
> what to make of that yet.

Well, that's been a disaster so far. BingBot turned into an insane angsty clingy teen way too quickly. You need some serious filtering to allow it access to the internet. It was even more wrong, more often, would flip out if you said anything that could possibly be negative, and get even worse if you said anything positive.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: asking chatgpt about MAME new [Re: TriggerFin]
#395697 - 02/21/23 04:02 PM

> > This thing is going to be bonkers on the internet when they add it to bing. Not
> sure
> > what to make of that yet.
>
> Well, that's been a disaster so far. BingBot turned into an insane angsty clingy teen
> way too quickly. You need some serious filtering to allow it access to the internet.
> It was even more wrong, more often, would flip out if you said anything that could
> possibly be negative, and get even worse if you said anything positive.

So it's doing a great job of simulating the average Internet user, then?

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: asking chatgpt about MAME new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#395698 - 02/21/23 11:55 PM

> > This thing is going to be bonkers on the internet when they add it to bing. Not
> sure
> > what to make of that yet.
>
> The trouble is, it’s wrong but confidently wrong a lot of the time. It doesn’t give
> you sources, you can’t see the material it used in context. If people try using its
> output for anything that matters, results are going to be hilarious.
>
> Here’s a great example of how useless it is in action (read all the comments):
> https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10yv71h/obscure_arcade_game/

hehe maybe they can rename it scuttle?
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Scuttle

its really odd. it is subtly bad but at the same time really cool and decent at what it does sometimes. the problem is like what you point out it is confidently wrong. maybe it is a perfect match for the internet.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#395701 - 02/22/23 03:46 AM

wow the one inside bing is worse than the 'beta' one. After a few questions on a topic it cuts you off and will refuse to respond to new queries. you have to 'start a new topic'. as a research tool this will be useless in that state.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#395715 - 02/23/23 04:53 PM

> wow the one inside bing is worse than the 'beta' one. After a few questions on a
> topic it cuts you off and will refuse to respond to new queries. you have to 'start a
> new topic'. as a research tool this will be useless in that state.

I think that's their current workaround for it going off the deep end.

Try asking it if it remembers your previous conversation.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: asking chatgpt about MAME new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#395716 - 02/23/23 05:29 PM

> So it's doing a great job of simulating the average Internet user, then?

Very much so.

https://www.youtube.com/live/6x68X05ZLRE?feature=share&t=5886

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 358