View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Best PC Gamepad?
#395545 - 01/15/23 03:58 PM

I know that PS and Xbox game pads are likely the answer, but I've been trying to track down a particular build of pad that (unfortunately), I don't believe exists.

Basically, I mostly want a high quality PS or Xbox pad base i.e.,

• Force feedback would be nice
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Clicky R3/L3 buttons under the analog sticks
  • GOOD DPAD is a MUST for fighting games/platformers - which is likely more PS pad than Xbox (or maybe Switch? Although getting Switch to work with PC looks more finicky)
  • Analog L2/R2 triggers - hopefuly on separate axes so pressing both don't cancel each other out (this is likely more a driver/API issue than a build issue)
  • L1/R1 triggers (along with face buttons) can be buttons or pressure sensitive, doesn't matter
  • Start/Select/mappable mode or analog button for a 3rd button in the middle
  • Good compatibility with DInput, XInput, and SDL

Then there is the big requirement:

• SIX FACE BUTTONS

I know that's overall a lot of buttons, but I'm at a loss why this hasn't been designed (or, if it has, it's really not popular as I can't track it down).

To me, this would be the ultimate pad as it would accommodate Mega Drive/Saturn 6 button pads (along with Saturn analog pad; it would cover N64 C-buttons, it would cover the PC Engine 6 button pad, the 3DO six button pad as well as traditional Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft controls (plus the extra buttons could always be mapped to something potentially useful or just left unmapped.

Anyone know if such a beast is available for purchase?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#395550 - 01/15/23 08:48 PM

What you’re asking for is impractical. Everyone learns sooner or later that six face buttons is too much to be trying to manipulate with a thumb. Sega learned that with the Saturn and switched to four buttons with the Dreamcast. Nintendo learned that with the N64 and switched to a right analog stick and four face buttons on the GameCube. Microsoft learned that with the Xbox and turned White/Black into LB/RB shoulder buttons.

What you’re asking for can’t work well with XInput because it’s an inherently limited API. The Xbox Elite controller has a bunch of extra buttons on the back for your middle/ring fingers, but you can’t use them as independent buttons via XInput, only as aliases for other buttons. XInput supports ten application buttons total (A, B, X, Y, LB, RB, LSB, RSB, Start, Back), four 16-bit axes (LSX, LSY, RSX, RSY), and two 8-bit axes (LT, RT). Depending on the controller subtype, some axes may function as switches (LT/RT as buttons for arcade stick/pad, RSX/RSY as POV hat for flight stick), but by gaining switches you lose axes.

(You can use the extra buttons on an Xbox Elite controller independently on Linux with SDL, but somehow I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.)

You’re thinking like a ten-year-old wanting to jam in every possible feature. The trouble is, when you do this, you end up with something overly complicated, expensive, and impractical to actually use.

sanwastick
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/23
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#395551 - 01/15/23 09:50 PM

> What you’re asking for is impractical. Everyone learns sooner or later that six face
> buttons is too much to be trying to manipulate with a thumb. Sega learned that with
> the Saturn and switched to four buttons with the Dreamcast. Nintendo learned that
> with the N64 and switched to a right analog stick and four face buttons on the
> GameCube. Microsoft learned that with the Xbox and turned White/Black into LB/RB
> shoulder buttons.
>
> What you’re asking for can’t work well with XInput because it’s an inherently limited
> API. The Xbox Elite controller has a bunch of extra buttons on the back for your
> middle/ring fingers, but you can’t use them as independent buttons via XInput, only
> as aliases for other buttons. XInput supports ten application buttons total (A, B, X,
> Y, LB, RB, LSB, RSB, Start, Back), four 16-bit axes (LSX, LSY, RSX, RSY), and two
> 8-bit axes (LT, RT). Depending on the controller subtype, some axes may function as
> switches (LT/RT as buttons for arcade stick/pad, RSX/RSY as POV hat for flight
> stick), but by gaining switches you lose axes.
>
> (You can use the extra buttons on an Xbox Elite controller independently on Linux
> with SDL, but somehow I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.)
>
> You’re thinking like a ten-year-old wanting to jam in every possible feature. The
> trouble is, when you do this, you end up with something overly complicated,
> expensive, and impractical to actually use.

Yeah actually not only is it practical but Retrobit is releasing one soon. Stay in your lane and stop being a patronizing weirdo. He's not "thinking like a ten year old." You're typing like an ignorant clown who isn't even aware of different grip techniques because you don't actually play video games yourself.

https://twitter.com/samred/status/158134...1_&ref_url=

Edited by sanwastick (01/15/23 10:04 PM)

sanwastick
MAME Fan
Send PM

#395552 - 01/15/23 09:50 PM

Retrobit is releasing one within the next month or so that's close to what you're asking for.

https://twitter.com/samred/status/158134...1_&ref_url=

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: sanwastick]
#395558 - 01/16/23 06:16 AM

If you need to rest the gamepad on your leg and use your fingers, that’s pretty damn impractical. You also lose access to the right shoulder buttons and/or trigger buttons and right thumb stick if present. You have to pick the controller up and grab it to use them. Completely changing hand position in the middle of a game isn’t going to be fun.

I already knew about the Retro-Bit Analog Saturn Pad. It doesn’t meed his requirements because the triggers are digital only (see this review – “The L2 & R2 triggers even have about 2mm to 3mm of travel before engaging in a satisfying click, however, it’s this travel that seems like a real missed opportunity, considering that these triggers are digital only (not analog)”). It also has smaller thumbsticks than most controllers, which won’t help with precision.

Also, I don’t trust Retro-Bit when it comes to firmware. Their existing Saturn Pad reports completely invalid capabilities when used in XInput mode, which MAME needs to work around.

A controller that tries to do everything is going to end up like a Swiss Army Knife. It’s handy to carry with you when you don’t know which tool you’ll need and you can’t carry a whole toolbox, but it’s nowhere near as good as a single-purpose tool for any of the tasks.

sanwastick
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#395559 - 01/16/23 11:18 AM

You don't need to rest it on your leg. They weigh nothing and can be held in the air with your left hand alone comfortably. He said the main requirement was the six face buttons.

Even the analog Saturn pad had 6 face buttons, analog triggers. All it was missing was a second analog stick. That pad was actually pretty comfortable.

What's actually impractical is buying twelve gamepads for different games when one can do a good job at all of them.

Edited by sanwastick (01/16/23 11:20 AM)

famawizard
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/04/04
Send PM

#395561 - 01/16/23 12:33 PM

I have many gamepads and, unfortunately, imho there is not a single perfect one.

I can advise two models:

1) xbox series x controller

pros:
good dpad
two analog sticks
cons:
only four face buttons

2) hori fighting commander octa

pros:
very good dpad
six face buttons
cons:
only one analog stick

Both, in my opinion, are very good for emulation and get very close to my arcade cabinets, with dpads much better than ds4 or ds5 ones.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#395565 - 01/17/23 08:37 AM

I (too) set out on a quest for a (near) perfect controller.

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...new=#Post392125

I've even made silicone molds to pour in (colored) epoxy resin for the 4 face buttons.

I debated on having either 4 fbs, or 6. I decided on 4. But (almost) all buttons will use the smaller (clicky) micro-switches. I'm wanting them (the 4) to lie flat instead of coming straight down. I'll need a small lever...

For the D-Pad - I'm wanting to make it based on an idea I've had from years back -- I even had the design sent off to a 3-D printing company. When I got it back it was too tight... And the amount of movement would only be appropriate for the soft/silicone contacts in traditional game-pads. I'll need something slightly larger.

It will have 2 analog sticks. I prefer the PS style of 2 sticks in the center as opposed to the XBox design.

The only thing I can't have is analog control of the L & R triggers.

I don't care that much about force-feedback.

I'm going to be housing/building it with plastic sheets I've bought from Amazon. So that'll involve some cutting, (hot) gluing (or maybe some super-gluing), and maybe bringing out the ol' heat-gun to bend/form some of the plastic.

I still have a ways to go on it - but it's going to be rather simple... Probably - mostly flat like the ol' Saturn 6-button - truly the BEST™ for fighting games!

Why? I got tired of gamepads wearing out. Either a silicone contact breaks and a button won't work, or a trigger being too sensitive or just not working correctly.

Seriously! Somebody should corner the market on providing replacement silicone contacts for gamepads. I have at least 5 other controllers where something (maybe just one thing) isn't right with them. So in a bin they go.

-----------

Edit: If I did/do go with 6 face buttons - that would of course mean I'd lose 2 top or trigger buttons. I'd make the Z button = L1, and C button = R1.

But given that I'd have wires I could simply switch around - the pad would essentially be (pretty much) modular.

Again. As much as I love the 6-button layout - the 4 might be more practical. But no telling what I might end up doing.

It would depend on how much room I can have for the small levers to activate the microswitches that are lying flat (instead of being up & down). I do this due to the wire connections. If I had them going down that would make the pad way too thick. Since I'm laying them on their side - I can have ~.5 inch thickness.

It will have to be thicker in places such as for the analog sticks... Maybe even the L & R triggers.

I'll have the next 2 days off. Maybe I can cram on this thing and get ever so closer to making it a reality!

Edited by Tomu Breidah (01/17/23 04:51 PM)

LEVEL-4

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

#395587 - 01/21/23 05:05 AM

Does anyone remember when 3DFX made a gamepad?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275485986448?ha...ABk9SR7j8zKS6YQ

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#395589 - 01/21/23 10:10 AM

I have a USB arcade stick (joystick, 6 main buttons for Street Fighter and the like and a couple other buttons for coin/start/etc) that I use for most arcade games and a transparent pink 3rd party xbox 360 controller that's perfect for emulating systems with analog controls like Nintendo 64.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: uVSthem]
#395615 - 01/26/23 03:45 AM Attachment: PXL_20230126_013548739.jpg 1158 KB (0 downloads)

> Does anyone remember when 3DFX made a gamepad?

Yes I have a few of the translucent blue version. Very nice. Heavy though.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: Andrew]
#395616 - 01/26/23 03:55 AM

Yes, that thing was stupid heavy for a gamepad. That was one of the reasons I replaced it with Playstation to USB adapter.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Best PC Gamepad? new [Re: uVSthem]
#395617 - 01/26/23 03:37 PM

IIRC they were clear and you could watch the weights for the force feedback spin around in the bottoms of them...
Too Cool!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#395653 - 02/09/23 09:10 AM

https://retrofighters.com/

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

King Kong Pro 2 is promising new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#395669 - 02/14/23 04:24 PM

I've actually only used it a little bit, and my only complaint actually derives from a positive design move. You see... I've been trying to learn speedrun stuff for metroid dread, and the Switch Pro controller's ZL and ZR buttons aren't analog.

The King Kong 2 Pro controller has analog triggers, which have been messing up my timing. But it's just a mind game. In reality, they work great, and I should probably be trying a racing game with this thing.

Other Pros:

Connectivity: iOS/Android, X-input, Direct input, Nintendo Switch
Analog sticks: Hall effect, so less possibility of drift.

So far, just one con: I don't seem to be able to connect while wired to the switch dock. I need to unplug it, connect wirelessly, then plug it back in. For most people, I suppose that won't matter because you'd generally only feel the need to plug it in, if playing a really long session and the battery is going to die.

For fighting games (like... arcade style) if I'm really serious about it, I use an X-arcade 2 player. More to the point, it was a HotRod SE, and I bought an X-arcade kit to upgrade it (Hotrod SE required a keyboard to be attached to it the whole time, iirc)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 465