View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/13/20
Send PM

Old site and emulator
#395112 - 11/06/22 03:22 PM

For no good reason I have been trying for days to remember the web site that I used to visit constantly in the early days of Mame for roms and samples. The background was green stars. I was hoping to maybe find it in the Wayback Machine.

The other thing I was trying to find was an old emulator that I thought was called Insert Coin. It made a coin sound either when booting or when games were launched.

Kind of ironic that I am feeling nostalgic for old emulation related sites about arcade machine emulation that I am nostalgic for.

It is like Back To the Future, we are now father away from the creation of Mame than Mame was from the heydays of the arcade. Same goes for Back To The Future, we are farther from the movies release than Marty went back.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Classic80sGMR]
#395113 - 11/06/22 08:30 PM

Was that the layout of Atmospheric Heights?
Others from that time period, Arcade at Home, Dave's Classics, Jose Q's, Retrogames, Mameworld. etc.

http://www.retrogames.com/retrolinks.html

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#395114 - 11/06/22 08:39 PM

Not sure on the timeframe but I do remember that as well, but not the exact names either. I also seem to remember a big debate over whether MAME should add the coin samples for when you hit 5 or 6 or not. It was decided no and someone was compiling their own with it included for awhile(where is Greg F when you need him?!?) or something to that effect...

Maybe this will give you something to dig around in the Wayback with/for or at least jog your memeory a bit more...

https://www.angelfire.com/az/simpstone/images/iea10548.htm

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: John IV]
#395115 - 11/06/22 10:28 PM

Atmospheric Heights, that was it! Did some searching and not a trace. Great link for some of the old sites. Damn, came across Monroe World. I had not heard the name Shane R Monroe in a long time. Retro radio was Podcasting before Podcasting was a thing. Thanks for the link.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#395116 - 11/07/22 12:17 PM Attachment: vector dream.png 710 KB (0 downloads)

> For no good reason I have been trying for days to remember the web site that I used
> to visit constantly in the early days of Mame for roms and samples. The background
> was green stars. I was hoping to maybe find it in the Wayback Machine.
>
> The other thing I was trying to find was an old emulator that I thought was called
> Insert Coin. It made a coin sound either when booting or when games were launched.
>
> Kind of ironic that I am feeling nostalgic for old emulation related sites about
> arcade machine emulation that I am nostalgic for.
>
> It is like Back To the Future, we are now father away from the creation of Mame than
> Mame was from the heydays of the arcade. Same goes for Back To The Future, we are
> farther from the movies release than Marty went back.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the help.

Only emulator I can think of with the coin sound is Vector Dream by Peter Hirschberg:

http://caesar.logiqx.com/php/emulator.php?id=vector_dream

Also the first emulator to use external artwork. And it still runs today, on Windows 11.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Mr. Do]
#395117 - 11/07/22 02:38 PM

Damn, this was a great emulator that I had completely forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder, I know what I am doing shortly….

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#395122 - 11/09/22 05:53 AM

> For no good reason I have been trying for days to remember the web site that I used
> to visit constantly in the early days of Mame for roms and samples. The background
> was green stars. I was hoping to maybe find it in the Wayback Machine.

mame.dk comes to mind when I hear early days of MAME and roms.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Andrew]
#395124 - 11/09/22 09:13 AM

> > For no good reason I have been trying for days to remember the web site that I used
> > to visit constantly in the early days of Mame for roms and samples. The background
> > was green stars. I was hoping to maybe find it in the Wayback Machine.
>
> mame.dk comes to mind when I hear early days of MAME and roms.

Same - I remember sitting in the university computer room and using the university's killah T-3 line to download as much as I could.

acdacd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/08
Send PM

#395127 - 11/09/22 07:51 PM

https://web.archive.org/web/19961219103533/http://www.xs4all.nl/~delite/

https://lngn.net/archaic-ruins/articles/atmosph.htm

old times...

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: acdacd]
#395131 - 11/10/22 03:07 PM

Great links, thank you. Wow Dave’s Video Game Classics, there is a site I have not thought about in many years.

Nice quote on the AH departure page:
“Nostalgia, even in the form we participated in, is a moment in time in which we remember the glorious things of our past. Make sure that nothing can change our perception of that past, and that we can raise a smile of the things of our youth.”

The shutdown page is from Feb 1998. Mame started in Feb 1997. I started following sometime in the Late Spring, early Summer of 1997. I would have bet I was going to AH for longer than a year, I guess not…

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: John IV]
#395136 - 11/11/22 03:14 PM

Dave's Classics! Holy shit, now that takes me back.

cyberdman

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#395160 - 11/17/22 08:46 PM

>>Same - I remember sitting in the university computer room and using the university's killah T-3 line to download as much as I could.

was that in the same facility as onyx's ftp server?

i learned everything i know from KC

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Reged: 04/11/12
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: cyberdman]
#395191 - 11/23/22 05:16 PM

> Dave's Classics!

Yeah, Just had a wave of nostalgia when I read that, I think that was my gateway to emulation. Only thing I can remember about it now is the color green.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Crazy Otto]
#395201 - 11/26/22 08:22 AM

Another one I remember with great fondness is, Jose's (I believe that was how it was spelled).

Used to wait at night for the next mame release then the next day at work, at lunch I'd be on the shop computer downloading all the rooms I could in 45 minutes then get home and finish downloading any that were left on the list.

Always kept a backup folder of the newest release and "sooner" roms on the shop computer just in case.

Only here to annoy...

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Renegade]
#395203 - 11/26/22 08:24 PM

> Another one I remember with great fondness is, Jose's (I believe that was how it was
> spelled).

-JoseQ's Emu Views

Add that to these sites...

-Dave's Video Game Classics (Prior: Dave's C64 Page)
-Archaic Ruins (Also: Damaged Cybernetics)
-Arcade@Home
-Retrogames
-Zophar's Domain
-Moose's Shareware and Emulation Valley (Don't think -that- version of Arcade Choplifter was ever found)

...Include regular visits to these more specific focused sites as well...

-tsr's NES archive
-SMS Power
-Atari 2600 Nexus (Current: Atari Age)
-TheRedEye
-CPS2 Shock
-OverClocked

...And it's the late 90's all over again.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Trebor]
#395204 - 11/27/22 12:14 AM

> -OverClocked
>
2001:

Quote:

expect updates sometime in the future (but don't hold your breath as it'll still be at a slow pace), and thanks for reading.

http://www.overclocked.org/

But https://ocremix.org/ is still operational.

Yeah, I was wondering what that was doing a couple weeks ago, had trouble remembering the name.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#395211 - 11/27/22 12:33 PM

> Dave's Classics!

Yeah, Just had a wave of nostalgia when I read that,

I forget if that was the name of that site that I had first noticed game screen image snaps and realized to myself that there might be stuff besides Digital Eclipse commercial products that were marketed in late 1990s

I actually started with first visiting Tim Eckel’s Arcade@Home website before venturing on from there and discovering other related sites such as “ I blame Lev” s Retrogames site.

> I think that was my gateway to emulation. Only thing I can remember about it now is the color green.

My cousin and my self eventually figured out how to run and use MAME back in spring 2000.
It was Jose Q’s Emuviews web site where my cousin and me had grabbed roms of the various Sega vicdual hardware games Carnival and Frogs and went from there.

Now if we can get Ramtek Clean Sweep running in MAME to help lure out the 60 s age range group of coinop gamers that recall those black and white games. Exidy Death Race would be a start, but probably too much emulation work there compared to Clean Sweep.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Renegade]
#395212 - 11/27/22 12:57 PM

> Another one I remember with great fondness is, Jose's (I believe that was how it was spelled).

Jose Q’s. was the place back then in 2000 for both myself and my cousin. It was there that
my cousin and myself learned how to run and use MAME with Sega Carnival and Gremlins Frogs.

We were happy campers at the time, but didn’t realize Nicola Samoria’s plan was having to stick around until the analog audio for those games would be emulated. I told that same message to Pete / Kazzy about his game Sega Borderline back at the 2006 Fullerton, CA SoCal MAME meet. Pete finally got his wish with Borderline audio being done.

I would also go to Emuviews to read any weekly ‘Rumormill’ updates that were posted usually on Thursday nights.

Emuviews was also where I had first encountered the crazy posts from Dexter. No one can ever top Dexter’s
posts. Twisty combined almost all that he could gather of Dexters posts.

> Used to wait at night for the next mame release then the next day at work

With me joining in on emulation in Spring 2000, I had already missed a lot of the early action, but I am glad to have still been able to see what has been accomplished by this time. For my generation of late 60s and early 1970s still a ways to go, but fortunate to see some stuff finally happen such as Mattel led games emulation from earlier this year.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: Trebor]
#395213 - 11/27/22 01:04 PM

> -Moose's Shareware and Emulation Valley (Don't think -that- version of Arcade Choplifter was ever found)

I and Stiletto did give a try over the couple years. Moose does have a couple options, but it would be specific searches in his area ( Australia New Zealand) region. What Moose might be trying to find is some Kyle Hodgetts arcade coinop hack type product which Stiletto had brought up that possibility.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: gregf]
#395214 - 11/27/22 04:32 PM

I've given up on my dream of ever seeing Death Race emulated on a PC. Moore's law hasn't really been helping the way I thought it would 20 years ago. Just for fun I tried doing Tank, I think it was, in VB6. I knew it wouldn't work, but just wanted to see what the structure of the code would look like. It just drew the playfield, but you could see the electron beam moving slowly across the screen. I thought with PC speeds doubling every year that it wouldn't be long.

I do still have a Death Race out in the garage where it has been sitting waiting for me to fix it all this time. Actually, I guess it's been like 4 different garages now. I really think this is the year though. When I fix it, I'm going to mod it for color. Maybe add a switch so you can select BW/Color.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#395218 - 11/28/22 09:03 AM

>I've given up on my dream of ever seeing Death Race emulated on a PC. Moore's law hasn't really been
>helping the way I thought it would 20 years ago. Just for fun I tried doing Tank, I think it was, in VB6. I knew it
>wouldn't work, but just wanted to see what the structure of the code would look like. It just drew the playfield,
>but you could see the electron beam moving slowly across the screen. I thought with PC speeds doubling every
> year that it wouldn't be long.

I’d like to believe Death Race could be possible with it being a single pcb compared to multiple pcb game like Kee games Tank since that uses one digital pcb and one analog pcb which should make that slower, even though Death Race components probably also has some challenges too.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/exidy/exidyttl.cpp

Exidy Death Race 1976

Death Race proms are documented at this time along with f205v ‘s. additional proms for bootleg clone of Death Race called Robot Hunting. I still wish another Death Race set of proms can be dumped and be compared to be certain the rom images are certain. The Death Race roms came from a pcb dumped in late 1990s which I still have suspicions imo. I trust f205v’s work with Robot Hunting pcb.

>I do still have a Death Race out in the garage where it has been sitting waiting for me to fix it all this time.
>Actually, I guess it's been like 4 different garages now. I really think this is the year though. When I fix it, I'm
>going to mod it for color. Maybe add a switch so you can select BW/Color.

Good luck with that when able to work on that later.

Crazy Otto
Code Monkey
Send PM

Re: Old site and emulator new [Re: gregf]
#395235 - 11/30/22 09:42 PM

I have Death Race and Destruction Derby boards, when I get to this project I will figure out a way to dump them both. IIRC the boards were identical except for DR having an extra daughterboard that does the scream.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 549