MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Any way to have separate "UI Cancel" and "Exit" functionality
#394991 - 10/20/22 08:37 PM

Hello.

I'm wondering if there is a clever way to have use an input to move back through menus but not exit the emulator, then have Esc continue to be an exit key.

The reason is I would like to assign this function to a gameplay key for ease of navigation, but it can't exit the emulator, because well, it will close MAME when I try to use it for gameplay :-)

Edited by "The Manuel" (10/20/22 08:37 PM)

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: Any way to have separate "UI Cancel" and "Exit" functionality new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#394998 - 10/21/22 04:26 PM

> Hello.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a clever way to have use an input to move back through
> menus but not exit the emulator, then have Esc continue to be an exit key.
>
> The reason is I would like to assign this function to a gameplay key for ease of
> navigation, but it can't exit the emulator, because well, it will close MAME when I
> try to use it for gameplay :-)

This may or may not be what you are looking for, but the closest thing I can think of is using the 'scroll lock' key, with which you can toggle the ability on/off to make certain keys (like TAB or ESC) go to the emulated machine instead of the mame emulator itself.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Any way to have separate "UI Cancel" and "Exit" functionality new [Re: mhoes]
#395008 - 10/22/22 02:47 PM

Thanks for the idea, but the UI Toggle key doesn't do anything when I enable or disable it. Maybe it only works for games that have a keyboard.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: Any way to have separate "UI Cancel" and "Exit" functionality new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#395010 - 10/22/22 04:52 PM

>
> Maybe it only works for games that have a keyboard.
>
Yes, that makes sense. Sorry, but I cant think of anything else that might get you what you want.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#395016 - 10/23/22 06:36 AM Attachment: UI_Menu.png 284 KB (0 downloads)

2 things come to mind from what you said:

You can go to:
Input Settings -> Input Assignments(General) -> User Interface
Then add your key to the UI Cancel(back) binding along with ESC(or you can clear it out and re-assign ESC to whatever you want it to do). Now both keys will back out of the menus, but both will exit from the emulator also.

To do what I think you really want, I think you'd essentially have to add a command into MAME's UI itself, use the already existing 1 for in-game menus only and then add an additional one for emu exit only(or the other way round). That might be a lil bit of work tho. I think Vas has done a bit of work on UI improvments in the last few versions, I'd bet that he'd be able to tell you right off what it would entail. Maybe he or another dev with more insight into the UI will chime in with an idea for you.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Any way to have separate "UI Cancel" and "Exit" functionality new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#395026 - 10/25/22 03:10 AM

Oohh, you mean changing the code itself.
I’m hosed if that’s the only way

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#395027 - 10/25/22 05:16 AM

One other thing you can try, maybe this would work for you...
Add this:

mame.exe gamename -confirm_quit

If you're hitting ESC too many times, this will pause your game and stop you from exiting the emulation. It'll pause your game and ask you to hit "Enter" to quit or if you hit ESC again it goes right back to the game.

Maybe not exactly what you wanted but maybe it helps a bit?

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 292 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 308