MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaveC1964
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/22
Send PM

Getting older MAME to hide screen effects for vector games?
#394650 - 08/09/22 03:38 AM

I am using an older MAME and using screen effects (.png that overlays on the game screen). Why am I using an older version and not using the shaders? It is because I am running this in a mini bar top and I only had room for a lower spec single board PC. I wanted the frame rate to be playable and it is smooth the way I have it. It doesn't have the horsepower for the newest MAME with the shaders.

I have a screen effect .png that simulates scanlines in raster games in MAME .117. When I load vector games that effect still shows up as scanlines and ruins it. How do I set it to automatically shut off the effect when a vector game is loaded or is that not possible? I have the MAME.ini with the effect on, and a vector.ini shows effect as none but it still shows it anyway. Any ideas? Is this a bug in this MAME version or am I doing something wrong? Should I do something different to hide screen effects for vector games but show for raster?

Edited by DaveC1964 (08/09/22 03:39 AM)

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Getting older MAME to hide screen effects for vector games? new [Re: DaveC1964]
#394653 - 08/09/22 12:45 PM

It looks like you have a .ini file in use, that overrides mame.ini and vector.ini files.
Mind you, that there is a hierarchy for .ini files and often people think that the mame.ini represents the highest priority (itīs the lowest).

What version of MAME is actually used? It is not clear from your post. Where is your focus on? Are you more interested in the vector games or the raster games or both?

DaveC1964
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/22
Send PM

Re: Getting older MAME to hide screen effects for vector games? new [Re: uman]
#394657 - 08/10/22 01:58 AM

> It looks like you have a .ini file in use, that overrides mame.ini and vector.ini
> files.
> Mind you, that there is a hierarchy for .ini files and often people think that the
> mame.ini represents the highest priority (itīs the lowest).
>
> What version of MAME is actually used? It is not clear from your post. Where is your
> focus on? Are you more interested in the vector games or the raster games or both?

I am using MAME .117 (2007 release). I have the screen effect set to NONE in the vector.ini, and the screen effect set to the file name of the scan line effect .PNG in MAME.INI. So it should in theory use the NONE in the vector.ini when running a vector game right? It doesn't, it always uses the effect that MAME.ini calls up.

I mostly use raster games as there are more of them but would still like to have the vector games look as they should.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Getting older MAME to hide screen effects for vector games? new [Re: DaveC1964]
#394658 - 08/10/22 05:25 AM

> > It looks like you have a .ini file in use, that overrides mame.ini and vector.ini
> > files.
> > Mind you, that there is a hierarchy for .ini files and often people think that the
> > mame.ini represents the highest priority (itīs the lowest).
> >
> > What version of MAME is actually used? It is not clear from your post. Where is
> your
> > focus on? Are you more interested in the vector games or the raster games or both?
>
> I am using MAME .117 (2007 release). I have the screen effect set to NONE in the
> vector.ini, and the screen effect set to the file name of the scan line effect .PNG
> in MAME.INI. So it should in theory use the NONE in the vector.ini when running a
> vector game right? It doesn't, it always uses the effect that MAME.ini calls up.
>
> I mostly use raster games as there are more of them but would still like to have the
> vector games look as they should.

Is there a later version that will run on your system? I'm fairly sure such effects are still possible via HLSL or the like. Even a Pentium 4 with Windows XP can run 0.179 (2016) straight out of the box.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 290