MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

A Question of Character: Mario (Donkey Kong)
#394433 - 07/18/22 02:18 AM

LEVEL-4

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

Re: A Question of Character: Mario (Donkey Kong) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#394434 - 07/18/22 11:38 PM

Is Mario a fcnking carpenter, plumber or both? Seems this fcnk can't make up his mind...

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: A Question of Character: Mario (Donkey Kong) new [Re: Dreamstate]
#394435 - 07/19/22 07:03 AM

> Is Mario a fcnking carpenter, plumber or both? Seems this fcnk can't make up his
> mind...

Edit: Oh! You're talking about Mario not being able to make up his mind. I thought you were saying the person/s making the video couldn't make up their mind.

Now Vas's reply is pointless.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/20/22 03:21 PM)

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#394438 - 07/20/22 07:35 AM

> Make up his mind? I don't recall him (or they?) saying anything about him being a
> plumber, regardless of that being the popular opinion.

You obviously haven’t been paying attention. There are lots of references to Mario being a plumber in official Nintendo material.

There are several references to it in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. For example when you find Luigi’s wish on a star, it’s “I wanna be a great plumber like my brother Mario.” Also, when Garro disguises Mario as a statue, he calls it “A Plumber’s Lament” and says it symbolises the struggle of the working class.

He took a break from being a plumber in his official Japanese-language profile starting in late 2017: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/09/mario-is-officially-no-longer-a-plumber/

However, his profile was updated just six months later to state his occupation is plumber: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/03/mario-is-officially-a-plumber-again/

There are more nuggets in this 2010 interview with Miyamoto: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/11/qa-mario-creator-shigeru-miyamoto/1

• “We created the game design first and then we put the characters in to fit that. With Donkey Kong, we have this gorilla who grabs this gal and runs away with her and you have to go chase the gorilla down to save the lady. And the game’s stage was a construction site, so we made him into basically a carpenter.”
  • “With Mario Bros., we brought in Luigi and a lot of the game was played underground so we made him to fit that setting and, we decided he could be a plumber. The scenario dictates his role.”
  • “Now with Mario, I think with Mario Bros. we had a setting of course that was underground, so I just decided Mario is a plumber. Let’s put him in New York and he can be Italian. There was really no other deep thought other than that.”

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

Re: A Question of Character: Mario (Donkey Kong) new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#394441 - 07/20/22 10:13 PM

wow a novel just for me. I'll tackle the rest later. First sentence then... no. I'm well aware of Mario just being labeled a plumber. I'm saying the fcnk narrating the video can't make up his mind.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#394481 - 07/24/22 10:03 AM

> wow a novel just for me. I'll tackle the rest later. First sentence then... no. I'm
> well aware of Mario just being labeled a plumber. I'm saying the fcnk narrating the
> video can't make up his mind.

Ah! This is what I thought in the first place.

Yeah. Mario is presently known to be a plumber. The video is about DK and Mario at the time only had the Carpenter label. His delving into plumbing hadn't been established yet until Mario Bros.

Had the video been about Mario Bros then the narrator would've said (factually for that game) that Mario was a plumber.

But as long as we're splitting hairs here - they also said he was a "tradesman". And that can cover a multitude of (manual labored) professions. If one wants to include plumbing in that area of expertise then that's their choice. Doesn't really make any difference.

---

Edit: This just gave me a flashback to the topics arguing about flying cars vs roadable aircraft.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/24/22 10:05 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#394582 - 08/05/22 10:37 AM Attachment: itsamemarco.jpg 67 KB (0 downloads)

> Is Mario a fcnking carpenter, plumber or both? Seems this fcnk can't make up his
> mind...

...and his brother Linguini.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

LEVEL-4

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

#394588 - 08/05/22 02:26 PM

I finally watched that. Wow, that was extremely annoying. I wish I could have that 5 minutes back.

cyberdman

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

5 minutes... new [Re: cyberdman]
#394591 - 08/05/22 04:58 PM

of madness!

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 457