MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/19
Send PM

Is it possible for me to view tiles from a game not yet emulated in MAME?
#393774 - 04/13/22 09:55 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in (wasn't sure weather to post this here or the Loony Bin).

I want to view the tiles from Freedom Fighter, a currently un-emulated LD game, so I can see the PCB overlaid sprites in greater detail. The version I'm trying to do it with is Star Rider-based, so correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume the game runs in 292x240. Other than MAME by pressing F4 on a supported game, all I could find for viewing arcade game tiles were some very old DOS utilities that don't seem to have support for Williams hardware. Would there be any way I could achieve this or am I out of luck?

amoroboshi116
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/19
Send PM

Re: Is it possible for me to view tiles from a game not yet emulated in MAME? new [Re: amoroboshi116]
#393778 - 04/14/22 07:24 AM

I was actually partly successful by using a program called Nana that scans for images inside files.

The results are a bit corrupted and the palette is wrong. There's a few different options, but none of them look quite right. At least the images are recognizable, though. "Raw:4bpp lo" would have looked the best, but the sprites overlap on top of each other for some reason.

Some of these objects are a mystery to me, I've never seen them in any of the available gameplay footage.

Edit: I also managed to get some very good results with the dedicated version. The tricky part with that one is that each 64k bank of data in that version is actually interlaced between two ROMs. I ripped the images with Nana then did some image editing to get the palette correct and put the pieces together.

Edited by amoroboshi116 (04/14/22 08:28 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 333