View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Runamukk
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/22
Send PM

Mame 241 shader questions
#393594 - 03/28/22 04:43 AM

I have tried using hlsl and dont really like it but found that the geome shader when I changed a couple settings looks perfect to me. Is there a way I can set it to save my settings...cant seem to find a way to make this work and dont see anything to change within my ini file.

Also, I went to my ini file and changed my pause menu brightness from .65 to 1.0 but when I open mame and hit pause it still dims and doesnt seem to accept my setting. Any reason why? Also, I deleted all the presets in my ini folder and my ini file is in my mame root...could this have something to do with this? Was this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Runamukk]
#393598 - 03/28/22 05:16 PM

Mame Devs removed the ability to save per game config files as regards to shader settings a long time ago and have never seen fit to put the feature back in.

Wankers.

If you want to do it now you need to make the adjustments whilst in game and note them down and create one manually.

..Or make adjustments to the default ini files for the shader your using in the BGFX (assuming your using the BGFX renderer) folder, inside the MAME directory.

Look for the 'Chains' folder and in there you'll find the individual files, such as 'CRT-Geom' open it up with a text editor and change the default values to the ones you copied down whilst in game and save.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Ziggy100]
#393600 - 03/28/22 09:52 PM

> Mame Devs removed the ability to save per game config files as regards to shader
> settings a long time ago and have never seen fit to put the feature back in.
>
> Wankers.

As I understand the situation, it may be more of a logistical issue than the oft accused desire to give end users a hard time. There are few pieces of software that has such a comprehensive configuration system to control so much as MAME does. Its complexity also tends to have an inverse effect whereas some new implementations can cause breakage of normal configurations. I do believe that eventually we'll have some sort of options saving working in concert with other configuration saving - it isn't as simple as turning on a switch. I also don't believe the expressed mindset does anything to help the situation in the end, either.

Runamukk
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/22
Send PM

#393601 - 03/29/22 04:21 AM

Thank you so much Ziggy...this worked awesome and I got it worked out with your help. My only issue is every time I launch a game I have to open up my slider controls to select crt geom now.

Is there anything in the root ini or any other ini for me to have it default to this when I launch any game? I basically just want these settings automatically applied when I launch a game without having to open up my slider controls.

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Runamukk]
#393602 - 03/29/22 05:48 AM

Set your bgfx_screen_chains to crt-geom in mame.ini.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Tafoid]
#393603 - 03/29/22 08:00 AM

> > Mame Devs removed the ability to save per game config files as regards to shader
> > settings a long time ago and have never seen fit to put the feature back in.
> >
> > Wankers.
>
> As I understand the situation, it may be more of a logistical issue than the oft
> accused desire to give end users a hard time. There are few pieces of software that
> has such a comprehensive configuration system to control so much as MAME does. Its
> complexity also tends to have an inverse effect whereas some new implementations can
> cause breakage of normal configurations. I do believe that eventually we'll have some
> sort of options saving working in concert with other configuration saving - it isn't
> as simple as turning on a switch. I also don't believe the expressed mindset does
> anything to help the situation in the end, either.

The feature has been missing so long now that I have zero expectations it will ever be reinstated, despite numerous polite requests on here over the years for it to be acted upon.

So I therefore have no hesitation whatsoever in having the 'expressed mindset' when it comes to the subject anymore because it will make zero difference.

And you're wrong, some Mame Devs over the years have taken great delight in making things harder for the end user for no other reason than they can.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#393604 - 03/29/22 09:25 AM

> The feature has been missing so long now that I have zero expectations it will ever
> be reinstated, despite numerous polite requests on here over the years for it to be
> acted upon.
>
> So I therefore have no hesitation whatsoever in having the 'expressed mindset' when
> it comes to the subject anymore because it will make zero difference.
>
> And you're wrong, some Mame Devs over the years have taken great delight in making
> things harder for the end user for no other reason than they can.

Well, enhanced configuration management is now one feature I have less motivation to work on. I’ll go and work on Lua scripting, artwork, software list syntax, or something instead.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#393606 - 03/29/22 10:22 AM

Quote:

Well, enhanced configuration management is now one feature I have less motivation to work on. I’ll go and work on Lua scripting, artwork, software list syntax, or something instead.

Well, there you go.

The somewhat petty mindset of your average Mame Dev for all to see.

..and as for you 'MooglyGuy' posting a message telling someone to go kill themselves, shows once again what a Grade A, Basement dwelling, Incel cunt you are, and always have been on here.

Edited by Ziggy100 (03/29/22 11:44 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#393610 - 03/29/22 12:48 PM

> Well, there you go.
>
> The somewhat petty mindset of your average Mame Dev for all to see.

You really don’t get it, do you? There are an endless list of things in MAME that could be improved – my TODO list is always going to be way too long, so I need to prioritise. It generally feels better to work on stuff that people actually appreciate.

I’ve already made a lot of improvements to MAME’s user experience, whether you’ve noticed or not. Examples include all the stuff with input configuration UI, not losing input config when your controllers are unplugged, not losing input config when you switch out a slot card, lots of fixes to annoyances with the menus, making the system and software selection menus more responsive, the ongoing work of supporting localisation, and so on.

Now some features are obviously appreciated by certain segments of the community. I got a very positive response from the Chinese emulation community for localised built-in input and view names, localised system names, and the input macro plugin. The Japanese community seemed to appreciate localised system names, too. The TAS and bot community seem to be reasonably happy with the direction the Lua scripting API is taking. Some of recent additions and changes to Lua scripting allow faster turnaround for driver development. Changes to machine configuration syntax took a while to get to the point where it is now, and it took some people a while to adapt, but no-one would want to go back now.

However, for whatever reason, certain features seem to attract the attention of the most entitled, ungrateful, obnoxious users. Video post-processing is one of them. In my experience, even if you do exactly what these kinds of people say they want, they never show any appreciation. They just start whining obnoxiously about something else. It’s better for my mental health to work on things that people appreciate than to take on the impossible task of trying to make obnoxious whiners like you happy.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#393611 - 03/29/22 01:40 PM

Dude, really ... just STFU already. Nobody gives a rat's ass what you think. Seriously, do you think that in blasting the MAMEDEVs, something good was going to happen? You really do sound like a horse's ass.

MooglyGuy is just fine and can be a wealth of information if you're not a flaming a-hole. Oftentimes he does take the time to explain the intricate workings of MAME. He only reacts that way when some dope that has no clue what they are talking about, posts stupid comments and blasts the MAMEDEVS.

There's an old poker saying that fits quite well with you: if you look around the table and can't see who the fool is ...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Jason]
#393612 - 03/29/22 02:01 PM

> Dude, really ... just STFU already. Nobody gives a rat's ass what you think.
> Seriously, do you think that in blasting the MAMEDEVs, something good was going to
> happen? You really do sound like a horse's ass.
>
> MooglyGuy is just fine and can be a wealth of information if you're not a flaming
> a-hole. Oftentimes he does take the time to explain the intricate workings of MAME.
> He only reacts that way when some dope that has no clue what they are talking about,
> posts stupid comments and blasts the MAMEDEVS.
>
> There's an old poker saying that fits quite well with you: if you look around the
> table and can't see who the fool is ...

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I know I haven't always been the sort of person I want to be, but I've been working on it.

Meanwhile this Ziggy100 fellow has pretty much done his best to do nothing but shit on MAME, shit on its developers, and everything that both represent since registering here all the way back in 2008. He disingenuously claims to somehow love MAME, but he seems to love it about as much as a jilted husband who beats his wife.

A few years back I would have said that on any comptently-moderated forum he'd have been out on his ass after just a few years of constantly shitting on the project that the forums are ostensibly named after and that he dishonestly claims to like, but nowadays I'm not so sure. Lately there's been an uptick all across the Internet of this bullshit idea of "radical centrism" among moderators, that somehow the concept of everyone being entitled to their own idiot opinion is exactly the same thing as everyone being entitled to a soapbox from which to Karen-screech their idiot opinion, and not only that, that everyone should be forced to listen to them squealing out their idiot opinion like a rapacious swamp sow, because in their head they're a very important person, rather than the reality of being a very impotent person.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#393613 - 03/29/22 02:07 PM

> Meanwhile this Ziggy100 fellow has pretty much done his best to do nothing but shit
> on MAME, shit on its developers, and everything that both represent since registering
> here all the way back in 2008. He disingenuously claims to somehow love MAME, but he
> seems to love it about as much as a jilted husband who beats his wife.
>
> A few years back I would have said that on any comptently-moderated forum he'd have
> been out on his ass after just a few years of constantly shitting on the project that
> the forums are ostensibly named after and that he dishonestly claims to like, but
> nowadays I'm not so sure. Lately there's been an uptick all across the Internet of
> this bullshit idea of "radical centrism" among moderators, that somehow the concept
> of everyone being entitled to their own idiot opinion is exactly the same thing as
> everyone being entitled to a soapbox from which to Karen-screech their idiot opinion,
> and not only that, that everyone should be forced to listen to them squealing out
> their idiot opinion like a rapacious swamp sow, because in their head they're a very
> important person, rather than the reality of being a very impotent person.

..but telling people on a forum to go kill themselves (which I see has now been deleted, you little fucking coward) is somehow more acceptable.

Whatever.

Edited by Ziggy100 (03/29/22 02:13 PM)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Mame 241 shader questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#393617 - 03/29/22 11:22 PM

Very well said

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#393649 - 04/01/22 03:24 PM

> And you're wrong, some Mame Devs over the years have taken great delight in making
> things harder for the end user for no other reason than they can.

[citation needed]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 463