Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Bradley Trainer
#392830 - 12/25/21 04:24 AM

TrevEB, is this what you had in mind?

This "game" is fucked! Two buttons that don't do anything at all, a tank that can't be driven in any direction, enemies that don't shoot at you...

Anyway, I wasn't sure what to do with the range dial on this, but it's working for now. The range readout onscreen doesn't correspond to the dial in any way I can discern, so I just went with the usual 16-direction degrees. If anyone can vouch for the dial's accuracy, I can try to line it up to the onscreen numbers in some way, but this dial looks to me like it doesn't "click" into positions.

After enough tries I finally did blow up a tank, but the chopper seems invulnerable.

Edited by Nightvoice (01/08/22 08:36 PM)

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Bradley Trainer new [Re: Nightvoice]
#392838 - 12/25/21 04:33 PM

> This "game" is fucked! Two buttons that don't do anything at all, a tank that can't
> be driven in any direction, enemies that don't shoot at you...

It’s not really a game as such, it was used as a recruitment tool for the US army. They had them as a novelty at recruitment centres and took them to recruitment events.

It really just teaches you to recognise friend or foe by silhouette, select appropriate ammunition, and dial in the range. You can destroy the helicopter using a TOW missile, but remember it’s manually guided, so you need to keep the crosshairs on the target until it hits.

If you want an actual game with the tank periscope style view and vector graphics, just play Battlezone.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#392843 - 12/26/21 12:30 AM

> TrevEB, is this what you had in mind?
>
> This "game" is fucked! Two buttons that don't do anything at all, a tank that can't
> be driven in any direction, enemies that don't shoot at you...
>
> Anyway, I wasn't sure what to do with the range dial on this, but it's working for
> now. The range readout onscreen doesn't correspond to the dial in any way I can
> discern, so I just went with the usual 16-direction degrees. If anyone can vouch for
> the dial's accuracy, I can try to line it up to the onscreen numbers in some way, but
> this dial looks to me like it doesn't "click" into positions.
>
> After enough tries I finally did blow up a tank, but the chopper seems invulnerable.

Very cool... can you try uploading again though... looks like the attachment failed.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bradley Trainer new [Re: Mr. Do]
#392876 - 12/30/21 04:58 AM

Re-uploaded.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

#393005 - 01/08/22 08:15 AM

Could you re upload?
I missed your post.
I was one of those vast number of people trapped in Lake Tahoe over Christmas.
I mean yeah it was beautiful and all but after digging out the hot tub and driveway 5 times, I was done.

I’m pretty sure we managed to hit the copter with a tow missile
The dial definitely is integral with targeting.
The idea is to target and hit the enemy. Its true there is no attack from the enemy.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bradley Trainer new [Re: TrevEB]
#393007 - 01/08/22 11:29 AM Attachment: bradley.zip 4595 KB (9 downloads)

Take #3

If this doesn't work, it's uploaded to my sig.

----------------------

TrevEB
Send PM

#393014 - 01/10/22 12:46 AM Attachment: 4B9B46AB-3C72-4125-ADEF-708E8BEBE1A4.jpeg 130 KB (4 downloads)

This is looking great as usual Nightvoice.
This effort helps a lot in making the game playable

The spindial has a 270 degree range of spin. It does not “click”
I have posted a video of the dial in action to the google images folder for you.

Sorry kids, I cannot post the video here. I keep getting 404 Error.

The size of the outlined box where these two dials are is 4 1/2” wide by 5 1/8” tall.
The spin dial itself is 7/8” wide.
I think these items should be scaled up a bit more to make it easier to read from what you have now. I am viewing this on a 32” widescreen monitor.

On the real machine, the collection of volcano buttons on the right do not light up when pressed to activate the different kinds and speed of artillery. (Just as you have it)
I think it would be better if they did light up if possible to implement.
This would provide the player with a graphic representation of what artillery is currently selected.

The rest if really artistic and up to you. Perhaps the side art of the cabinet to be incorporated into the blank areas of the side bars, actual or elements of the art.

I forget what options are available for Battlezone. If we have an option to see the front shroud and instruction card below the viewer, then the bradley trainer logo has a place to go. The game is of course unplayable that way so its just an option.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393018 - 01/10/22 01:16 AM Attachment: bzone.png 533 KB (0 downloads)

I'm currently using a view for Battlezone I call Full_Cabinet_With_Scope as shown below (the magnification in the periscope can be turned off and the sticks are animated), which doesn't work with D3D (you get a black screen) but does work with all the other modes. I was considering making something similar for Bradley... What I'm lacking for that is the bezel/backdrop for Bradley or whatever its near equivalent was.

As far as the LED volcano buttons, it's easy enough to make them light up WHEN PRESSED, but they won't stay that way unless the driver's written to do that, so you'd have to bug the devs about that. I'll set the LEDs up and also make it so the dial is only 270 degrees or roughly so. Will also enlarge the dial section for you.

Attachment

----------------------

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

#393020 - 01/10/22 02:17 AM

Looks pretty good. Now all that's left is to rotate that cp 60, 70 degrees to a proper perspective.

Edited by Dreamstate (01/10/22 02:20 AM)

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bradley Trainer new [Re: Dreamstate]
#393021 - 01/10/22 02:41 AM

If someone has the 3D modeling skills to do that, more power to 'em.

----------------------

TrevEB
Send PM

#393023 - 01/10/22 09:00 AM Attachment: CF5EEB71-1A36-4864-8A31-5A93A6235AFA.jpeg 1171 KB (0 downloads)

Sadly Atari did not include a backdrop shroud or even the green gel over the vector monitor. However there is not reason not to embellish on the original design as long as its an option. How cool it would be if someone here had actually used the trainer back in the day.

Finding pics of the turret interior, one could come up with a new shroud design similar to battlezone. I’d definitly stick with a green gel with red above for the scoring. Perhaps the angle thing below the gaming area should also be in red.

You can see the similarities of the control yoke to what Atari came up with.
This of course was refined into what became the Star Wars Yoke.

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393024 - 01/10/22 04:31 PM Attachment: bradley.png 294 KB (0 downloads)

Here's what I have so far. Does this work?

The volcanos light when pressed, and if you need a bigger screen you can toggle the marquee off (or any other element).

As far as the dial, the driver only sees 16 positions whereas the game screen indicates about 40 (6 to 50 with a few skipped in between), so the animation isn't totally fluid and doesn't match. I did limit it to 270 per your request. It never goes to zero because I guess the programmers thought shooting yourself was impractical.

I honestly don't know what to do to make this file look "good", but I made a basic backdrop in army green for it.

If this look works for you, I'll upload it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Nightvoice (01/10/22 04:38 PM)

----------------------

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#393025 - 01/10/22 04:39 PM

> I'm currently using a view for Battlezone I call Full_Cabinet_With_Scope as shown
> below (the magnification in the periscope can be turned off and the sticks are
> animated), which doesn't work with D3D (you get a black screen) but does work with
> all the other modes. I was considering making something similar for Bradley... What
> I'm lacking for that is the bezel/backdrop for Bradley or whatever its near
> equivalent was.
>
> As far as the LED volcano buttons, it's easy enough to make them light up WHEN
> PRESSED, but they won't stay that way unless the driver's written to do that, so
> you'd have to bug the devs about that. I'll set the LEDs up and also make it so the
> dial is only 270 degrees or roughly so. Will also enlarge the dial section for you.

Two working screens? One on top the other. Be so cool.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393038 - 01/11/22 07:59 PM Attachment: bradley.png 267 KB (0 downloads)

Yes? No? Fuck off and die?

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#393041 - 01/11/22 09:10 PM Attachment: BRADLYE TRAINER MARUP.JPG 661 KB (1 downloads)

Hi Nightvoice,

Sorry, but I do work for the man during the weekdays.
Please don't FOAD. We need you.
Please upload your new version to the server.
bradley-a.zip
so that I can give it a try. The screenshot looks good.

The Bradley trainer PATCH was probably slapped on at the army base. It should go on the marquee, perhaps as an option on/off.

The 5 point star should be created and as noted earlier it says Bradley Trainer in the center.
The recreated artwork should be "as it was"
like your marquee.
Not the faded out image it is today.
Optional to do the "Army Battlezone" version as well
with matching marquee.

The TOW Launcher up/dn switch does not appear to be hooked up. I know, not your problem. I'm just mentioning it.
It would be bad to fire a tow missile while the launching rig is inside your Bradley fighting vehicle.
Could really ruin your day.

TrevEB

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#393044 - 01/11/22 09:31 PM

This side by side setup is cool!
Probably not an available option in Mame yet but;
Imagine a keyboard press to switch between 2 views.
Side by side
periscope view.
That would be sweet!

one can dream.

TrevEB

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393047 - 01/11/22 11:21 PM Attachment: bradley_rev_2.png 361 KB (1 downloads)

This is the best I can do given the available images for now. If someone gets a better photo of the star sticker with the text I can replicate that. I can't animate the yoke for the same reason I can't do it for Star Wars: the axes are split.

I can't make it so you can switch between views with one key but I did make the scope view toggleable in full_cabinet_and_scope view. Also can't do anything about the launcher switch because it's not hooked up in MAME yet but the script is there.

The sticker's on the marquee now, such as it is.

Uploaded to Google (I can't even remember how to access the server).

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Nightvoice (01/12/22 06:22 AM)

TrevEB
Send PM

#393055 - 01/12/22 05:11 PM Attachment: 37180578-1620-414C-ABDD-4C05E4085349.jpeg 423 KB (0 downloads)

Dude!
That is excellent!
Looks spot on to me. Well done!

Note: the attached photo has been heavily altered to force the faded text to appear.

Are you able to see the text I am talking about?
This shows up well on my ipad but is really hard to read on my monitor.
Anyway, that font looks common and the atari logo below could be copied from another bezel.

Lets use the same green & red gel from battlezone.
Only suggested change would be to place a red gel over the (angle and text) that is below and centered.
I noticed in game that when a weapon is selected, the text for that weapon brightens.

Did you get my email?
I sent a better picture of the sticker on the marquee

TrevEB

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393057 - 01/12/22 08:06 PM Attachment: bradley.png 389 KB (1 downloads)

? Closest font I could find.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

TrevEB
Send PM

#393058 - 01/12/22 09:07 PM Attachment: 0A4D547F-B22C-41ED-AADE-5EAA70F2D191.jpeg 1312 KB (0 downloads)

Spot On!
New sticker looks great too.
What do you think? This could be a wrap or you can keep adjusting or just take a break.

See the side by side comparison. Looks damn good right?

“TRAINER” should be shifted just a bit to the right.

The Marquee on the original is zoomed in, enlarged.
See how the text is taller, the tank has 4 dots on top instead of 6
There is a bit less color on the tank.

Your current Marquee is very close to the “Army Battlezone” version. The text and starry background is a bit more similar to Battlezone proper.

Attachment

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393059 - 01/12/22 11:39 PM

Looks to me like all you have to do is crop the marquee a bit on all sides and it'll match up. Drop this file into your zip.

Whoops. File is too big, I guess. I put it in the same directory as the artwork zip under bradley.png.

Edited by Nightvoice (01/12/22 11:41 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 644