MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

Will the new Intel CPU be good due to the P cores and the E cores ?
#392462 - 11/06/21 03:57 AM

So I'd like to upgrade my PC to the new Intel CPU that just out and I'm still using WIN 10 and will be for a while. The reviews say that the single core is really great. So my question is if I'm running Mame do you think there might be a problem where Windows makes Mame use the E cores instead of the P cores ? I'm wondering if that could be a problem.

kirby
Apple MacBook Pro M1 & Nintendo addict
Reged: 11/03/21
Loc: Spain
Send PM

Re: Will the new Intel CPU be good due to the P cores and the E cores ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#392517 - 11/10/21 04:22 AM

I saw a recent video where david haywood explains the number of cores of a cpu doesn't matter for mame at all.
It's the speed of a single core that matters since all is done by one single core in mame.

I'm not an expert but I can tell I noticed this on my Mac.

I now have a MacBook Pro M1 Max while in the past I had a desktop Mac. The current MacBook has 10 cores and when running mame you can look at the cpu workload and ... Only 1 core (sometimes a 2nd) is used while all the time 9 cores do nothing at all.

I don't know about windows but Mac OS allocates a process intelligent across cores. You'll have to search if you can allocate mame to the core you want.
But i think it will not matter much since cpu cores are mostly clones of each other.

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Will the new Intel CPU be good due to the P cores and the E cores ? new [Re: kirby]
#392580 - 11/11/21 03:34 AM

"I saw a recent video where david haywood explains the number of cores of a cpu doesn't matter for mame at all.
It's the speed of a single core that matters since all is done by one single core in mame."

Yeah I know that, I've been mamimg since the mid 2000's. What I want to know will that single core be the one of the P cores hopefully or a E core that mame will use.

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

Re: Will the new Intel CPU be good due to the P cores and the E cores ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#392723 - 12/03/21 03:35 AM

I purposely ordered the Gigabyte Aero G DDR4 motherboard which allows you to park the E-Cores within Windows instead of having to go to the BIOS. I will hopefully have all the parts within the next 2 weeks for a build over the holidays.

I've been running my existing build for almost 8 years. I'd like to see that I can play at least 1 N64 game at full speed in MAME. 12900K, 64GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600 DDR4 (CL16), FireCuda SSD 2TB.

A-Noid

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Will the new Intel CPU be good due to the P cores and the E cores ? new [Re: anoid]
#392727 - 12/03/21 05:11 AM

Does this motherboard also be able to do that ?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/

Also lets us how much your fps improves. Good luck

anoid
Lurker
Reged: 12/05/03
Send PM

#392728 - 12/03/21 06:39 PM

> Does this motherboard also be able to do that ?
>
> https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/
>
>
> Also lets us how much your fps improves. Good luck

Not at this time. To my knowledge, you can do it in the BIOS, but not within Windows. I suspect ASuS may do it in the future, but right now only Gigabyte has the feature. I ended up buying the Aero G DDR4. Seemed to have more ports and looked like a decent MB. I’ll let you know how it works in a few weeks. My SSD is back ordered, which might delay my build.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 835