MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Wiltgim
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/21
Send PM

Mame cocktail cabinet
#392114 - 10/11/21 04:28 PM

Please help me!!!
I have a very old Taito Cocktail Cabinet which I bought in 2004 and built by a Tim Surman it’s run on an old Windows 95 machine.
In my wisdom, I decided to mess about with the rom list (as I had previously listed all the 100’s of games), I went through and deleted some of the roms, thinking that it would still be ok to run. But, it now can’t find any of the games with the message “No games found”.
I think that I’ve re-instated the deleted files, but it still comes up with the same error......
I’m getting withdrawal systems and I am worried that I’ll never see or hear many of my games again.
Could someone please advice me of what to do, I’m a complete novice!!
Thank you in advance....

NaokiS
DSEM2 Fan
Reged: 08/24/21
Send PM

Re: Mame cocktail cabinet new [Re: Wiltgim]
#392132 - 10/12/21 07:55 PM

Making multiple topics won't gain you faster support, please keep it to one to not clutter the forums.

Your image you posted before also is 404'd, we can't see it, so again, we can't help you there.

Finally you're using such an old system, it could be more worth your time looking into modernising it so people are more able to help you as just about everything about that setup is garaunteed to be wholly outdated and hard to support.. It's pointless to use Windows 95 for a MAME cab today with any vaguely recent version of MAME mainly due to support and the fact you require archaic hardware to run in.

You could quite easily, possibly in less time, stick some Dell SFF machine in there with a J-PAC or some modern USB encoder and be able to run Windows 7 with recent builds of MAME - At least that's how I'd do it.

Wiltgim
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/21
Send PM

Re: Mame cocktail cabinet new [Re: NaokiS]
#392138 - 10/14/21 07:10 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!

I’ve decided to update the machine, any recommendations on what is the best machine to update to?

Also, anyone out there that would like to take on this project, happy to pay for someone’s time!

Please let me know....

NaokiS
DSEM2 Fan
Reged: 08/24/21
Send PM

Re: Mame cocktail cabinet new [Re: Wiltgim]
#392146 - 10/16/21 01:09 AM

Literally any desktop PC within the last decade or 5 years, perhaps a small for factor dell like an Optiplex would see you right. Newer machines won't have PS2 on them but then it depends want input encoder you have on your machine. Also whether its using a 31khz (Pc monitor) or proper 15KHz (arcade style) monitor.

If you will update the machine, knowing what monitor you have and how your inputs are currently connected will help determine what system you need to get or additional parts

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Mame cocktail cabinet new [Re: NaokiS]
#392363 - 10/31/21 12:43 PM

Your best results would be with bare minimum core i7 intel CPU
This will run the most current version of Mame with the updated sound emulation via netlist. sega vector games and Exidy vector games among others.
If the original cab was PC based, this would be the best way to go. Find an afforable PC on craigslist and get rid of that old clunker.

If perfection is not needed and you just want a simple solution, buy a Game Elf or Pandoras Box specifically for cocktail cabinets. Usually a 412 in 1 or more. You can find them on Amazon or Ebay for $50.
These use an ancient version of mame, 0.80
The vast majority of people are perfectly happy with this

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 526