MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

Why does Killer Instinct NOT run interlaced?
#391349 - 07/23/21 12:55 AM

It's weird to me this game's graphics made with silicon graphics computers would take advantage of interlacing for a better graphical experience but this isn't the case. Game itself runs at 15khz 240p with no option to change the video setting. Most other games with higher graphic capabilities needed the interlace usually for more fps. The following arcade hardware I know of made use of interlacing:

• Namco System 21 and derivatives (has a jumper to set the video mode).
  • Namco System 22 and derivatives
  • Namco System 23 and derivatives
  • Sega Titan Video
  • Most PS1 based hardware (some do have a video mode setting)
  • Early Gaelco 3D games
  • Hyper Neo Geo 64
  • Sega Naomi/Sammy Atomiswave (if set to 15khz)

Had the inspiration to make this thread after visiting an arcade with lots of Atomiswave games and played a nice session of Metal Slug 6 there (all the Atomiswave cabs had standard res monitors btw). Funny Metal Slug 6 runs interlaced but Killer Instinct does not.

-.-

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Why does Killer Instinct NOT run interlaced? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#391374 - 07/23/21 11:20 AM

That's an interesting question, one that I'll respond to with a question of my own:

What do all of those platforms you list have in common, that Killer Instinct does not have?

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

Re: Why does Killer Instinct NOT run interlaced? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#391376 - 07/23/21 06:50 PM

> That's an interesting question, one that I'll respond to with a question of my own:
>
> What do all of those platforms you list have in common, that Killer Instinct does not
> have?

Good games?

roscian
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/11/07
Loc: City of Angels
Send PM

#391382 - 07/24/21 04:36 AM

None have a "K" in their names?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#391384 - 07/24/21 01:45 PM

> That's an interesting question, one that I'll respond to with a question of my own:
>
> What do all of those platforms you list have in common, that Killer Instinct does not
> have?

The simple answer is this: Accelerated graphics.

KI1 and KI2 were, for the most part, nothing more than a framebuffer hooked up to a high-end (for the time) MIPS processor, plus Midway's DCS sound system.

The other platforms could pretty much just issue draw commands and not have to worry about it. The main CPU on Killer Instinct, however, had to draw any real 3D geometry in software, although for the most part it just handled drawing pre-rendered sprites to the screen.

If interlaced video were used to effectively double the screen resolution, would have required a doubling of something depending on how Midway and Nintendo would have gone about it: Either double the amount of RAM used to hold the sprites due to them being double-height, double the hard drive space for twice the resolution of videos, or double the amount of pixels drawn by the CPU if they went for an outright double-sized (but interlaced) framebuffer.

This would have driven up costs and might not have been within throwing range of the MIPS CPU that the system used.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

#391385 - 07/24/21 06:10 PM

Most games I listed (except for Galeco 3d) were Japanese engineered hardware while Killer Instinct was U.S. engineered.

Other than that, I have an exceptionally weird taste in games (possibly from being born pretty late after the so called 'golden age' of arcades in the 80s, 1993 to be exact). Most 2d games I got introduced to were either Neo Geo or Capcom systems (no games like Mortal Kombat). Never have I heard of Killer Instinct before until looking up on what's a MAME CHD file way back in the mid to late 2000s (and my first impressions on that game was it looked and played quite awful compared to those Neo Geo and Capcom fighting games). Doesn't help my first time playing the game (not too long ago in a barcade) wasn't a great experience either with more stiff controls compared to a game like Marvel vs Capcom.

Can't leave Midway completely out of the picture either with games like Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049.

Sega 3d arcade games were great too except I didn't list those because they naturally ran at 25khz medium res. Wouldn't be ideal to run those medium res games interlaced.

-.-

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 594