MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Video converter
#390828 - 05/07/21 11:24 PM

Although this probably belongs in Hardware, or even on a whole different forum (which I may cross-post soon), I figured I was going looney travelling the never-ending rabbit hole, so this seemed more appropriate for the initial post.

Many years ago, I built a MAME cab. Every so often, I build a new machine for my primary needs, and the old machine gets moved into the MAME cab. The video output in the cabinet is a Sharp 27SC26B CRT TV that accepts component, s-video, and composite.
Here is my current configuration for the cabinet PC: 12+ year old machine running Vista. The video card is a Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850, which has an s-video out that I am using to connect to the TV. The current configuration is outputting 800x600 PC resolution to 480i via drivers.

Every 5 to 8 years, I build a new machine for my current office/gaming needs, and move the older machine down to the arcade. I figure I still have at least a couple more years before I begin a new build, but have been looking into options on how to get my current machine to output to the TV.

My current machine has the following configuration:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H – expansion slots are PCI Express x16
Video: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 Windforce (PCI Express 3.0) – output HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-I, and DVI-D.

I’m looking for a way to convert HDMI or DVI (800x600 resolution if possible) to either S-Video or Component to a TV that accepts 480i (4:3 ratio).
One solution would be to find a video card that has those outputs, but it would need to fit into a PCI Express slot and have driver support for Windows 10. Another option is to find a converter to down convert from a 4:3 ratio (800x600 or 1024x768) to 480i.

Any ideas or suggestions?

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Video converter new [Re: Moochieone]
#390829 - 05/08/21 06:05 AM

Don't over-think it. Your tv/monitor is too old to bother. You should be able to set the resolution within Windows, and use a really cheap adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/eForCity-DVI-I-Video-Component-Adapter-RGB/dp/B000E8V0YI

If you need sound as well, then hdmi adapter is the way to go, but they are a bit more...

https://www.amazon.com/YPbPr-Converter-C...nics&sr=1-5

EDIT: and, damnit... me doing your Google search for you might cost me money. This looks very tempting... lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FJFM8P4/ref...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Video converter new [Re: URherenow]
#390831 - 05/08/21 04:31 PM

Thanks for the response. I did look at those converter dongles, but most of them only work for ATI video cards, and since my current configuration is using a NVIDIA card, I don't think it will work.

URherenow
Send PM

#390832 - 05/09/21 11:09 AM

So I guess that rules out the DVi adapter, but what about the HDMI? And if the monitor has one of those single yellow connectors, there is this as well: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Composi...ics&sr=1-30

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Send PM

#390839 - 05/10/21 05:00 AM

UR - thanks for the suggestion. I had never thought that going composite would be a good option, but for under $10, I am willing to give it a try. It would certainly be interesting to see.
Fun fact...the machine that I had in the arcade prior to this one did have a video card that had output to s-video, but the drivers were so bad that I ended up using a dongle to output to component (it was an ATI video card). The only issue was that during boot-up (POST), the screen would wave, but once in Windows (XP at the time), it would run just fine, with only a few minor refresh rate issues here and there.
After upgrading, I figured I would try to stick with component, but s-video proved to be better in the long run due to refresh rates.
Current solutions that are $10+ a pop for my current configuration are easy and simple for me to test (of which I haven't done yet), but I've seen some that are several hundred dollars (and some just close to $100), and only want to invest the time if they have been proven by others - hence the OP. These are the ones I'm scouting around to see if anyone has tried to use them with any success.

URherenow
Send PM

#390841 - 05/10/21 11:13 AM

Well, my response was based solely on what you requested, and it sounded like you really want to keep using that old CRT. Had I known you were ok spending $100 or more, I would have suggested buying a new monitor instead. A cheap one will do just fine for MAME.

There's HLSL or whatever to add the CRT and/or scanline look to your games. There's the USB Wiimote thingy you can use not only for Wii emulators, but also to use a Wiimote as a light gun. With just a tiny bit of ingenuity, you can mount a widescreen monitor in/on a rotating piece so you can actually play vertical shooters the way they were intended to be played. Not to mention energy savings...

Only real downside I can think of, is if you have an actual PC light gun that requires a CRT to work. But another $34 can get you the Wiimote adapter...

https://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W010.html

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Send PM

#393136 - 01/26/22 02:54 AM

A quick update to an old post of mine.
I have been spinning wheels researching options on my original post. I know most people could care less, but for those select few that may care down the road, at least the info I have been putting together can at least be archived for a while.
My main point of contention is that I built an arcade cab nearly 2 decades ago with width dimensions that would fit a 25" television as a display, and not only am I using a 25" TV, I'm also using a standard arcade monitor bezel around the display. If I were to replace the TV just because I can't find an appropriate output solution with current PC standards, my options would be to go with either a smaller widescreen display that will fit (and need to come up with some weird bezel), or redesign the cab to become a pedestal cab. One other option would be to locate a 25" computer CRT and replace the TV, but, even then, VGA video card output that fits PCI Express is nearly as old at this point and only adds to the cost of replacing the TV.
Over the last few months, I did a lot of research into video signal converters and the associated issues with converting digital to analog signals. And even though I haven't actually tested many of the options available, I have read that nearly all the options suffer from some degree of display lag, which is probably not a good thing with certain arcade games. I don't have any proof on this, but am simply relying on theoretical reasoning at this point.
While researching all of this, I did find out that the last two video cards that include s-video analog outputs are the ATI Radeon HD 4890 (a slight upgrade to my current 4850) and the NVidia GeForce GTX 285. Both cards are PCI Express 2.0 x16 and both will work with my current motherboard. The GTX 285 looked most promising since it natively supports DX10 (MAME is still using DX9 libraries) and there is still supposedly driver support in Windows 10. With an onboard DAC and drivers that are still possibly supported with today's OS, I was able to pick up a used GTX 285 for a very reasonable price, so this is the option I am going with for now.
The worst part is that, after this, there probably won’t be any more upgrades as SDTVs are now a thing of the dinosaurs, unless better DAC options become available at reasonable prices with lower latency. I'm not holding my breath.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 641