Pages: 1

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

History.xml 2.31
#390769 - 04/28/21 10:22 PM

Xml and dat versions available https://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=download

See my collection: here

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: History.xml 2.31 new [Re: Alexis B.]
#390808 - 05/04/21 02:08 AM

I don’t think Cave Speeder was unreleased, it was just uncommon. It required the IDYA enclosed, two-player motion cabinet, and used LaserDisc video. The IDYA was big, heavy, expensive, used a lot of power, and had a bunch of mechanical components that needed maintenance and could fail; LaserDisc players in arcade machines were not exactly known for there reliability, either. This meant it was confined to theme parks and larger arcades. In Australia, both DreamWorld on the Gold Coast and Sega World in Darling Harbour had IDYA cabinets running Cave Speeder. It would have been hard for an unreleased game to show up in multiple locations outside Japan like that.

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

Re: History.xml 2.31 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#390809 - 05/04/21 09:22 AM

> I don’t think Cave Speeder was unreleased, it was just uncommon. It required the IDYA
> enclosed, two-player motion cabinet, and used LaserDisc video. The IDYA was big,
> heavy, expensive, used a lot of power, and had a bunch of mechanical components that
> needed maintenance and could fail; LaserDisc players in arcade machines were not
> exactly known for there reliability, either. This meant it was confined to theme
> parks and larger arcades. In Australia, both DreamWorld on the Gold Coast and Sega
> World in Darling Harbour had IDYA cabinets running Cave Speeder. It would have been
> hard for an unreleased game to show up in multiple locations outside Japan like that.

I just removed the Unreleased tag, thanks for the information.

See my collection: here

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: History.xml 2.31 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#390810 - 05/04/21 09:40 AM

Anything that could be found in ANY *commercial* setting, was released. Even if it was only 1. Even if it wasn't authorized to be released.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 550