MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Windows defender SUX
#390740 - 04/25/21 07:13 AM

So, I finally removed SEP from my system. Many people in here seemed content with simply having Windows defender turned on, and that's it.

First thing after rebooting, Defender identifies 3 files, one of which is glh2.exe. While I'm googling with the window still open, to figure out if I've ever installed mods or the like (I didn't... I just bought Hexen II from Steam, to get the files and run it on my 3DS), I see that window update, as defender automatically takes action and deletes the shit.

No options I can find, to make it wait for my choice. No quarantine to speak of (although it is an option that you can take... if you manage to, before defender deletes it by itself). I don't have a damn clue now, what other 2 files were deleted. As I probably figured out long ago, Windows Defender simply fucking sucks. This wasn't a case of downloading from shady sites. This wasn't unauthorized modding. This wasn't piracy. There is simply no excuse for the pile of garbage, that is Windows "defender".

EDIT: It's complete horse shit that someone would have to Google this crap, and more horse shit that you have to use Powershell/cli to take care of it. It really is illegal to delete a user's files without explicit permission, is it not? Anyway, in case anyone else is troubled by this, the solutions are in an answer here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot...d1e3af5a?auth=1

EDIT2: Had to dig into Event Viewer to figure out what else was deleted. Thankfully, it wasn't important to me anyway since hekate/nyx on the switch takes care of MTP file transfers quite nicely. It was an .nro file and an .exe that had to do with MTP on the Switch, and it was from gitub, so I likely built it myself in the first place. Not a damn virus or trojan.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Windows defender SUX new [Re: URherenow]
#390741 - 04/25/21 11:52 AM

> So, I finally removed SEP from my system. Many people in here seemed content with
> simply having Windows defender turned on, and that's it.
>

Defender is a disaster and a legal minefield.

1. You can't disable it permanently.

2. It scans network (NAS) drives even if you tell it not to, bringing the internal network to its knees.

3. It deletes stuff without saying anything. You only find out later when you find empty zipfiles, or files that are full of zeroes.

4. You can't decide not to have a virus scanner.

All of these things would be questionable legally in certain countries, if the authorities bothered to take action.

You should be able to turn it off permanently if you're not connected to the internet.

You should have the choice of what it should do when a detection is made (not later).

You shouldn't have to hack the registry, group policy or use Powershell to make adjustments.

You should have the choice of ignoring certain files.

To stop it scanning my NAS I added a firewall rule. But then Defender decided this rule was a virus and tried to rip it out. How DARE it try to overrule my choices? Microsoft are certainly looking to get sued by someone.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Wouldn't get my hopes up new [Re: Robbbert]
#390750 - 04/27/21 03:36 PM

I kept waiting for Microsoft to get a class action from a gang of corps over all of the support hours and $$$ wasted dealing with bad patches and stupid "agile" software development. Its an OS and it should be treated as a stable platform to install hardware and run user installed applications and that's it. An OS is not a service. Its not an opportunity to collect data on users. They should not rely on the user as QA.

No help is coming. This is how it is from here on out. Through incrementalism, Gate's dream of cloud hosted PCs is going to take over. They're slowly turning Linux into just another app installed on Windows. In about 10-15 years, PCs in the traditional sense will be minimized as people will always choose path of least resistance and convenience. Building a PC, assuming you can get parts will be a game for the rich. Your data will all be cloud stored and accessible and subject to inspection by the service provider and authorities. Component manufacturers would much rather sell in bulk to Big Compute for SAAS/HAAS vs. packaging/selling/advertising to consumer.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 582