MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Command.dat 0.230 out!
#390521 - 04/02/21 09:17 PM

Online a new updated version of command.dat file, available here: pS Command.dat Page.

Changelog:
* 1.03 0.230 02/04/2021: Thanks to Fabricio2012 28 items have been added and 21 are fixed.

Whatsnew (All the news described by Fabricio, who did all the work):
- Change some icons and remove some "useless texts".
- Change Armored Warriors, Art of Fighting, Art of Fighting 2, Art of Fighting 3, Asura Blade, Asura Buster, Daraku Tenshi, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 3, Final Fight Revenge, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, The King of Fighters '99, The King of Fighters 2000, The King of Fighters 2001, Kizuna Encounter, Martial Masters, Red Earth, Savage Reign, Street Fighter III: New Generation, Street Fighter III - 2nd Impact: Giant Attack, Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike, Voltage Fighter: Gowcaizer and World Heroes Perfect.
- Re-Added and Corrected Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition, Primal Rage 2, Samurai Shodown 64, Samurai Shodown: Warrior's Rage, Sonic Championship and Virtua Fighter 2.

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

Re: Command.dat 0.230 out! new [Re: AntoPISA]
#390933 - 05/24/21 03:20 AM Attachment: command_now.jpg 57 KB (2 downloads)

I have tried to reach out to a few MAME devs about fixing the presentation of the command.dat but absolutely no one has responded to my requests for help, which is a little discouraging.

When the command.dat was initially conceived, it was conceived with fixed width font in mind. All of the whitespace throughout the commands was very carefully laid out in order to make it look good with the fixed number of spaces per line that we had available. Now it's rendered with the same variable width font that MAME traditionally uses, and it comes out looking very strange, like every line has it's own concept of where the moves should appear. I'd also like to restore the colors that certain buttons had.

I've been poking through the source code, and I've study rendfont.cpp and cmddata.h quite a bit. I also looked a bit at menu.cpp and submenu.cpp, and I see how it handles things like the configuration menus where the name of a setting is left justified, and the value for that setting is right justified. This would be good for the command.dat, left justifying the name of a move, and right justifying the move input. But I just don't see how to marry that system from the menu to the External Dat View. Even better would be having two left justified columns so all of the move inputs lined up nicely.

I was hoping a dev might be able to help point the way. I understand not being interested in working on this system, and I would have appreciated and respected a response saying so. But to have my inquiry completely ignored really sucks.

I'll keep taking a look at it and see if I can come up with a solution, but without some assistance, the chances of my success are small.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by Procyon (05/24/21 03:22 AM)

Procyon
Send PM

Re: Command.dat 0.230 out! new [Re: Procyon]
#390934 - 05/24/21 03:21 AM Attachment: command_next.jpg 57 KB (3 downloads)

Above is the way things look today. This is how I'd like them to look going forward:

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Command.dat 0.230 out! new [Re: Procyon]
#390936 - 05/24/21 07:41 AM

> I have tried to reach out to a few MAME devs about fixing the presentation of the
> command.dat but absolutely no one has responded to my requests for help, which is a
> little discouraging.

I’ve got far bigger fish to fry. I know it’s less than ideal, but fixing it requires a huge amount of work, and I’m already stretched far too thin on the ground. I know everyone thinks their pet feature is the most important thing in the universe, but in the scale of things, command.dat isn’t something that’s going to determine priorities for rewriting significant parts of the internal UI framework.

Procyon
Send PM

Re: Command.dat 0.230 out! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#390939 - 05/24/21 07:14 PM

> I know everyone thinks their pet feature is the most important thing in the universe...

On the contrary, I completely understand that the command.dat is probably lower in priority than the choice in the particular shade of blue that the MAME UI defaults to. I'm not suggesting that anyone drop what they're doing and help fix the command.dat. I would much rather you focus on what you're focusing on. I can't help there. I _might_ be able to help here. Hell, I might be able to take rewriting parts of the internal UI framework off your plate, I don't know. Conversations would need to be had to determine that. But when reaching out to someone to both offer and receive assistance, getting a "sorry, I'm busy with other things" response is significantly better than being ignored, particularly by folks that you look up to. At least then you've acknowledged the person.

If I had a better understanding of the scale and scope of changes that the UI framework requires, I might be able to lend a hand. The offer's out there.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 631