MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

you know what's unfortunate about bullet hell schmups?
#390392 - 03/22/21 05:54 AM Attachment: pandemonium.jpg 84 KB (0 downloads)

all the time wasted on creating cool assets and visuals. i just realized that i've played through dodonpachi several times, and i can't recall what the stages or bosses actually look like. 6 seconds in, the game becomes a total attention-encompassing game of pink dots vs "omfg how many bombs do i have left?!". the game may as well be a white background with black squares for enemies, and black dots for their projectiles.

xoxo

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

i learned everything i know from KC

Dreamstate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/17
Send PM

Re: you know what's unfortunate about bullet hell schmups? new [Re: jopezu]
#390418 - 03/25/21 06:22 AM

Yep. At some point it would be nice to have a cheat where enemies don't fire on all shmups.

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/10
Send PM

#390496 - 03/31/21 11:39 PM

I'm flabbergasted that you managed to complete this game! I thought that was nigh on impossible but then I'm not much for bullet hells. Still, I'm impressed. Your picture kinda says it all. I don't think the work on visuals and such are vasted at all though. If the game wasn't well made and, well, "artistic", it wouldn't be able to claim your attention so thoroughly. Just my 2 cents.

Thumbs up though. Words fail me.

Regards.

EDIT: thouroughly/thoroughly (man i'm bored. )

Edited by GeorgeDorn (04/02/21 10:25 PM)

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/10
Send PM

#390523 - 04/02/21 10:20 PM

Well I got pigheaded and "completed" the game (on MAME, controlling both players and using a wealth of virtual credits). When I talk about *completing* an arcade game I mean using a single credit. Incidentally, from reading the wiki entry on DoDonPachi (that *is* the game we're talking about, right?) I see it has an extra stage only accessible when you complete it using a single credit. I take it that's where the image you posted is from?

/Regards

Edited by GeorgeDorn (04/02/21 10:22 PM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#390621 - 04/11/21 03:16 AM

I think it'd be nice to see games where the enemies have a more realistic bullet/projectile speed - just like Player_1 does. No need to fill the screen up with projectiles. And not slow-moving objects the player could fly circles around. And that's just for schmups. The same could also be done in side-scrolling platformers where enemies have guns.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 571