MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/07/10
Send PM

Cooperative features in old arcade shmups?
#390176 - 03/07/21 06:24 PM Attachment: RAIDEN2.jpg 133 KB (0 downloads)

I'm having a little nostalgic fit playing old arcade games. Using MAME I configured the good old shmup Raiden so I control both player 1 and 2 because Raiden has a cooperative feature where firepower is enhanced when the ships overlap. This makes Raiden fun again (briefly and for various interpretations of "fun", YMMV).

Anyone here know of other games with features similar to Raiden?

Regards.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/08/21 02:01 PM)

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cooperative features in old arcade shmups? new [Re: GeorgeDorn]
#390177 - 03/07/21 10:44 PM

It's possible to play R-Type Leo like this too but it lacks the addictiveness of "Raiden".

BTW, sorry if this is not the place for this kind of discussion (read: monologue?). I had a hard time finding a MAME forum to ask this question and then discovered I've been a member here for 10+ years, so...

[EDIT: I gave DoDonPachi a go too and although it works it's too much of a bullet hell to be much fun. At least for me.]

[EDIT2: Ech, I tried to correct my language effups since English isn't my first language but it's hopeless and I'm more than likely overthinking it. ]

I've always wondered why creators thought it important to come up with "background stories" for games like this. I mean how complicated does it need to be?

Man I need to go to sleep.

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/07/21 11:00 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#390184 - 03/08/21 05:29 PM

> I'm having a little nostalgic fit playing old arcade games. Using MAME I configured
> the good old shmup Raiden so I control both player 1 and 2 because Raiden has a
> cooperative feature where firepower is enhanced when the ships overlap. This makes
> Raiden fun again (briefly and for various interpretations of "fun", YMMV).
>
> Anyone here know of other games with features similar to Raiden?
>
> Regards.

In Dogyuun you can use the tractor beam on P2 ship to get a 'super ship' This is part of the game design, not just a case of doubling up the ships by putting them in the same place.

Blasteriods, while not a vertical shooter, has a similar mechanic.

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cooperative features in old arcade shmups? new [Re: Haze]
#390185 - 03/08/21 08:40 PM Attachment: dogyuun.jpg 179 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks for the feedback. I 'm giving Dogyuun a go.

Even if a game, in terms of playability and addictiveness, isn't up there with "Raiden" that's OK. A secondary objective of mine (to stay in the jargon) is to just learn about other (old-school arcade) schmups. "Unfortunately" "Raiden" is pretty unique in that it occupies a sweet spot in being difficult but not impossible and, as I think I already mentioned, has both a qualitative and quantitative edge which is pretty much undefinable as well as ineffable.

I played "Raiden" for the first time at age 12 and appearently I still find it funny at the age of 45. Now some would say this says more about me than the game but of course I will adamantly/vehemently DISagree.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/09/21 05:34 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#390186 - 03/08/21 08:52 PM Attachment: 0000.png 33 KB (0 downloads)

> Thanks for the feedback. I 'm giving Dogyuun a go.
>
> Even if a game, in terms of playability and addictiveness, isn't up there with
> "Raiden" that's OK. A secondary objective of mine (to stay in the jargon) is to just
> learn about other (old-school arcade) schmups. "Unfortunately" "Raiden" is pretty
> unique in that it occupies a sweet spot in being difficult but not impossible and, as
> I think I already mentioned, has both a qualitative and quantitative edge which is
> pretty much undefinable as well as ineffable.
>
> I played "Raiden" for the first time at age 12 and appearently I still find it funny
> at the age of 45. Now some would say this says more about me than the game but of
> course I will adamantly/vehemently agree.

that image isn't the joined up ship, that's just 2 ships side by side.

the game literally has a feature to make both ships into 1 ship.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Haze (03/08/21 08:53 PM)

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

#390187 - 03/08/21 09:00 PM

Incidentally, will I come off as a smartass if I say that I'm pretty adept at programming and I'm slowly warming to developing my own schmup using either Javascript/WebGL or C/C++/OpenGL/DirectX?

After all, it's not 3D programming and it should be pretty straightforward. Anyone with ideas along these lines? I'm not an expert at graphics but since we're talking 2D and sprites/textures it shouldn't be high-level chemistry. I'd love creating something along the lines of "Raiden"...

But maybe someone here has a better idea?

Regards.

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

#390188 - 03/08/21 09:07 PM

Yrs, I'm sure I haven't done it justice. I just gave it a quick look. I'll have to read the wiki page to learn how the weapons system works. I'm sure I'll get there. I just came home after some social (corona-related) support and I've had a couple of beers. I'm not outright drunk but I'm not in a position to make a computer work much less comment intelligently either. That must be a task for tommorow.

[EDIT]:

The word I was looking for regarding "social corona-related support" was "damage control".

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/08/21 09:11 PM)

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

#390189 - 03/08/21 09:14 PM

Aah. A picture is worth a thousand words! I'm sure you're onto something here!

After all, I can't be the first one hitting on this brilliant idea of controlling both players...

PokeMAME
Gotta catch 'em all!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Send PM

#390200 - 03/09/21 01:03 AM

>
>
> Regards.

I always found Guwange to be an interesting shmup!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guwange

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cooperative features in old arcade shmups? new [Re: PokeMAME]
#390201 - 03/09/21 05:33 AM

Thank you. I'll give that a go.

Yeah. I see what you mean. And the 2player trick works too. Thanks.

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/09/21 06:09 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#390202 - 03/09/21 06:18 AM

It shouldn’t be too hard to build the engine. Focus on keeping it clean, and making the code pluggable so there isn’t too much effort adding additional enemies, projectiles, etc. Try to make things use common interfaces as much as possible. You can always get someone else to draw graphics for you later.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#390204 - 03/09/21 04:59 PM

> I'm having a little nostalgic fit playing old arcade games. Using MAME I configured
> the good old shmup Raiden so I control both player 1 and 2 because Raiden has a
> cooperative feature where firepower is enhanced when the ships overlap. This makes
> Raiden fun again (briefly and for various interpretations of "fun", YMMV).
>
>
> Regards.

Batsugun and Batsugun Special Version
Darius 1 / Special Edition and 2
Thunder Cross 1 and 2
Gokujou Parodius
Sexy Parodius

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cooperative features in old arcade shmups? new [Re: Master O]
#390206 - 03/09/21 06:35 PM

Tank you. I'll give these a try.

GeorgeDorn
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Cooperative features in old arcade shmups? new [Re: PokeMAME]
#390219 - 03/11/21 06:42 PM

That "Guwange" game is a little gem. Not quite a "bullet hell" I see wiki aptly calls it a "manic shooter". It is very "Japanese".

It has one of the most gratitious and ridiculously convoluted background stories I've ever seen in a shmup video game. The mystery aggravated by the fact that it's not really touched upon in the game itself. Although if Japanese characters are extremely information dense who's really to say it's not. My Japanese is a little rusty to put it mildly.

But I had to find out why I have a demonic spirit elephant on a magical leash.

Edited by GeorgeDorn (03/12/21 10:31 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 726