Pages: 1

exekutive
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/21
Send PM

mame gauntlet
#389838 - 02/06/21 10:41 AM

Hi. I am using MAME 0.228
I downloaded gauntlet rev14, but it doesn't work. It says the selected machine is missing one or more ROM or CHD images.

How do I play arcade gauntlet please? Thanks in advance.

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: exekutive]
#389841 - 02/06/21 12:38 PM

> Hi. I am using MAME 0.228
> I downloaded gauntlet rev14, but it doesn't work. It says the selected machine is
> missing one or more ROM or CHD images.
>
> How do I play arcade gauntlet please? Thanks in advance.

MAME needs roms and sometimes chd's to function. When you attempt to start a machine, MAME will tell you what it expects and where it attempts to find them. For example, for gauntlet it might say this :

Code:

mame64 gauntlet
136037-1307.9a NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-1308.9b NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-205.10a NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-206.10b NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-1409.7a NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-1410.7b NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-120.16r NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-119.16s NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-104.6p NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-111.1a NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-112.1b NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-113.1l NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-114.1mn NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-115.2a NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-116.2b NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-117.2l NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
136037-118.2mn NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
74s472-136037-101.7u NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
74s472-136037-102.5l NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
74s287-136037-103.4r NOT FOUND (tried in gauntlet)
Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

You need to find these. We cannot help you with that because of the forum rules. Use Google.

exekutive
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: mhoes]
#389842 - 02/07/21 02:09 AM

Why isn't everything included in the zip? I googled my ass off and all the zips are the same. I have no idea what to search for, and I don't understand why they all don't work for me. How are other people getting this to work?

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#389843 - 02/07/21 02:24 AM

Gauntlet doesn't use CHD's so you are trying to run either Gauntlet Dark Legacy or Gauntlet Legends.

ROMs (zips) are images of flash chips on arcade cabinet motherboards.

CHDs are images of hard drives, CDs, laser discs - any storage media holding game data not on a chip.

MAME expects CHDs to be in their own folders which share the same name as the rom

Gauntlet Dark Legacy:

C:\MAME\roms\gauntdl.zip
C:\MAME\roms\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd

Gauntlet Legends:

C:\MAME\roms\gauntleg.zip
C:\MAME\roms\gaunrleg\gauntleg.chd

exekutive
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Jason]
#389844 - 02/07/21 02:31 AM

I followed the instructions here and got it working
https://web.archive.org/web/20190629023507/http://www.davidhouchin.com/blog/fixing-gauntlet-on-mame/

I really didn't expect such an iconic game to be so unavailable.

exekutive
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: mhoes]
#389845 - 02/07/21 02:33 AM

are people actually still collecting royalties on these ancient games?

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

#389846 - 02/07/21 02:50 AM

Wow...you certainly took the long and unpaved road to get to your destination. If you had only searched for the dome of pleasures (Kubla Khan), you would have found a more direct route to the palace.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#389847 - 02/07/21 03:01 AM

> I googled my ass off

Ever since Nintendo of America went rabid, most rom sites have chosen to not appear in search results. So now it's word-of-mouth and more underground.

Even then, many sites don't bother updating MAME roms, it's a huge job for little reward. Many sites don't have the server space available, so they just do the more popular arcade stuff.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Robbbert]
#389857 - 02/07/21 04:04 PM

> Ever since Nintendo of America went rabid, most rom sites have chosen to not appear
> in search results. So now it's word-of-mouth and more underground.
>
> Even then, many sites don't bother updating MAME roms, it's a huge job for little
> reward. Many sites don't have the server space available, so they just do the more
> popular arcade stuff.

I miss mame.dk. Ah, those were the days. Of course I'm dating myself now.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Andrew]
#389861 - 02/07/21 09:14 PM

>I miss mame.dk. Ah, those were the days.

Yes....but JoseQ's Emuviews with the weekly RumorMill report was the ticket back in the days.

>Of course I'm dating myself now.

--
https://youtu.be/JMK6lzmSk2o?t=12

Slim Pickens: 'Piss on you, I'm working for Mel Brooks.'
-

*film director Buddy: "WRONNNGGG" yelling through his director's megaphone and smacking megaphone at actor as well.*

It is when one admits they were visiting arcades before coinop videogames started appearing in arcades.

* Back to Blazing Saddles *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

Blazing Saddles- The French Mistake

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Andrew]
#389863 - 02/08/21 06:58 AM

> Of course I'm dating myself now.

Congratulations, you two! I'm sure you'll make a fine couple.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Robbbert]
#389867 - 02/08/21 09:04 PM

> > I googled my ass off
>
> Ever since Nintendo of America went rabid, most rom sites have chosen to not appear
> in search results. So now it's word-of-mouth and more underground.
>
> Even then, many sites don't bother updating MAME roms, it's a huge job for little
> reward. Many sites don't have the server space available, so they just do the more
> popular arcade stuff.

Even if Nintendo shuts a few of those sites down, another 10 or 20 will spring up outside of US and Japanese jurisdiction.

It's an eternal game of whack-a-mole.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: Master O]
#389868 - 02/09/21 03:32 AM

> > > I googled my ass off
> >
> > Ever since Nintendo of America went rabid, most rom sites have chosen to not appear
> > in search results. So now it's word-of-mouth and more underground.
> >
> > Even then, many sites don't bother updating MAME roms, it's a huge job for little
> > reward. Many sites don't have the server space available, so they just do the more
> > popular arcade stuff.
>
> Even if Nintendo shuts a few of those sites down, another 10 or 20 will spring up
> outside of US and Japanese jurisdiction.
>
> It's an eternal game of whack-a-mole.

In my opinion, most companies pass over rom image download sites which don't involve making any money. That means no ADs, "Subscription" fees for content, or even setting up patreon accounts to cover "server costs" or anything else that may be considered profiting off their IP. Stuff like that will likely get you quickly flagged and potentially sued. Best thing, of course, is to not even attempting such data.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: gregf]
#389893 - 02/13/21 02:36 AM

> Yes....but JoseQ's Emuviews with the weekly RumorMill report was the ticket back in
> the days.
>
Ahhhh the memories!! Remember even before MAME, there was the emulation repository, emulators were for a single game. Niocola Salmoria took his Pac-Man emulator, added a few more games to it and called it MAME. The rest is history.

Some of the single emulator games had funny names. The Donkulator, the Kongulator etc. SO much fun back then.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#389894 - 02/13/21 03:34 AM

The reason you were having problems is easy to comprehend but complicated to explain. Manufactures make revisions to arcade games. There is a couple different languages, (French, German, Spanish etc...) each having their own romset. Then there is the 2 player and 4 player cabinets, each requiring a different rom set. Then there is the issue of patches and bug fixes Atari might have found. Quickly glancing at MAME, just for Gauntlet 1 the original, I saw somewhere around 20 different rom sets. Then you have Gauntlet II which had another 5 or 6. So... that being said.

Mame developers made it possible for split or combined sets. Combined sets, means just that, every version is included in ONE zip. In a split set They have the PARENT set, and the 'offspring' if you will. The PARENT set has the MAIN release of the Rom. I believe you mentioned Revision 14 in your post. You had the offspring set for revision 14 of the game. Basically to make it eeasy, the version you have is the DIFFERENCES between that set and the parent set. If you, like many get get entire set of MAME roms, and you had the entire rom set for version 14 and all the other revisions was a full set, it would take up a LOT more space than doing it the efficient way the MAME team deos it.Why repeat over and over what is already done? Good thing you were not looking for Pac-Man, as nothing named Pac-Man will work without either a merged rom or the original Japanese Puck-Man rom.

Mame roms for the classics do not change very often. They DO change from time to time, just not frequently. I am at work typing on my laptop with a small hard drive, and I do have a few classics on my system. Quickest and easiest thing in this situation was to find merged sets and grab the ones I want. I can not tell you where to go to get roms, but there is a place that has a complete merged set, although it is a few versions back. Most DO work, but there are a very few that dont. As mentioned, I can not tell you the web address, if you think of a place that might be a time capsule of information that will hopefully be here long after we are all gone, you will have a pretty good idea.

Edited by sirscotty (02/13/21 03:40 AM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: mame gauntlet new [Re: sirscotty]
#389896 - 02/13/21 04:29 AM

>> Yes....but JoseQ's Emuviews with the weekly RumorMill report was the ticket back in
>> the days.

>Ahhhh the memories!! Remember even before MAME, there was the emulation repository,
>emulators were for a single game. Some of the single emulator games had funny names. The
>Donkulator, the Kongulator etc. SO much fun back then. Niocola Salmoria took his Pac-Man
> emulator, added a few more games to it and called it MAME. The rest is history.

I didn't join in until late spring 2000 on Gridle's old MAME.net forum when version of MAME was .37b2 iirc just about a month or so before the Midway hardware that included MK2 was first emulated.

I missed out on some of the big breakthroughs in late 1990s era, but I am glad a lot had been done by spring 2000.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2747