MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Ryzen 5800X in stock at TigerDirect
#389663 - 01/23/21 03:01 PM

In case anyone is interested. Been hard as hell to find 5000 series in stock. This one is pretty pricy, but Newegg is still out.

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications...ame=retargeting

Was itching to grab one, but just doubled my DDR3 ram, and I still can't get a 6800XT or better video card.

Damn crypto miners

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Ryzen 5800X in stock at TigerDirect new [Re: URherenow]
#389668 - 01/24/21 01:09 AM

TigerDirect still exists?

Wow.

I remember ordering RAM from them decades ago.

Never got it.

They never charged me for it, either, so there's that.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Ryzen 5800X in stock at TigerDirect new [Re: TriggerFin]
#389673 - 01/24/21 05:30 AM

Their offerings are slim because they focus on business machines, rather than gaming/enthusiast. I've ordered from them a few times over the years because Newegg are assholes and charge a bunch extra for shipping to FPO addresses (the actual cost is the same as if you mailed something to your next-door neighbor, but an actual person has to get involved to attach a customs form, rather than the usual automation). So at times when they actually have something I'm looking for, they might be more expensive upfront, but I still get it cheaper when taking shipping costs into account.

This CPU doesn't fall into that category though. It it rather expensive here. RAM is available here and Newegg, and Newegg has a pretty good selection of B550 and X570 motherboards to choose from. Enough to give you a headache while researching which one to get, and figuring out exactly why some are $400+ while others are like $150...

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#389684 - 01/24/21 11:16 PM

> Their offerings are slim because they focus on business machines, rather than
> gaming/enthusiast. I've ordered from them a few times over the years because Newegg
> are assholes and charge a bunch extra for shipping to FPO addresses (the actual cost
> is the same as if you mailed something to your next-door neighbor, but an actual
> person has to get involved to attach a customs form, rather than the usual
> automation). So at times when they actually have something I'm looking for, they
> might be more expensive upfront, but I still get it cheaper when taking shipping
> costs into account.
>
> This CPU doesn't fall into that category though. It it rather expensive here. RAM is
> available here and Newegg, and Newegg has a pretty good selection of B550 and X570
> motherboards to choose from. Enough to give you a headache while researching which
> one to get, and figuring out exactly why some are $400+ while others are like $150...

Yeah, I've gone over that several times.
Be as future-proof as possible: Get a mobo that supports the latest chips, the latest GPUs, gen4 M.2s, has USB C (on the back and a connector for the case), oh, guess that's X570 then, supports more RAM than I need...

Now if I could just find a price difference between RGB and non-RGB stuff, not that I see any non-RGB parts that have what I want.

...Annnd tariffs kick in.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Ryzen 5800X in stock at TigerDirect new [Re: TriggerFin]
#389704 - 01/26/21 03:14 PM

Next AMD chip won't be on AM4, so if future proof is what you want, you don't want to upgrade yet.

Been eyeballing an MSI GP 75 Leopard at my local NEX, thinking A) Wow this laptop is better than my desktop and B) Why the hell are Laptops still on a 20xx-based video chipset? News just now hit regarding MSI 30xx-based laptops. Not thinking about that laptop anymore!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#389712 - 01/27/21 12:31 AM

> Next AMD chip won't be on AM4, so if future proof is what you want, you don't want to
> upgrade yet.
>
> Been eyeballing an MSI GP 75 Leopard at my local NEX, thinking A) Wow this laptop is
> better than my desktop and B) Why the hell are Laptops still on a 20xx-based video
> chipset? News just now hit regarding MSI 30xx-based laptops. Not thinking about that
> laptop anymore!

Might not work for that, but it'll handle the games I'm interested in for the next 5-10 years.

Right now I can't play heavily modded versions of certain games from 5 years ago without them freezing for a couple seconds any time I change tools, scenes, or what-have-you.

I don't intend to get the best GPU, or the fastest CPU, just something in the middle from the latest generation.

Anyway, that next socket is over a year away, from the latest I can find.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 508