MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/30/17
Send PM

2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess?
#389116 - 12/23/20 03:13 AM

Well I guess I will have to start the "end of the year" thread this time. I do wonder what any of you have hopes for this year. My opinions are rather the same as with last year's thread so I can't really say much.

P.S. Sorry if I made this before you could Master O.

-.-

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#389117 - 12/23/20 05:05 AM

> Well I guess I will have to start the "end of the year" thread this time. I do wonder
> what any of you have hopes for this year. My opinions are rather the same as with
> last year's thread so I can't really say much.

You know what I was hoping for? Same as last year - that some idiot wouldn’t make this same stupid thread again. Too late for that now.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Hydreigon]
#389120 - 12/23/20 07:15 AM

Same thing I say EVERY year.... the ORIGINAL Crazy Otto roms, but I know Steve Golson is not releasing them. SO......

I will say the laser disk games. Dragons Lair, Space Ace etc. Yes, I have legal copies, and Daphne. Other non Daphne games like Goal to Go and NFL Football would be nice. Also, the American Laser Games like Mad Dog McCree, Johnny Rock, Crime Patrol and The Last Bounty Hunter. Yes, I know about the Singe emulator. With the Sinden light gun right around the corner, this would be awesome!

Also, I wish SockMaster would release or sell his Donkey Kong Remix roms. Not all of us have room for a DK cabinet. I am getting bored with the Halloween and Christmas version.

hider93228
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/20
Send PM

#389123 - 12/23/20 11:03 AM

Everything that Haze told us a week ago.

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020/12/07/looking-back-at-a-list/

MC68K
Reged: 09/17/05
Send PM

#389124 - 12/23/20 11:10 AM

Oh, maybe some breakthrough with the tatsumi.c gfx, same for namcofl.c (speed racer gfx are wonky), and the megasys1.c weirdness solved.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: sirscotty]
#389126 - 12/23/20 12:23 PM

Ditto.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#389128 - 12/23/20 02:21 PM

> You know what I was hoping for? Same as last year - that some idiot wouldn’t make
> this same stupid thread again. Too late for that now.

Bad day at the office?

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

DOR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/20
Send PM

#389130 - 12/23/20 03:43 PM

Hi

I sure hope that the good MAME people will come up with a GUI version of MAME.
After all,a lot of the gamers who play old school arcade games are in their fifties and even sixties and struggle with the commandline versions.
Many players just like to play video games but give up since MAME is not very "user friendly".
Cheers mates!

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: DOR]
#389131 - 12/23/20 04:32 PM

>

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#389133 - 12/23/20 05:14 PM

> You know what I was hoping for? Same as last year - that some idiot wouldn’t make
> this same stupid thread again. Too late for that now.

And as sure as the sun rises and sets each day, just like this topic comes around every
Christmas i just knew some grumpy "OLD" MAME dev would come along and crap all over it.

I could have picked one or two i thought it would be but certainly after the finger wagging
silliness you started with Brian on the DU threads not that long ago, im in no way surprised
it was your goodself to start the ball rolling here.

As per the thread what would i hope for in MAME/MESS..?? I want nor ask nothing of MAME dev!!!

When the clique of "OLD" timers long past their sell by dates who cling onto the positions of
power with regards to this project and who in turn think that gives them the right to lord it
over both new contributors and users with it seems impunity have moved on to be replaced with
the new blood this preservation society has long been crying out for maybe MAME can then move
forward.

Until then like the "OLD MEN" in charge of the project MAME will remain a relic of a past era
please remove my account with the exception of the great guys connected to the DU i have no
desire to in the same space with regards to some of the people who congregate here and im sure
the feeling is more than mutual.

Arcade Addict

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: gamez fan]
#389136 - 12/23/20 06:39 PM

cuavas grumpy? maybe 2nd place, with your reaction just now you won the grumpy contest

I don't mind this thread at all. I don't have a wishlist for things I want to play. I wish for everyone's health and wellbeing in 2021, seriously.

As for MAME itself, hmm. Off the top of my head, the original Odyssey would be cool to preserve (may be possible to get to playable speed with a netlist).

John IV
IV/Play, MAME, MAMEUI
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Washington, USA
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: DOR]
#389138 - 12/23/20 07:14 PM

Er, just double-click the latest mame64.exe and you've got a GUI. Ever since MAME absorbed a front end's code quite some time ago.

john iv
http://www.mameui.info/

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#389139 - 12/23/20 07:39 PM

> Well I guess I will have to start the "end of the year" thread this time. I do wonder
> what any of you have hopes for this year. My opinions are rather the same as with
>
> P.S. Sorry if I made this before you could Master O.

LOL

Personally speaking, as long as https://caps0ff.blogspot.com/ keeps going with MCU decaps, that's great because a lot of arcade games still need proper MCU decaps and dumps.

I'm more surprised MooglyGuy hasn't started insulting you yet. I see Vas Crabb already has, though...

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#389142 - 12/23/20 08:24 PM

I just hope that some more old proto's show up.

And of course the long awaited laser disc games....

But a big thank you to all the dev's for their time, skills and work they put into it.

Besides we all know that the mame devs have working versions of mame with working laser disc drivers !!! (Joking !! Old thread from years ago! Greg will have to come along and refresh my memory of what driver started that dev conspiracy, neo Geo? Golden tee? Been way to long for me to remember, lol !!)

Only here to annoy...

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Renegade]
#389143 - 12/23/20 10:00 PM

LOL...this will never end! Let's go again:

- Danger Express prototype
- Dump/emulation of Jaleco's Saint Dragon MCU
- Netlist sound support for New Rally-X BANG sound
- Netlist support for Taito's Bazooka (Brazil)/Cross Fire (World)
- Atari GT protection figured out to better support Primal Rage
- A fix for Pit-Fighter vertical gaps at the backgrounds

My list has shortened a lot this year (fortunately)! This is pretty much what I'm hoping for this next year. But I'm very happy with what we have already! Thanks to everybody involved with MAME!

DOR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/20
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: John IV]
#389144 - 12/23/20 11:26 PM

> Er, just double-click the latest mame64.exe and you've got a GUI. Ever since MAME
> absorbed a front end's code quite some time ago.

It's not quite a GUI.
in order to record an inp-file you'd still have to use the commandline, and also to playback an inp-file.
Cheers!

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#389145 - 12/23/20 11:35 PM

First, thanks to all mamedevs for making 2020 such an amazing year with so many great new features and additions.

Here's a top 10 for the new year, in order of "cool factor", borrowing somewhat from previous years:

1. Support for cross-platform (SDL2) rumble effects for systems like the PSX (dualshock), N64 and PokeMini vs. the basic output handler support that currently exists. Would be so great to see even if it seems like such a moonshot now.

2. Model 2 accuracy improvements

3. Macintosh Plus/512 speed fixes to resolve this issue

4. More accurate Cave CV1000B timing

5. BGFX vector bloom

6. Framework for future improvements to BGFX presets (examples include optional auto-assignment of "arcade crt" to arcade systems, "green screen crt" to apple //c and "green screen lcd" to original gameboy)

7. Improvements to high-profile console drivers such as nes (more accurate ppu), pce-cd, atari 5200 and n64 (speed optimizations)

8. Broadened discrete circuitry support to include more DICE games and others such as Monaco G.P.

9. Support for Mattel D&D, an excellent LCD handheld with infinite replayability

10. Proper support for Primal Rage II to put an end to other hacky efforts in existence

As with previous year wish lists, most of these aren't entirely practical and I'm certainly not expecting anything here anyway, though it's fun to imagine.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#389149 - 12/24/20 01:07 AM

1) I'd like to see MK4 graphic bugs fixed
2) I'd like to see improvements done to Vector graphics. Specifically where you can make the Asteroids laser beams glow like in the arcade monitor
3) I'd like to see the IBM PCJR emulation improved
4) I'd like to see Atari 5200 emulation improved

That's all I can think of. Nothing I wish was done urgently, but if I had a whish list

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#389150 - 12/24/20 01:55 AM

>

We've planted the seeds for a lot of things in 2020, so while it's been a bad year for most of the world outside of emulation, there has been a lot of promise within the project.

I can’t say for sure which of these seeds I feel are likely to grow into something in the new year – it’s even possible none of them will, and progress will be seen on things started years before, but as long as new developers continue become involved, and MAME does the things needed to capture the interests of some of the younger audience who might fancy trying their teeth on figuring things out, there is a lot of potential.

On a personal level, I’d like to see the handful of long-term regressions in the project reduced down further; there aren’t many, but it’s always uncomfortable when we have to tell users to use older versions that we know are awful in many other ways. Things like the Microprose 3D sound still being in a regressed state are a shame, and the way MAME handles vector games might need a rethink to properly solve the Major Havoc ‘vanishing enemies’ issue without breaking anything else. Peace of mind in knowing that a new version can be whole-heartedly recommended without a user having any issues would be a wonderful thing, even if there aren’t a huge number of long term ones.

There are a few mid-term regressions that play on my mind too; at some point the Magnet System games got a bit worse, with the Exzisus version hanging / resetting early on now, and I don’t think that’s something I changed, which makes it a bit more annoying to investigate.

I think we will start to see Laserdisc stuff at some point in the next few years, although outside of preservation I have little interest in it, as they represent some of the absolute worst playing arcade games ever, where gameplay was traded away entirely for film-like visuals; I hold no fond memories of any game of that type.

A handful of the things I’d like to see still depend on us being able to pick them up; obscure ‘junk’ handhelds and the like that most people probably threw in the bin a week after buying them, but often have interesting secrets to reveal once you start looking at the code.

I think in terms of things that would be good for MAME, getting some more of the educational systems from the 2000s up and running would help the project, as the age of the people who grew up with them are likely to be of an age where MAME development is a thing that might interest them, and if those things have nostalgic value, might be what bring them to the project when we can’t realistically be emulating platforms such as the PS2 and even PS3, which are both now considered quite Retro.

It would be nice if there was movement on things like multi-channel sound output, support for multiple audio cards at the same time and all sorts of things like that, but even after trying my best to get that running, I couldn’t, and there’s been no sign of anybody becoming involved with a good enough understanding of that side of things to get that working.

The recent work from Vas on artwork system improvements also puts improvements to the Fruit Machines / Non-video Slot Machines more within reach, and with the untimely passing of ‘Wizard’ the author of the most well known emulator for those things it might really be time for MAME to step up a gear and plug the gap that has been left in that community, although there is a lot of catching up to do. It is important for MAME to have a strong reputation in different fields, as again it makes it an attractive project to contribute to.

I’m hopeful the remaining minor Game & Watch software variants will turn up, but again that’s an ‘out of our hands’ matter for at least one of them, where we’re simply relying on somebody identifying that they have a specific version, and allowing it to be used for dumping, rather than trying to charge over the odds for it.

Personally I also hope the Amiga gets a bit of love, it’s a real shame a system like that, with a huge community built around it is in such a bad state, and it’s difficult to understand why, with such a technical community, they’re happy to place all their eggs in one basket with UAE, and seemingly have little interest in improving the MAME emulation on a technical level, even if they’re unlikely to be using it from day to day. I was trying to play some very simple public domain games the other day, and even those were tripping up with severe audio issues.

I don’t expect anything however, but things that help build bridges with new communities, especially technical ones, and thus help the project, ensuring it has a solid future, are always going to be good to see.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: gamez fan]
#389151 - 12/24/20 02:12 AM

> And as sure as the sun rises and sets each day, just like this topic comes around
> every
> Christmas i just knew some grumpy "OLD" MAME dev would come along and crap all over
> it.
>
> I could have picked one or two i thought it would be but certainly after the finger
> wagging
> silliness you started with Brian on the DU threads not that long ago, im in no way
> surprised
> it was your goodself to start the ball rolling here.
>
> As per the thread what would i hope for in MAME/MESS..?? I want nor ask nothing of
> MAME dev!!!
>
> When the clique of "OLD" timers long past their sell by dates who cling onto the
> positions of
> power with regards to this project and who in turn think that gives them the right to
> lord it
> over both new contributors and users with it seems impunity have moved on to be
> replaced with
> the new blood this preservation society has long been crying out for maybe MAME can
> then move
> forward.
>
> Until then like the "OLD MEN" in charge of the project MAME will remain a relic of a
> past era
> please remove my account with the exception of the great guys connected to the DU i
> have no
> desire to in the same space with regards to some of the people who congregate here
> and im sure
> the feeling is more than mutual.

My agreement with your statement is...undefined. It's too bad I can't say "I love you" in a rather specific way.

-.-

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: MC68K]
#389152 - 12/24/20 02:14 AM

> Oh, maybe some breakthrough with the tatsumi.c gfx, same for namcofl.c (speed racer
> gfx are wonky), and the megasys1.c weirdness solved.

The reason for Speed Racer's graphics glitches was said to be due to a bad rom dump. Idk if anyone that has a pcb can redump all the roms.

Haze
Send PM

#389153 - 12/24/20 02:38 AM

> > You know what I was hoping for? Same as last year - that some idiot wouldn’t make
> > this same stupid thread again. Too late for that now.
>
> And as sure as the sun rises and sets each day, just like this topic comes around
> every
> Christmas i just knew some grumpy "OLD" MAME dev would come along and crap all over
> it.
>
> I could have picked one or two i thought it would be but certainly after the finger
> wagging
> silliness you started with Brian on the DU threads not that long ago, im in no way
> surprised
> it was your goodself to start the ball rolling here.
>
> As per the thread what would i hope for in MAME/MESS..?? I want nor ask nothing of
> MAME dev!!!
>
> When the clique of "OLD" timers long past their sell by dates who cling onto the
> positions of
> power with regards to this project and who in turn think that gives them the right to
> lord it
> over both new contributors and users with it seems impunity have moved on to be
> replaced with
> the new blood this preservation society has long been crying out for maybe MAME can
> then move
> forward.
>
> Until then like the "OLD MEN" in charge of the project MAME will remain a relic of a
> past era
> please remove my account with the exception of the great guys connected to the DU i
> have no
> desire to in the same space with regards to some of the people who congregate here
> and im sure
> the feeling is more than mutual.

you do realise Vas's direct involvement is relatively recent, right? He isn't somebody I would consider one of the old devs at all.

Haze
Send PM

#389155 - 12/24/20 03:13 AM

>

I still think it would be far better to celebrate the things that we have done over the year instead.

In terms of gaming related stuff, there's been a near constant flow of screenshots added to my page at https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020-fully-embracing-the-new-vision/ over the year, with many still not having any coverage at all, and non-gaming work unfortunately not getting much of a mention at all yet simply due to lack of time to cover it.

My YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/mamehaze) is also loaded with videos of things from this year, that I've felt interesting enough, or in some cases bad enough, to highlight with some basic video coverage.

As others have said, this "but what else" sentiment does tend to wear people down after a while, especially when we've been working our socks off on what has been a very tough year mentally for many of those involved. Celebrate what has been done, not what hasn't.

Haze
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: hider93228]
#389156 - 12/24/20 03:27 AM

> Everything that Haze told us a week ago.
>
> https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020/12/07/looking-back-at-a-list/

another AnimalBear account? how many is that now 200?

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Master O]
#389159 - 12/24/20 04:36 AM

I personally consider this type of thread end of the year tradition. Sure there are some haters out there but this thread has been nice so far.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Andrew]
#389160 - 12/24/20 04:58 AM

> > You know what I was hoping for? Same as last year - that some idiot wouldn’t make
> > this same stupid thread again. Too late for that now.
>
> Bad day at the office?

This thread comes up every year. For the most part it brings out the same bunch of goons wishing for the same things that they have no intention/capability to contribute to. It clogs up the board and forces down other threads that are often more interesting. It’s a waste of space.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Haze]
#389161 - 12/24/20 05:01 AM

> As others have said, this "but what else" sentiment does tend to wear people down
> after a while, especially when we've been working our socks off on what has been a
> very tough year mentally for many of those involved. Celebrate what has been done,
> not what hasn't.

This.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#389162 - 12/24/20 05:07 AM

> I personally consider this type of thread end of the year tradition. Sure there are
> some haters out there but this thread has been nice so far.

Being a tradition doesn’t make it a good tradition. It’s a waste of space beating the same dead horses every year.

hider93228
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/20
Send PM

#389166 - 12/24/20 10:38 AM

> > Everything that Haze told us a week ago.
> >
> > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020/12/07/looking-back-at-a-list/
>
> another AnimalBear account? how many is that now 200?

Stop bullying me.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

"Do you realize the people up here [first class] are getting cookies?" new [Re: Renegade]
#389167 - 12/24/20 12:52 PM

--
"Do you realize the people up here [first class] are getting cookies?"

https://youtu.be/UcH69hwvnv4?t=82

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcH69hwvnv4

-

Another memorable quote from Seinfeld tv show that always seems to hit the spot when making fun of real life events brought about by the likes of creator/producer Larry David.

>Besides we all know that the mame devs have working versions of mame with working laser
>disc drivers !!! (Joking !! Old thread from years ago! Greg will have to come along and
>refresh my memory of what driver started that dev conspiracy, neo Geo? Golden tee? Been
>way to long for me to remember, lol !!)

The old 'test driver' concept, before that was done away with back in 2002 or 2003, somewhat brings me back to tv show character Elaine's memorable comment on the tv show series.

I don't recall who brought up that 'test driver' conspiracy back in the old days on Gridle/Santeri's old MAME.net website forums. I wouldn't be surprised if it was started by PacDude since PacDude almost always started controversial threads on old MAME.net forums. What was somewhat more memorable around the time, maybe a year or two earlier, was the numerous gripes when Dave / FinalBurn had stopped supporting CPS-2 games in March or April 2001. Lots of upset 'kidz' back then.

What's needed in case anyone around here acts up is Conan O' Brien's Naughty Land. As Conan says: "Kids. You do not want to go to Naughty Land."

https://youtu.be/WFHKnq5MQb0?t=362

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHKnq5MQb0

Conan's All Kids Audience Show - "Late Night With Conan O’Brien"

Original Air Date (8/8/97) Conan tapes a special episode of "Late Night with Conan O’Brien" for an audience made up entirely of children.
-

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: hap]
#389168 - 12/24/20 01:21 PM

> I don't have a wishlist for things I want to play.

iirc You helped yourself out with this item. ;-) If I got the wrong name, my bad, but I thought it was this one that was added earlier in the year.

CONS( 1979, qfire, 0, 0, qfire, qfire, qfire_state, empty_init, "Electroplay", "Quickfire", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE | MACHINE_CLICKABLE_ARTWORK )

As have posted earlier this year, my thanks to getting Microvision up and running in MAME. I spent many days in 1979 year playing Blockbuster. I never got around to buying other cartridges of other Microvision games because Blockbuster was good enough.

CONS( 1979, microvsn, 0, 0, microvision, microvision, microvision_state, empty_init, "Milton Bradley", "Microvision", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE | MACHINE_REQUIRES_ARTWORK )

>As for MAME itself, hmm. Off the top of my head, the original Odyssey would be cool to
> preserve (may be possible to get to playable speed with a netlist).

Your great long extended Odyssey2 rewrites, bugfixes, and updates earlier this year probably turned you off of Odyssey related items for a while. *kidding*

If anyone decides to work on that, [Odyssey] good luck to them. Even though that was around in early 1970s, I didn't know anyone personally back then that had that since it was very expensive at the time. Maybe one of my [older] sister's friends had that...probably a family household purchase iirc. The only early 1970s era electronic game I had was a led Texas Instruments calculator and it only displayed numbers.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#389169 - 12/24/20 01:56 PM

>I still think it would be far better to celebrate the things that we have done over the
>year instead.

There's still time [another week] for someone to do a 'Gameshow Host' style post poll/thread used to do and ask: "What 2020 memorable achievements happened in MAME that you didn't expect to happen".

-
Gameshow Host https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...hat=showmembers
-

> In terms of gaming related stuff, there's been a near constant flow of screenshots added
>to my page at https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020-fully-embracing-the-new-vision/ over
> the year, with many still not having any coverage at all, and non-gaming work
>unfortunately not getting much of a mention at all yet simply due to lack of time to
> cover it.

Besides the analog audio work of this year already being mentioned, the Votrax SC-01 updates along with Aaron's audio output stream updates is my own take of what was important for this year in case no one else has brought those up yet.

And the recent romset support of non-cpu videogame Fun Games BiPlane was my thing since it allowed info of Mirco Games Sky War to be added along with Fun Games Tankers future rom documentation to be added to fungames.cpp source file. Hopefully roms from a Sky War 'memory' pcb or roms from a Tankers 'memory' pcb will turn up in the future....assuming those particular pcbs can still be found in this day and age. Tankers, I believe so...but not certain about Sky War even though Sky War is really a clone of BiPlane.

>As others have said, this "but what else" sentiment does tend to wear people down after a
>while, especially when we've been working our socks off on what has been a very tough
>year mentally for many of those involved. Celebrate what has been done, not what hasn't.

As I see it these days, my take is users want to see and read what other users thoughts are instead of presenting some 'demand' list. I am glad the era of CPS-2, CPS-3, Gaelco mcu is now done with even though alternate versions have yet to be found of some of the games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#389170 - 12/24/20 02:47 PM

>My opinions are rather the same as with last year's thread so I can't really say much.

One thing that won't need to be appearing these days from Gyrovision's old posts.

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTMow2Sn67A

Votrax SC-01-A Speech Synthesizer Apr 22, 2008
--

I'll miss seeing the video clip link appear annually which is why I am bringing it up one final time in 'wish' list thread as a tribute to Gyro, but I am grateful it no longer needs to appear on 'wish' list in future years.

What I am grateful to see happen this year:

analog audio work
Votrax sc-01 improvements
Aaron's update of MAME audio output streaming
BiPlane rom set appearing because it got fungames.cpp file updated :-)

Bug fixes that got fruit machine emulation underway, long time Rampart back to working shape. Also allowed forum visitors to get acquainted with actor Louis Nye's 1960s era comedy work.

My predictions for next year:

netlist related work
Apple II software lists updates (along with many others hash list file updates)
SGI hardware updates
various plug and play updates
more chessboard hardware emulation
ClawGrip, Team Europe adding more European items
AJR or OG adding more various components
ASCII pcb hardware documentation
any computer work from Pernod, RB, Robbbert
Capsoff mcu decap work

more artwork support from contributors with the belief that maybe a Ramtek Hit Me upright bezel might be supported artwork sometime next year and also Ramtek Clean Sweep bezel and other items.

>I do wonder what any of you have hopes for [next] year.

any type of netlist emulation work (audio, non-cpu games, more ttl components being added )

and also non-cpu videogames roms being dumped, documented, supported if not yet playable: Midway Leader roms (Ramtek Wipe Out is already supported), PSE Maneater and Knights in Armor, Electra's Flying Fortress unless already supported.

Fairlight brand synth being fully playable or any of the Casio brand musical equipment just as well.

any old software such as Tandy version of KQ I
and also Electronic Transit's game of Wilderness (Apple II or IBM) because being bitten and killed off (game over) by a purple/pink color rattlesnake (from IBM CGA graphics) is the way to go.

Edited by gregf (12/24/20 05:17 PM)

Haze
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: hider93228]
#389172 - 12/24/20 03:02 PM

> > > Everything that Haze told us a week ago.
> > >
> > > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2020/12/07/looking-back-at-a-list/
> >
> > another AnimalBear account? how many is that now 200?
>
> Stop bullying me.

Well you evaded a ban and your very 2nd post here was insulting MameWorld while pretending to be a 'noob'
https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=mamechat&Number=389105

I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting. It's not up to me if they ban this account too, but your behaviour isn't changing.

Pernod
Lurker
Reged: 01/12/04
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: gregf]
#389176 - 12/24/20 04:42 PM

>
> My predictions for next year:
>
> any computer work from Pernod, RB, Robbbert
>

I have lots on my todo list, so plenty to look forward to.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Renegade]
#389177 - 12/24/20 05:09 PM

>I just hope that some more old proto's show up.

Not a proto, but somewhat unique.

Tsururin Kun. A medal game where you steal rice balls while an old monk isn’t looking.

https://twitter.com/PhilBennett3D/status/1341912452720599041

https://twitter.com/PhilBennett3D/status/1341913204054626304

Thinking about those balls.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ep9u6V9UwAQpT3C?format=jpg&name=small

Balls, balls, balls, balls, balls, balls, balls, balls, balls...

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Pernod]
#389178 - 12/24/20 05:15 PM

>> My predictions for next year:
>> any computer work from Pernod, RB, Robbbert

>I have lots on my todo list, so plenty to look forward to.

BBC etc, etc. Good work on the various items. I am still somewhat amazed Mindset computer system was emulated last year since it is a unique system.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: Hydreigon]
#389180 - 12/24/20 07:02 PM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: sirscotty]
#389181 - 12/24/20 07:21 PM

This kind of shit. It's exactly what infuriates MAME developers, and why these kinds of threads are bullshit.

There are two different situations here.

One is that the printed documentation on the boards happens to claim that one background color is correct.

Meanwhile, there's evidence based on analyzing the individual PCBs that many of them had another color.

You people piss and moan as if it's us MAME devs who are ultimately responsible for you not having the luxury of playing the game like how you remember.

That's great that you're so passionate about Gorf, but if you really care that much, go track down some original developers and talk to them or track down some original hardware engineers and talk to them, and then get back to us with a clear-cut answer as to what the "intended" background color was meant to be. Because the current evidence is entirely unclear, and you people are bitching at us over something that we didn't control at the time, because we don't own a fucking DeLorean. At the end of the day, no matter which color we choose to be "correct", people will piss and moan about it.

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: No thread like this for next year new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#389182 - 12/24/20 08:59 PM

> This thread comes up every year. For the most part it brings out the same bunch of
> goons wishing for the same things that they have no intention/capability to
> contribute to. It clogs up the board and forces down other threads that are often
> more interesting. It’s a waste of space.

It's possible Vas said something like this last year but I myself didn't notice.

While I do have an intention to contribute, it's been causing more harm than good from my end. In my opinion, learning how to decipher program rom code is a greater requirement as opposed to learning to code in C++. My attempts to learn the former have all failed.

For example, we have the gun controls in Operation: Thunder Hurricane. The best way for me to figure that out is to dive into its I/O 68k program containing gun logic and network/serial via custom to communicate with the main board.

I probably could have continued but Mame is currently failing to compile from my end due to a "cc1plus.exe out of memory allocating x bytes". This started to happen after the emumem cleanup and I have a feeling some others may have this issue too.

Doosh
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/02/09
Send PM

#389184 - 12/24/20 11:39 PM

> I just hope that some more old proto's show up.
>
> And of course the long awaited laser disc games....
>
> But a big thank you to all the dev's for their time, skills and work they put into
> it.
>
> Besides we all know that the mame devs have working versions of mame with working
> laser disc drivers !!! (Joking !! Old thread from years ago! Greg will have to come
> along and refresh my memory of what driver started that dev conspiracy, neo Geo?
> Golden tee? Been way to long for me to remember, lol !!)

Hopefully more prototype stuff like Marble Man ... etc before the games a lost forever for reasons.

But most of all, just thanking the MAME development team and anyone else involved in the preservation of the old classics.

Merry Christmas to all.

D

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#389186 - 12/25/20 01:56 AM

..the end of the "What do you want next year?" threads.

They were fun at one point, but it's starting to get stale to the point that the horse is well past dead and.. frankly, past zombie and into lich at this point.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#389189 - 12/25/20 05:39 AM

You know, if you don’t like the way MAME is being managed at the moment, you can fork it. It’s Open Source/Free Software as defined by the OSI and the FSF. Get some of your Dumping Union buddies to help get the ball rolling. If the problem is the old timers, you’ll attract that “young blood” and quickly overtake MAME to become the preferred emulator for everything.

Your complaints about “old men” show a lack of maturity on your part. Although there’s no direct benefit to being old as such, you don’t build up decades of experience without getting old in the process. There are a lot of lessons to learn on the way to reaching a point where you can effectively manage a large software project with decades of history. MAME has had to grow up to remain viable.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389193 - 12/25/20 08:05 AM

LOL, are you trying to use "OLD" as some kind of insult? This project is mostly for us OLD folks that grew up with these systems back in the 80's and 90's. I think you're barking at the wrong crowd. And we have no shame in being "old"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF new [Re: sirscotty]
#389195 - 12/25/20 09:01 AM

Gorf colors and the long time red shade color of the apple video output of Mr. Do Two of the more memorable color output issues either mentioned on old MAME.net forums and here as well. iirc Mr. Do red color output may have been resolved a long time ago, but it was an ongoing occasional topic on the forums for a few years.

Here are some detailed video output work updates that involved couriersud's work. The work on the Williams games is interesting by itself. If the monitors used with Midway Astrocade hardware is same monitor model used with some of the Williams games, maybe a similar approach can be done? I am unsure which monitors were used with Williams games and Midway Astrocade hardware.

--
2019-05-12

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=4be4bb12e983c6e4effba4e8c5e462fae2c59581

src/mame/video/galaga.cpp

2019-05-07

tutankham: Implement starfield, better colors. [Guru, Couriersud]

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=1c0ed14c006d68b1b45616ddaed7472f52fddc41

2020-03-02

Use netlist to calculate RGB values for Turkey Shoot. [Couriersud]
This example shows how the netlist tools can be used to derive
RGB tables from a schematic. All steps are given in
serc/lib/netlist/examples/turkey_shoot.cpp

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=cf2d6a83931a001b736792a521eb91d3f1fbd336

2020-03-05

williams.cpp: Improve williams2 color display. [Couriersud]
Change color levels for williams2 hardware to better color display.
Output levels are computed in netlist. These levels are aligned to
LTspice modelling I did.
Also improved the modelling to do what the actual hardware for mysticm
did: Color decoding depends on W13..W11. These are actually flip screen
versions of V13..V11. Fixed treatment on Bit0 although not used by the
game code.
Added R,G,B gain and offset sliders for the williams2 hardware. MAME
only supports one setting for all channels. This is not good enough
to come close to video recordings found on youtube.

Minor changes to nltool to better measure time taken to run a
simulation.

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=354c9c363b17fc4b77a8ed7bf199b2e248259317

2020-03-07

Williams2: Improve color processing. [Couriersud]
offsets now cut off before gain is applied. This is how the "cutoff"
monitor controls on arcade monitors worked. Adjusted R,G,B gains and
offsets.

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=7501b2e74242b6b5e8cf84a70f92cc1207389b5f

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Shoegazr]
#389196 - 12/25/20 09:22 AM

>8. Broadened discrete circuitry support to include more DICE games and others such as Monaco G.P.

This year [2020] was very good in seeing more components being fixed or supported. Besides the great analog audio work, I overlooked couriersud's video output work from earlier this year in which some of the Williams games fans can do a little more fine-tuning of the color output of some Williams brand game.

7n004
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/11/19
Send PM

#389197 - 12/25/20 10:00 AM

I hope for the 1981 Polybius machine emulation.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#389198 - 12/25/20 10:56 AM

Holy crap!! Merry Christmas to you too Karen! It is a known problem, and has been for a long time.

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=2682

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389205 - 12/25/20 10:45 PM

Wow, you just ignored everything that a MAME DEV stated and posted this dumb shit anyway....that takes a special kind of stupid.

Edited by Envisaged0ne (12/25/20 10:55 PM)

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#389206 - 12/25/20 11:16 PM

> > 8. Broadened discrete circuitry support to include more DICE games and others such
> as Monaco G.P.
>
> This year [2020] was very good in seeing more components being fixed or supported.
> Besides the great analog audio work, I overlooked couriersud's video output work from
> earlier this year in which some of the Williams games fans can do a little more
> fine-tuning of the color output of some Williams brand game.

Oh definitely, I've been so impressed and blown away by all these amazing improvements thanks to couriersud, aaron and others. Not even counting all the other achievements in 2020. It's sweetened such an otherwise bitter and difficult year as it has been for me and so many others.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#389208 - 12/26/20 06:59 AM

> Wow, you just ignored everything that a MAME DEV stated and posted this dumb shit
> anyway....that takes a special kind of stupid.

Wow.... Obviously You did not read the link I posted. You jumped to conclusions. If you would read what I posted, you would see that the MISTer FPGA has no problems with the correct color. That is emulating on a HARDWARE level. If you got past that, and made it to the bottom of the post, and compared it to what is in MAME you would see that it looks like a bad rom. Compare the color in with the bad rom, and to what we have in MAME. It really does not take a brain surgeon to see the connection.

See what you think Dr. Dummy.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/gorf-help-blue-color-problem.336108/

Edited by sirscotty (12/26/20 07:02 AM)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#389210 - 12/26/20 08:58 AM

Ok, let me quote what the MAME DEV TOLD YOU....

"One is that the printed documentation on the boards happens to claim that one background color is correct.

Meanwhile, there's evidence based on analyzing the individual PCBs that many of them had another color."

NOTHING you posted would dispute that point. Again FUCKING READ what is told to you and UNDERSTAND what you POST

You think the devs here are just ignorant idiots? They do a lot of research and work with highly skilled people to emulate these games. You act like a stupid forum post makes you smarter than them. Here's a hint...you're not

Edited by Envisaged0ne (12/26/20 09:01 AM)

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#389211 - 12/26/20 04:37 PM

I hope for... nothing.

I already have a million games to play and little time.

alfman
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/05/08
Send PM

#389213 - 12/26/20 08:28 PM

For me the following would be some Dreams to come true

Cruis'n Exotica in a playable state
&
Cruis'n USA/Cruis'n World Link Setup (Network)

Keep ALL healthy :-)

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

MAMETesters Bug ID 05052 Fix Integrated... new [Re: Hydreigon]
#389214 - 12/26/20 09:38 PM

"... changing the blue radarscp_net_info from RES_NET_AMP_EMITTER to RES_NET_AMP_DARLINGTON on line 133 of video/dkong.cpp".

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5052

ClawGrip
Reged: 10/19/03
Send PM

#389216 - 12/27/20 12:08 AM

* The PIC fully hooked up on Gaelco FUTBOL-3 hardware (with correct samples triggering).
* A full dump of Gaelco/Falgas "El Coche Fantástico".
* A dump of "Action Hollywood" PIC.
* Sega Toylet

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#389218 - 12/27/20 01:00 AM

I just love a good argument about which is the right colour so i'm thinking of doing my kitchen in baby blue, well i think it's called baby blue it says so on the tin. Can y'all decide which blue works best with my pink cupboards. Thanks & looking forward to all sarcastic replies.

Nate
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/19/10
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: agard]
#389228 - 12/27/20 11:45 AM

Had to sorry

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#389229 - 12/27/20 01:53 PM

> > Wow, you just ignored everything that a MAME DEV stated and posted this dumb shit
> > anyway....that takes a special kind of stupid.
>
> Wow.... Obviously You did not read the link I posted. You jumped to conclusions. If
> you would read what I posted, you would see that the MISTer FPGA has no problems with
> the correct color. That is emulating on a HARDWARE level. If you got past that, and
> made it to the bottom of the post, and compared it to what is in MAME you would see
> that it looks like a bad rom. Compare the color in with the bad rom, and to what we
> have in MAME. It really does not take a brain surgeon to see the connection.
>
> See what you think Dr. Dummy.
>
> https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/gorf-help-blue-color-problem.336108/

The comments in the MiSTer implementation say:

Code:

-- Patch Gorf background colour (looks more like real machine)

and

Code:

-- hardware injects 4 levels into Y line, thus increasing luminosity
-- It can also clamp Y line to GND, thus blacking it out
-- this is not so easy to do in RGB land, so use custom colours to look more like real hardware

And then they have just typed in specific RGB colors that they wanted.

It's not a case of "it's fpga which means it's hardware which means it's correct".

Haze
Send PM

Re: Correct colors in GORF. NT new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#389230 - 12/27/20 03:40 PM

> > > Wow, you just ignored everything that a MAME DEV stated and posted this dumb shit
> > > anyway....that takes a special kind of stupid.
> >
> > Wow.... Obviously You did not read the link I posted. You jumped to conclusions. If
> > you would read what I posted, you would see that the MISTer FPGA has no problems
> with
> > the correct color. That is emulating on a HARDWARE level. If you got past that, and
> > made it to the bottom of the post, and compared it to what is in MAME you would see
> > that it looks like a bad rom. Compare the color in with the bad rom, and to what we
> > have in MAME. It really does not take a brain surgeon to see the connection.
> >
> > See what you think Dr. Dummy.
> >
> > https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/gorf-help-blue-color-problem.336108/
>
> The comments in the MiSTer implementation say:
>
>
> -- Patch Gorf background colour (looks more like real machine)
>
>
> and
>
> -- hardware injects 4 levels into Y line, thus increasing luminosity
> -- It can also clamp Y line to GND, thus blacking it out
> -- this is not so easy to do in RGB land, so use custom colours to look more like
> real hardware
>
>
> And then they have just typed in specific RGB colors that they wanted.
>
> It's not a case of "it's fpga which means it's hardware which means it's correct".

Indeed, I wish people understood this. This is late 90s era hackery in MAME-land. Just because it's an FPGA doesn't magically mean it's correct otherwise every piece of bootleg hardware ever made would have been a perfect clone too.

It's the same for stuff with discrete sound, I've heard people say how much more amazing Mister is on some games, but they're using samples, not emulating anything, and it only sounds better because people are expecting to hear those samples, which are in reality less accurate than MMAE's current emulation.

They're good bits of kit, but they're really no less prone to people cheating / taking shortcuts etc. than anywhere else is. (and it's a shame the scene around them is so highly commercial in terms of people expecting to be paid just to port things)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#389231 - 12/27/20 09:10 PM

>

More slot machines to annoy the haters.

Edit: "haters", meaning the "MAME is for arcade games only" crowd that moan every single time a gambling game (in some cases, even an amusement-only gambling-themed game), console game, handheld or an ancient PC (etc.) is added to MAME.

Edited by Heihachi_73 (12/27/20 09:15 PM)

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

#389269 - 12/30/20 12:03 PM

My wishlist is the same as it was with just a few additions.

-Atari Games: Area 51 Site 4, Primal Rage 2, and Metal Maniax
-Sega Games: Improvements in sega model 1, model 2, and model 3 and get them promoted to working status
-Just noticed Virtua Fighter (sega model 1 game) was demoted as not working. Hopefully someone will make improvements and fix the emulation for this game so it can be re-promoted to working status again.
-Namco Games: Improvements in Namco System 10, System 21, System 22, and System 23.
-Let's hope to see this game get promoted to working status
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBhA_9KiQ0
-Laserdisc games: Star Rider and Galaxian 3.
-VR arcade games: Pac-Man VR and Missile Command VR improvements
-improvements in Magic the Gathering Armageddon, Quake arcade tournament
-improvements in Konami Cobra hardware game: Fighting Bujutsu
-improvements in Konami polygonet games: Polynet Warriors, Polygonet Commanders
-improvements in Hyper Neo Geo 64 games.
-More 90s Mario arcade games such as Mario Undōkai and Būbū Mario.

But the only difference is the MESS side.

-improvements and better accurate emulation for these consoles: Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD, and 3DO.
-improvements in FM7,FM7AV, PC-88, and PC-98 hopefully get promoted to working status
-improvements in FM Towns and hopefully get promoted to working status
-add save state support for the sharp systems like Sharp X1 and Sharp x68000.
-Add tool-assisted features such as re-recording to official Mame.

That's pretty all I have. If not 2021, then hopefully it will be done sometime later in the future.
-

MetalGod
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/26/18
Send PM

#389277 - 12/30/20 06:16 PM

- Taito F3 graphic improvements
- Konami M2 fixed timing
- Model 1 recent breakage being fixed
- Network support for more racing games.

At the same time I would like to thank the mame team for this year. The emulation achievements I like the most this year were:

- Fixing Chase bombers graphics
- Netlist audio improvements
- Megaplay improved to working status
- Mouse Trap audio fixed
- Renegade speed issues being finally solved
- Night Slashers blending effects being emulated
- Surprise attack turning background fixed
- Final Star Force title intro scroll fixed
- Remaining graphics effect in seta2 driver emulated
..... and many more !!!!

Edited by MetalGod (12/30/20 06:43 PM)

Hydreigon
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: MetalGod]
#389366 - 01/02/21 09:19 PM

> - Taito F3 graphic improvements
> - Konami M2 fixed timing
> - Model 1 recent breakage being fixed
> - Network support for more racing games.

Emulation of the ARCNet protocol is something I am curious to know how it would be done. Not even the Amiga systems have their ARCNet cards emulated.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#389554 - 01/12/21 05:32 PM

> > - Taito F3 graphic improvements
> > - Konami M2 fixed timing
> > - Model 1 recent breakage being fixed
> > - Network support for more racing games.
>
> Emulation of the ARCNet protocol is something I am curious to know how it would be
> done. Not even the Amiga systems have their ARCNet cards emulated.

This being MAME we wouldn't emulate the protocol, we'd emulate the PHY layer and the emulated game code takes care of the rest. Much like SailorSat's work on the Sega games.

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

#389561 - 01/13/21 09:14 PM

Fix emulation of street fighter 2 bootlegs (like M1-M9)
Emulation of PIC16C57 and EM78P447AP
Fix emulation of Seibu cup soccer and Zero Team USA

And other fixes

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

2021's already here [nt] new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#389563 - 01/13/21 09:26 PM

> Fix emulation of street fighter 2 bootlegs (like M1-M9)
> Emulation of PIC16C57 and EM78P447AP
> Fix emulation of Seibu cup soccer and Zero Team USA
>
> And other fixes

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: sirscotty]
#396680 - 07/13/23 08:03 PM

> Same thing I say EVERY year....

> Other non Daphne games like Goal to Go and NFL Football would be nice.

This popped up in my YouTube today, a working version of Goal to Go, not MAME obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiT7YbP_TfA

Can't see a release of it yet though....

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: hunkpap]
#396682 - 07/13/23 08:56 PM

> Other non Daphne games like Goal to Go and NFL Football would be nice.

> This popped up in my YouTube today, a working version of Goal to Go, not MAME obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiT7YbP_TfA

>Can't see a release of it yet though...

Unless there is some way to be able to handle media hardware, it won’t be anytime soon. The video is not from a laserdisc such as used with Dragons Lair etc, but a different type of media device format. It is the same with games using VHS or Beta videotapes or other magnetic media such as 8 track media cartridges which were used for storing quiz questions for 1970s era video games.

Consider it fortunate that a few laser disc games are supported at this time like Time Travelers. There has been support for a few coinop games that use floppy support that are also supported such Sega 24 hardware and the coinop game system from Spain that uses floppy diskettes for game data storage and lastly the DECO cassette system.

Unfortunately the Stern game uses offbeat technology. Williams Star Rider is a different game, butalso has unique pcb operation features that have yet to be determined.

hunkpap
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/07/22
Send PM

#396684 - 07/13/23 10:00 PM

> > Other non Daphne games like Goal to Go and NFL Football would be nice.
>
> > This popped up in my YouTube today, a working version of Goal to Go, not MAME
> obviously:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiT7YbP_TfA
>
> > Can't see a release of it yet though...
>
> Unless there is some way to be able to handle media hardware, it won’t be anytime
> soon. The video is not from a laserdisc such as used with Dragons Lair etc, but a
> different type of media device format. It is the same with games using VHS or Beta
> videotapes or other magnetic media such as 8 track media cartridges which were used
> for storing quiz questions for 1970s era video games.
>
> Consider it fortunate that a few laser disc games are supported at this time like
> Time Travelers. There has been support for a few coinop games that use floppy support
> that are also supported such Sega 24 hardware and the coinop game system from Spain
> that uses floppy diskettes for game data storage and lastly the DECO cassette system.
>
> Unfortunately the Stern game uses offbeat technology. Williams Star Rider is a
> different game, butalso has unique pcb operation features that have yet to be
> determined.

Goal to Goal was laserdisc, the above appears to use the Daphne engine.

NFL Football was the weird failed CED (video on vinyl !!) format - that I doubt will ever raise its head....

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: 2021's Almost Here: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: hunkpap]
#396685 - 07/14/23 04:30 PM

> NFL Football was the weird failed CED (video on vinyl !!) format - that I doubt will ever raise its head.

I forgot the name of which game myself, but yep this in the impossible category for now although there had been past breakthroughs over the years.

> Goal to Goal was laserdisc, the above appears to use the Daphne engine.

This one a better chance because of Simon’s product.

https://www.domesday86.com/ home page

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978 Domesday Duplicator product

The pcb and cab hardware used with game might be a challenge to emulate. The other challenge is anyone that is working capturing data signals from the laserdisc might need access to multiple discs of the game in order to create best quality data as possible of a laserdisc game since some laserdiscs data are probably worn out without any way to capture the data. Doing the laserdisc stuff requires someone that can do that type of work.

Since troll users in Reddit forums trashed the Time Traveler work in 2022, don’t expect any more laserdisc work for some time.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1983