MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SYS5962065
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/18/20
Send PM

Software ROM/PROM documentation in Mame Question.
#389052 - 12/18/20 11:24 PM

Just curious (its my first post so be kind) was the reason the Guru was able to dump all those boards for the project, was due to him residing in Australia?

Since 2005 it is legal in Australia to break copy protections for regional use, and the addendums of the Library of Congress in relation to software archiving, via the exclusions of the DMCA of the relevant year.

If we go by the Microsoft analogy that software is hardware and hardware is software, in regards to inactive IPs, where the project was able to fix errors in game systems to the benefit own their respective creators, how does the ROM/PROM software get documented exactly?

If for example, I created a game back in the day that I coded for old arcade boards, that could generate revenue for operators. Roll on 20 years or so and the game gets dumped for inclusion into the project.

Lets say the code I created was flawed and did not work after two levels, but the team found the error and changed it (creating a revision) to access the later levels of the game.

Where would the change, the original code, and the hardware documentation be stored? With the maintainer, or as a Collective/Librarian?

Also if the software was dumped and distributed on various distributions, what legal arm of the project would be responsible? (asking for a friend)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Software ROM/PROM documentation in Mame Question. new [Re: SYS5962065]
#389059 - 12/19/20 04:32 PM

> Just curious (its my first post so be kind) was the reason the Guru was able to dump
> all those boards for the project, was due to him residing in Australia?

No

> If we go by the Microsoft analogy that software is hardware and hardware is software,
> in regards to inactive IPs, where the project was able to fix errors in game systems
> to the benefit own their respective creators, how does the ROM/PROM software get
> documented exactly?

The MAME team does not do this.

> If for example, I created a game back in the day that I coded for old arcade boards,
> that could generate revenue for operators. Roll on 20 years or so and the game gets
> dumped for inclusion into the project.
>
> Lets say the code I created was flawed and did not work after two levels, but the
> team found the error and changed it (creating a revision) to access the later levels
> of the game.

The MAME team does not do this.

> Also if the software was dumped and distributed on various distributions, what legal
> arm of the project would be responsible? (asking for a friend)

The MAME team does not handle distributing ROMs.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Software ROM/PROM documentation in Mame Question. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#389064 - 12/20/20 01:37 AM

You know when he says it's his 1st post and to be kind, that it's liable to annoy people. And asking about the legality of a ROM...Who does that sound like?

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

SYS5962065
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/18/20
Send PM

Re: Software ROM/PROM documentation in Mame Question. new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#389067 - 12/20/20 06:50 AM

>
Quote:

You know when he says it's his 1st post and to be kind, that it's liable to annoy
> people. And asking about the legality of a ROM...Who does that sound like?

Sounds like someone who is curious what happens to the ROMS/PROMS after they get dumped, by the Guru, who is a Mamedev (an extremely skilled one too).

His site describes how dumped images from boards purchased from donors, that get emulated eventually in MAME software.

Which is perfectly legitimate for hardware preservation, nobody is questioning that or have done so for more than twenty years. If anyone objected the community would have known by now.

My friend's question is generally basic. How does the ROM/PROM get to the general public when the original board is extremely rare or unique and has been dumped by the Guru?

This article was of interest.

I researched this section that was somewhat confusing since the majority of the dumps come from the Guru:

Secondly, share the dump (with the full description of the hardware) SOMEWHERE and sooner or later a MAMEDev takes a look at it and if he or she finds any problem he or she will contact you asking for more specific info or for a re-dump of some parts."

Thank you MooglyGuy for the answers to the previous post.

Edited by SYS5962065 (12/20/20 07:09 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#389072 - 12/20/20 11:53 AM

> > You know when he says it's his 1st post and to be kind, that it's liable to annoy
> > people. And asking about the legality of a ROM...Who does that sound like?
>
> Sounds like someone who is curious what happens to the ROMS/PROMS after they get
> dumped, by the Guru, who is a Mamedev (an extremely skilled one too).
>

Yep, obvious troll at this point. Guru is not a Mamedev, in fact he has a terrible reputation with a large part of the team due to some actions in the last few years.

Banhammer time I feel.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#389074 - 12/20/20 12:49 PM

> Guru, who is a Mamedev

Wrong.

> His site describes how dumped images from boards purchased from donors,

Donors donate. Sellers gets things purchased from them. Get it right.

> My friend's question is generally basic. How does the ROM/PROM get to the general
> public?

You don't need to know.

> the majority of the dumps come from the Guru:

That might possibly have been right years ago (maybe), but now he is a minor player.

> Thank you MooglyGuy for the answers to the previous post.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Software ROM/PROM documentation in Mame Question. new [Re: Robbbert]
#389075 - 12/20/20 12:54 PM

> > Guru, who is a Mamedev
>
> Wrong.
>
>
> > His site describes how dumped images from boards purchased from donors,
>
> Donors donate. Sellers gets things purchased from them. Get it right.
>
>
> > My friend's question is generally basic. How does the ROM/PROM get to the general
> > public?
>
> You don't need to know.
>
>
> > the majority of the dumps come from the Guru:
>
> That might possibly have been right years ago (maybe), but now he is a minor player.
>
>
> > Thank you MooglyGuy for the answers to the previous post.

Not much else can be said that hasn't been replied already. To OP, you should have enough answers to your questions at this point. Locking the thread.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 692